• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Re-designating at OCS (VERY IMPORTANT)

exNavyOffRec

I don't know how much I would buy into the title of this thread. I'm currently in OCS and know all the aviators who were DQ'ed were still given the option to redesignate. One of my classmates was told he was DQ'ed week one and they're working on getting him redesignated to Intel. Three candidates that were a few classes ahead of me were redesignated before they graduated, two from SNA to NFO and the other was NFO to SWO.

RUFi0181 had the info from NRC, which wouldn't have put out something like that if NPC wasn't going to do that, so it may not be affecting your class but they very well could have a date where it will be effective with class xx

BleedGreen

pilot
Very good point, it could turn out to be one of those things like the roll-out of the new ASTB in that case.

exNavyOffRec

But SWO is a different community altogether, I think if there was one switch that would survive this rule it would be SNA to SNFO. I imagine that SNFO slots open up more often than SWO because of the NPQs. Plus there will be SNFO DORs, unlike restricted line communities that take single or low double digits every year.

I am just looking at the numbers, NFO has a significantly fewer number of spots than both SNA and SWO (via OCS), so the same issue that is coming up when it comes to numbers being affected for say Intel is going to be the same issue when people redesignate from SNA to NFO.

True, there will be SNFO DOR's/DQ's, but I actually can't think of a single NFO that DOR'd/DQ from my NRD in over three years, most were SNA and they went to either NFO or SWO.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
True, there will be SNFO DOR's/DQ's, but I actually can't think of a single NFO that DOR'd/DQ from my NRD in over three years, most were SNA and they went to either NFO or SWO.

Interesting, because other than vision and anthros (NFO only need one pipeline open, NA need two IIRC), aren't the flight physical requirements the same?

exNavyOffRec

Interesting, because other than vision and anthros (NFO only need one pipeline open, NA need two IIRC), aren't the flight physical requirements the same?

I think part of it may be that since SNA goal is much larger that we tend to see more issues just due to the higher number of people, some of the SNA's that I saw DQ from flight would have been DQ from NFO as well if they were NFO's. In general the SNA I saw DQ from SNA were due to eyes or of all things a history of asthma, not sure what was going on but for a while I think every person that we sent to OCS who had an asthma waiver was DQ'd for aviation once arriving.

BleedGreen

pilot
I think part of it may be that since SNA goal is much larger that we tend to see more issues just due to the higher number of people, some of the SNA's that I saw DQ from flight would have been DQ from NFO as well if they were NFO's. In general the SNA I saw DQ from SNA were due to eyes or of all things a history of asthma, not sure what was going on but for a while I think every person that we sent to OCS who had an asthma waiver was DQ'd for aviation once arriving.
Were they not passing the diagnostic tests for asthma or something?

exNavyOffRec

Were they not passing the diagnostic tests for asthma or something?

I just think it was the doc that was doing the review at NAMI, I know some had to have MCT due to a true history of asthma, some had records of asthma when they were young kids but no issues later, some just had records that said "possible asthma" when they were kids, most were very physically fit and participated in sports in HS and/or college.

The joke, as bad as it is for a while was pretty much "what will Xxxxx be redesignated to at OCS".

ProsNest1

Not quite a new member
None
I wonder with the lower number of NFO spots compared to SNA how often they will be able to do this? Especially since SWO has more OCS spots than NFO and it looks like they won't let them go from SNA to SWO.

As someone else pointed out, SWO is a different community w/ a different PA and accession targets. For example, a 2.4 GPA with triple 9s on the ASTB is attractive to aviation, but not so to SWO who may want to hold for a higher GPA and doesn't care about ASTB. Regarding quotas, most who NPQ for SNA end up NPQ for SNFO as well. There is room for the few who do remain PQ for SNFO. We haven't come close to busting accession authorizations for many years. Last year we executed at 96% - and that was a pretty good year.

exNavyOffRec

As someone else pointed out, SWO is a different community w/ a different PA and accession targets. For example, a 2.4 GPA with triple 9s on the ASTB is attractive to aviation, but not so to SWO who may want to hold for a higher GPA and doesn't care about ASTB. Regarding quotas, most who NPQ for SNA end up NPQ for SNFO as well. There is room for the few who do remain PQ for SNFO. We haven't come close to busting accession authorizations for many years. Last year we executed at 96% - and that was a pretty good year.

executed at 96%, they must have a razor thin margin on what is sent to OCS.

NavySquid26

PRO-REC Y Supply June 2013
MEPS doesn't check anthros, and lets be honest, does anyone put stock in what MEPS says about your eyes :)
No we dont trust any MEPS does...I went to meps a month ago...and they got my prescription wrong...I told the doc it was way off, and I knew it was because I have had the same prescription in both eyes my entire life...-6.5 recently...they had me -6.5 in the left eye, and -7.5 in my right...it almost disqualified me there but the DOC said that I was still fully qualified...and I left that day with paperwork in hand..a month later N3M wants a full exam from my private doctor, with specific tests for things that my doc says are way above and beyond...things I would know I have already...AND I'M A SUPPLY SELECT...so I submitted my current exam and im hoping thats sufficient...doubtful...

exNavyOffRec

No we dont trust any MEPS does...I went to meps a month ago...and they got my prescription wrong...I told the doc it was way off, and I knew it was because I have had the same prescription in both eyes my entire life...-6.5 recently...they had me -6.5 in the left eye, and -7.5 in my right...it almost disqualified me there but the DOC said that I was still fully qualified...and I left that day with paperwork in hand..a month later N3M wants a full exam from my private doctor, with specific tests for things that my doc says are way above and beyond...things I would know I have already...AND I'M A SUPPLY SELECT...so I submitted my current exam and im hoping thats sufficient...doubtful...

The doc at MEPS was saying you are qualified for enlisted service, which you probably are, MEPS docs can't sign off on officer candidates, you should be good since Supply isn't URL.

NavySquid26

PRO-REC Y Supply June 2013
The doc at MEPS was saying you are qualified for enlisted service, which you probably are, MEPS docs can't sign off on officer candidates, you should be good since Supply isn't URL.
Thanks for the response....Yea I knew that the MEPS doc could only qualify me for service in general, but I also meet the program authorizations guidelines for eyes...more so its the tests that they want me to do, like to look for what they call "lattice degeneration" which my doc says they only test for if you have a family history of diabetes...so im frustrated to say the least lol

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
I am on leave by entering my final week at OCS. While I personally was PQ by NAMI and no one in my class (either company) has been NPQ I do know of others that got NPQ by NAMI. Here is how the process currently goes when a candidate is interested in redesignating; OTCN automatically puts that candidate in to be selected as a SWO. If selected for SWO that candidate has the option of taking that designation and selecting a ship or DORing. If a non-select for SWO then they will allow candidates to put in for Staff and RL designations (Supply, Intel, IW). But odds of someone at OCS to not get selected for SWO but then get selected for a designator with a small community is prob small. But that is the current redesignating process at OCS.

exNavyOffRec

I am on leave by entering my final week at OCS. While I personally was PQ by NAMI and no one in my class (either company) has been NPQ I do know of others that got NPQ by NAMI. Here is how the process currently goes when a candidate is interested in redesignating; OTCN automatically puts that candidate in to be selected as a SWO. If selected for SWO that candidate has the option of taking that designation and selecting a ship or DORing. If a non-select for SWO then they will allow candidates to put in for Staff and RL designations (Supply, Intel, IW). But odds of someone at OCS to not get selected for SWO but then get selected for a designator with a small community is prob small. But that is the current redesignating process at OCS.

So they no longer get to be reviewed for Staff or RL designators unless they are not picked by SWO? I am guessing if they are NPQ for something that makes them NPQ for SWO as well that they are allowed to apply right away for Staff and RL?

Something that might also be helpful for those here (if you know) is if a person is NPQ for SNA but PQ for SNFO are they just moving them right to SNFO?

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
So they no longer get to be reviewed for Staff or RL designators unless they are not picked by SWO? I am guessing if they are NPQ for something that makes them NPQ for SWO as well that they are allowed to apply right away for Staff and RL?

Something that might also be helpful for those here (if you know) is if a person is NPQ for SNA but PQ for SNFO are they just moving them right to SNFO?
No SWO first. I think that is a reason SWO boards are selecting so low is that aviation that is NPQ get the option to go SWO only first. I would assume that they can still go SNFO. The two guys that I mentioned were NPQ for the aviation community (surgery and months of high blood pressure). But you are correct no SWO then you can look at Staff and RL. But they aren't letting people go straight over to Staff and RL designators anymore. But its not NPQ and go home. I will say if a candidate get NPQ they are hearing this from NAMI the flight docs at OCS are great and will work with candidates.