• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Re-designating at OCS (VERY IMPORTANT)

BleedGreen

pilot
Thanks. I understand, I would think that should I or someone be "forced" to redesignate, they could say, "hey, I was pro-rec Y for [insert designator], could we try to redesignate me to that." I guess they could probably say whatever they want, but would it actually help or give them a "shoe-in?" Maybe not. It was on my APSR for a reason, and SWO wasn't. I would still choose SWO over going home, but it would definitely not be my first choice if I get NPQ'd from SNA.
A lot of things with the military that simply make sense are not standard practice. The good thing about being pro-rec'd for SWO-IW means you meet the criteria for that program.

BleedGreen

pilot
I see-- thank you for the response RUFiO-- I was Pro Rec Y for SNA and NFO in the most recent board and am weighing my final decision. Having had a bad MEPS eye exam put the fear of God into me as far as getting the NAMI whammy later on down the road (even though two eye doctors cleared me via waivers afterwards).

It would be a tough pill to swallow if I took the Pilot spot and had something come up that NPQ'ed me at MEPS, and I could not re-designate into NFO. First and foremost, I want to serve in any capacity that I can, but I fought tooth and nail to qualify for aviation, and don't want to jeopardize my spot in the sky (God willing).
I can tell you from experience the vision at OCS and at NAMI later are more difficult than a standard eye test. Personally my measurements come out a little worse when measured to their testing standards.
Have you considered corrective eye surgery? If you went down that road you would have to give up your pro-rec and reapply after you fulfill the post operative time requirements. That sounds a little scary to give up your pro-rec but if your barely scraping by the eye test now, it only gets more difficult at OCS. You'll end up taking the vision test during the first few days when your sleep deprived, dehydrated and most likely fasting for the blood tests you have to complete that morning. By all means the standards are still reachable under these conditions, but those who are borderline are really gambling at that point.
My room mate barely passed the eye tests at OCS and NAMI. Even though he passed, he wishes he would've known about LASIK or PRK being authorized before he signed up just to relieve one more stressor while going through training.
Regardless, corrective eye surgery is a serious decision and you have to meet the minimum requirements. They can be found in NAMI's waiver gudielines online if you google it.

A$AP

None
I can tell you from experience the vision at OCS and at NAMI later are more difficult than a standard eye test. Personally my measurements come out a little worse when measured to their testing standards.
Have you considered corrective eye surgery? If you went down that road you would have to give up your pro-rec and reapply after you fulfill the post operative time requirements. That sounds a little scary to give up your pro-rec but if your barely scraping by the eye test now, it only gets more difficult at OCS. You'll end up taking the vision test during the first few days when your sleep deprived, dehydrated and most likely fasting for the blood tests you have to complete that morning. By all means the standards are still reachable under these conditions, but those who are borderline are really gambling at that point.
My room mate barely passed the eye tests at OCS and NAMI. Even though he passed, he wishes he would've known about LASIK or PRK being authorized before he signed up just to relieve one more stressor while going through training.
Regardless, corrective eye surgery is a serious decision and you have to meet the minimum requirements. They can be found in NAMI's waiver gudielines online if you google it.

Yeah I asked my eye doctor about the PRK route but he didn't think it would be worth it; my eyes are 20/25 and 20/30 respectively, and together read 20/20. I do have glasses with a very weak prescription that I use at my own discretion. Basically, I only wear them while hunting. Technically, from a civilian eye doc standpoint, my eyes fall easily within Pilot standards.

However, the more research I do into the NFO route, the more attracted to that designator I am. Plus, I feel that I've been given an opportunity in the sky whether the stick is in my hands or my fellow aviator's. I don't want to squander my chances of serving in the sky, but I know that it used to be that guys would re-designate to NFO at OCS if hit with the NAMI whammy.

If I knew that I was guaranteed NFO if I was NPQ for Pilot, I would select Pilot and roll the dice. However, the possibility of going home or being put in Supply or SWO-land and out of Navy Aviation completely if found NPQ is a big risk. The way I'm looking at it, I was selected for Pilot and NFO, so I want to serve in Aviation (God willing).

Thanks for the response and advice, BleedGreen!

BleedGreen

pilot
Yeah I asked my eye doctor about the PRK route but he didn't think it would be worth it; my eyes are 20/25 and 20/30 respectively, and together read 20/20. I do have glasses with a very weak prescription that I use at my own discretion. Basically, I only wear them while hunting. Technically, from a civilian eye doc standpoint, my eyes fall easily within Pilot standards.

However, the more research I do into the NFO route, the more attracted to that designator I am. Plus, I feel that I've been given an opportunity in the sky whether the stick is in my hands or my fellow aviator's. I don't want to squander my chances of serving in the sky, but I know that it used to be that guys would re-designate to NFO at OCS if hit with the NAMI whammy.

If I knew that I was guaranteed NFO if I was NPQ for Pilot, I would select Pilot and roll the dice. However, the possibility of going home or being put in Supply or SWO-land and out of Navy Aviation completely if found NPQ is a big risk. The way I'm looking at it, I was selected for Pilot and NFO, so I want to serve in Aviation (God willing).

Thanks for the response and advice, BleedGreen!

No worries. Good luck to you!

A$AP

None
No SWO first. I think that is a reason SWO boards are selecting so low is that aviation that is NPQ get the option to go SWO only first. I would assume that they can still go SNFO. The two guys that I mentioned were NPQ for the aviation community (surgery and months of high blood pressure). But you are correct no SWO then you can look at Staff and RL. But they aren't letting people go straight over to Staff and RL designators anymore. But its not NPQ and go home. I will say if a candidate get NPQ they are hearing this from NAMI the flight docs at OCS are great and will work with candidates.
Hey Mr Spenz-- thanks for the info on this. Sorry to keep asking the same question on this thread, but I haven't really received a concrete answer yet. If one is found NPQ for Pilot, but PQ for NFO, can they or can they NOT re-designate to NFO? Even if the board selected them for both Pilot and NFO? My case is this-- Pro Rec Y for SNA/ NFO, Pro Rec N for SWO. If I get NPQ for Pilot but am still PQ for NFO, I have to go SWO first?

Thanks for any clarification you can provide.

BleedGreen

pilot
Hey Mr Spenz-- thanks for the info on this. Sorry to keep asking the same question on this thread, but I haven't really received a concrete answer yet. If one is found NPQ for Pilot, but PQ for NFO, can they or can they NOT re-designate to NFO? Even if the board selected them for both Pilot and NFO? My case is this-- Pro Rec Y for SNA/ NFO, Pro Rec N for SWO. If I get NPQ for Pilot but am still PQ for NFO, I have to go SWO first?

Thanks for any clarification you can provide.

Yes. If you go to OCS as a pilot and are found NPQ for pilot, but still qualify for NFO they will switch you to NFO first. That is normally how things are done but anything is possible.

A$AP

None
Yes. If you go to OCS as a pilot and are found NPQ for pilot, but still qualify for NFO they will switch you to NFO first. That is normally how things are done but anything is possible.
Thanks BleedGreen-- I appreciate the response! This takes a bit of the worry off!

CodyLand

Enter custom title here
pilot
We had an SNA finish the program, get DQed, and refuse to redesignate to SWO...last I heard he is going to re-do OCS for intel. Sucks.

And now this genius is going to be an intelligence officer? God help us all.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
And now this genius is going to be an intelligence officer? God help us all.

Intel-Os who were redesignated fall into two camps: Those who actually want to do intel, and those who are just avoiding SWO and want to stay in the Navy. I fall into the former group, asked for a squadron an I'm really loving it. The navy wouldn't let me fly, but I get to read and talk about jets and missiles for a living (in other words, I'm being paid to do my hobby). Work only feels like work when I'm doing collateral duty stuff. Other folks who were just avoiding SWO find it boring and typically weren't happy.

Now, what this would show me if I was on his IDC board is that he falls into the camp that actually wants intel vice merely avoiding SWO.

exNavyOffRec

Intel-Os who were redesignated fall into two camps: Those who actually want to do intel, and those who are just avoiding SWO and want to stay in the Navy. I fall into the former group, asked for a squadron an I'm really loving it. The navy wouldn't let me fly, but I get to read and talk about jets and missiles for a living (in other words, I'm being paid to do my hobby). Work only feels like work when I'm doing collateral duty stuff. Other folks who were just avoiding SWO find it boring and typically weren't happy.

Now, what this would show me if I was on his IDC board is that he falls into the camp that actually wants intel vice merely avoiding SWO.

I think this guys biggest hurdle is that he DOR'd, we had an individual that tried to get back to OCS for an IDC designator, he had a great application, graduate degrees with very high GPA's, work experience, etc, etc... and the ONLY negative thing on his application was DOR, never selected by the board again.

however.... a DOR we had who wanted to go aviation did eventually get back in, took the ASTB 3 times, on the last time he had all 8's and the board picked him.