• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Re-designating at OCS (VERY IMPORTANT)

exNavyOffRec

No SWO first. I think that is a reason SWO boards are selecting so low is that aviation that is NPQ get the option to go SWO only first. I would assume that they can still go SNFO. The two guys that I mentioned were NPQ for the aviation community (surgery and months of high blood pressure). But you are correct no SWO then you can look at Staff and RL. But they aren't letting people go straight over to Staff and RL designators anymore. But its not NPQ and go home. I will say if a candidate get NPQ they are hearing this from NAMI the flight docs at OCS are great and will work with candidates.

Good info.

I wonder if the NPQ and go home is still "in the works" as in the past anyone NPQ for their designator was able to put in for any designator they were qualified for, it seems that has changed and I wonder if the current policy is kind of a "transition period", what they are doing now does make sense as when you have designators with 30 spots per year (Intel for example) a few OCS redesignations into that designator makes a big impact.

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
Ya. No one here at OTCN has heard about the NPQ and go home. Its a waste of money when we have candidates that aren't "fly or go home" and actually want to serve. But NAMI sent me my PQ so personally I am happy. Its just most people don't want to go SWO. If I was NPQ I would have taken SWO.

exNavyOffRec

Ya. No one here at OTCN has heard about the NPQ and go home. Its a waste of money when we have candidates that aren't "fly or go home" and actually want to serve. But NAMI sent me my PQ so personally I am happy. Its just most people don't want to go SWO. If I was NPQ I would have taken SWO.

To me that says it is in the works but not put into place yet, probably like most things dealing with NRC it takes a while, I myself think it would be a waste of money as well.

A$AP

None
So has this protocol been implemented at OCS yet? Or can SNAs still re-designate to NFO if an eyesight issue comes up? The reason I ask is because earlier on in the thread, it was thought that maybe it was a protocol that would be coming soon. Thanks!

BleedGreen

pilot
The protocol was put in place to keep a URL candidate (unrestricted line officer) within a URL community. With that said, if you still meet the requirements for NFO then, yes, you can redesignate to NFO, as long as the community isn't full.
A caveat to that, if you go to OCS as URL and need to get redesignated but all the URL communities are full or you don't qualify for them, they will try and place you in another community. This just happened to a classmate of mine, he went to OCS as an SNA, got DQ'ed, SWO was full, and they were able to give him supply. It's not the end of the road if all the URL billets are filled, they can still try and place you in another community.

jander12

pilot
Does having been pro-rec for another community give you a higher chance of re-designating to that community assuming you get NPQ'd from your original selection? My situation: pro rec SNA, NFO, and IW. I sometimes worry about this NAMI Whammy situation and wonder what my choices would be should it happen - I think IW would be my first "second choice" if SNA becomes a no-go.

BleedGreen

pilot
Does having been pro-rec for another community give you a higher chance of re-designating to that community assuming you get NPQ'd from your original selection? My situation: pro rec SNA, NFO, and IW. I sometimes worry about this NAMI Whammy situation and wonder what my choices would be should it happen - I think IW would be my first "second choice" if SNA becomes a no-go.
I can't answer that 100 percent but i can give my .02 cents. Although you were pro-rec for those communities, you commit to one designator once you sign the dotted line. Those options are no longer openly offered like that OCS once you commit to your first choice (or second or third). Again, that's just the way I interpret it.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
It's needs of the Navy, but if you have certain qualifications (Civil Engineering, etc.) you might be eligible to apply or choose certain programs.

A$AP

None
It's needs of the Navy, but if you have certain qualifications (Civil Engineering, etc.) you might be eligible to apply or choose certain programs.
I see-- thank you for the response RUFiO-- I was Pro Rec Y for SNA and NFO in the most recent board and am weighing my final decision. Having had a bad MEPS eye exam put the fear of God into me as far as getting the NAMI whammy later on down the road (even though two eye doctors cleared me via waivers afterwards).

It would be a tough pill to swallow if I took the Pilot spot and had something come up that NPQ'ed me at MEPS, and I could not re-designate into NFO. First and foremost, I want to serve in any capacity that I can, but I fought tooth and nail to qualify for aviation, and don't want to jeopardize my spot in the sky (God willing).

gp360

We had an SNA finish the program, get DQed, and refuse to redesignate to SWO...last I heard he is going to re-do OCS for intel. Sucks.

Last edited:

jander12

pilot
I can't answer that 100 percent but i can give my .02 cents. Although you were pro-rec for those communities, you commit to one designator once you sign the dotted line. Those options are no longer openly offered like that OCS once you commit to your first choice (or second or third). Again, that's just the way I interpret it.
Thanks. I understand, I would think that should I or someone be "forced" to redesignate, they could say, "hey, I was pro-rec Y for [insert designator], could we try to redesignate me to that." I guess they could probably say whatever they want, but would it actually help or give them a "shoe-in?" Maybe not. It was on my APSR for a reason, and SWO wasn't. I would still choose SWO over going home, but it would definitely not be my first choice if I get NPQ'd from SNA.