• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Re-designating at OCS (VERY IMPORTANT)

ijl5354

Hi Everyone,

Long time lurker on the site. I thought I would introduce myself at this time because I think it's fitting. I was one of the unfortunate individuals that was involuntarily separated with the USAF a few years ago after washing out of flight school. Looking at how everything has been going the past few years, it seems like I was part of the first waves of people that started getting pink slips. My "about me" sections is pretty self-explanatory and I've been looking at getting back into the game for the past 3 years. It has been quite the battle over the past few years, but I don't have any plans on stopping. The way I see it, I'm going to keep applying until I depart this world. Good luck to everyone applying and remember that if you want something bad enough, you will make the needed sacrifices (time, effort, etc.).

Reactions: m26

exNavyOffRec

I've seen flight school folks from either USNA or NROTC who drop out and get out. Some might get IRR or SELRES if they so choose, but for the most part they walk away debt free. Seen it happen frequently.

I saw several USNA/NROTC guys who were dropped in flight school that spent time at my NRD on the way to IRR as well

g.anderson8

Thought I would chime in here. I came to OCS August 2013 in hopes of becoming an NFO. I finally commisioned yesterday and I'm awaiting orders to finally get the hell out of here (yes, that's 9 MONTHS at OCS). Its a looong story. I'm going to start a separate thread after this if you want the entire low-down. The short version: I had an eye problem that the navy fixed while I was in training yet I was still NPQ'd 2 days before graduation. I was told I could DOR or redesignate. I've been in student pool for 6 months and it seems each class of 80-90 people has an average of about 3 poor souls that face the same news. Some are NPQ'd from military service altogether and sent home. The rest are given the same options I was given. For those that choose to redesignate, every person, regardless of GPA, major, preference, prior service, whatever, have been forced to apply first to SWO. When I first arrived in student pool last December, most people that applied for SWO were accepted. Recently, more and more folks have been turned down, which most people are happy about as they could now apply to other communities. Seems like just about every class has at least one guy that is convinced he will go INTEL. Only 2 guys have managed to get interviews. Only one of them got selected and he had 8 years prior service and his information dominance pin! The only other community I've seen anyone get into has been supply and there have been maybe half a dozen that have made it. I have a business minor and I was selected for an interview to go supply after being turned down for SWO. I got my hands on my NPQ letter before that interview and discovered that I was only NPQ'd temporarily due to the surgery I had. I was luckily able to wait out my recovery and I just got the call as I write this to go pick up my orders to Pensacola!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thought I would chime in here. I came to OCS August 2013 in hopes of becoming an NFO....The short version: I had an eye problem that the navy fixed while I was in training yet I was still NPQ'd 2 days before graduation. I was told I could DOR or redesignate.....I got my hands on my NPQ letter before that interview and discovered that I was only NPQ'd temporarily due to the surgery I had. I was luckily able to wait out my recovery and I just got the call as I write this to go pick up my orders to Pensacola!

How the hell did someone not tell you that you were only temporarily NPQ'd? Or just show you the NPQ letter to begin with?

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
How the hell did someone not tell you that you were only temporarily NPQ'd? Or just show you the NPQ letter to begin with?
can we request these letters should this happen to us to make sure we cover our bases or are these letters always in the hands of someone else?

theghettodefendant

None
Thought I would chime in here. I came to OCS August 2013 in hopes of becoming an NFO. I finally commisioned yesterday and I'm awaiting orders to finally get the hell out of here (yes, that's 9 MONTHS at OCS). Its a looong story. I'm going to start a separate thread after this if you want the entire low-down. The short version: I had an eye problem that the navy fixed while I was in training yet I was still NPQ'd 2 days before graduation. I was told I could DOR or redesignate. I've been in student pool for 6 months and it seems each class of 80-90 people has an average of about 3 poor souls that face the same news. Some are NPQ'd from military service altogether and sent home. The rest are given the same options I was given. For those that choose to redesignate, every person, regardless of GPA, major, preference, prior service, whatever, have been forced to apply first to SWO. When I first arrived in student pool last December, most people that applied for SWO were accepted. Recently, more and more folks have been turned down, which most people are happy about as they could now apply to other communities. Seems like just about every class has at least one guy that is convinced he will go INTEL. Only 2 guys have managed to get interviews. Only one of them got selected and he had 8 years prior service and his information dominance pin! The only other community I've seen anyone get into has been supply and there have been maybe half a dozen that have made it. I have a business minor and I was selected for an interview to go supply after being turned down for SWO. I got my hands on my NPQ letter before that interview and discovered that I was only NPQ'd temporarily due to the surgery I had. I was luckily able to wait out my recovery and I just got the call as I write this to go pick up my orders to Pensacola!
What was the eye problem that they fixed for you?

g.anderson8

I had a small peripheral retinal hole. It wouldn't have normally needed surgery and I had no symptoms but enough fluid had come through that the surgeon wanted to go ahead and patch it up.
The only reason I got my hands on a physical copy of my nami letter was I specifically asked for it. Prior to that they just told me I was npq. Nothing more.

reFLYluwasch

pilot
Thanks for the heads up. Right on for being proactive!

BleedGreen

pilot
can we request these letters should this happen to us to make sure we cover our bases or are these letters always in the hands of someone else?
If you're NPQ'ed at OCS i would highly recommend getting a copy if your NAMI letter to verify the information. I had a class mate who was granted a waiver for an eye issue but his letter only specified being cleared for NFO, even though he was a pilot candidate. His class officer, not familiar with the whole NAMI process, interpreted that as being NPQ from pilot. At that point they were trying to force him to accept orders to Pensacola for NFO. Long story short, it turned out that the corpsman wrote down the wrong designator in his application for the waiver, which is why it did not mention pilot. After a few phone calls and speaking with the flight surgeon the error was fixed, however he was very close to accepting the changes because of someone else's misinformation.

jander12

pilot
... For those that choose to redesignate, every person, regardless of GPA, major, preference, prior service, whatever, have been forced to apply first to SWO...
Is this only if you're NPQ'd for aviation? In other words, are they still allowing NPQ'd SNAs go NFO before the SWO application?

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
If you're NPQ'ed at OCS i would highly recommend getting a copy if your NAMI letter to verify the information. I had a class mate who was granted a waiver for an eye issue but his letter only specified being cleared for NFO, even though he was a pilot candidate. His class officer, not familiar with the whole NAMI process, interpreted that as being NPQ from pilot. At that point they were trying to force him to accept orders to Pensacola for NFO. Long story short, it turned out that the corpsman wrote down the wrong designator in his application for the waiver, which is why it did not mention pilot. After a few phone calls and speaking with the flight surgeon the error was fixed, however he was very close to accepting the changes because of someone else's misinformation.
S.O.a.B

BleedGreen

pilot
Is this only if you're NPQ'd for aviation? In other words, are they still allowing NPQ'd SNAs go NFO before the SWO application?
As long as your qualified for NFO then yes they will try to keep in aviation. That was as of Jan so my info could be a little dated.

mitrokhin

It kills me to read this. I already have terrible hearing and vision. MEPS cleared me for NFO. NFO was my fifth choice of designator, and I thought I was quite competitive for IDC but was rejected from that board all around. Above all else, I want to be an officer. I've been reading about it. I've put my life on hold for OCS. And it'd really make me feel badly if I get there and see others dropped next to me, even if it isn't myself.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
It kills me to read this. I already have terrible hearing and vision. MEPS cleared me for NFO. NFO was my fifth choice of designator, and I thought I was quite competitive for IDC but was rejected from that board all around. Above all else, I want to be an officer. I've been reading about it. I've put my life on hold for OCS. And it'd really make me feel badly if I get there and see others dropped next to me, even if it isn't myself.

Some IDC jobs take single digits per year, and others take around 10%, so don't be too hard on yourself about IDC stuff.

And yes, it does hurt to watch others get picked off. On top of that, my brother failed out of USAF flight school the same week that I got NPQed. It was a pretty horrible time for my family, and a real shitty end to the great awesome fun time that is OCS.

dschorr

OCS 20JUL2014
I report to OCS on 20JUL2014 as an SNA as part of 01-15. I am border line with vision, with my eyes at 20/30 and 20/40. Any chance of a more favorable climate to redesignate SWO in the new fiscal year should I get DQ'ed by NAMI?