• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

rates that might help

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How can you prove you have "potential to be an officer" in A-school? What does getting good grades in an entry-level school have to do with becoming an officer?
Spoken like a true professional who's never experienced nuke 'A' school, power school, or even prototype for that matter.

El Phantasmo

I was accused of sleepwalking by a shipmate in my barracks. Never knew who it was, and never thought I was capable of it until my MTI brought me into his office. But this is goin of the STA-21 talks were suppose to be havin here, and i dont mean to be rude but Ill take care of the DD214 and tryin to get back in. thanks for the concern though.

Sorry about the grammer Ive been writing Poly Sci papers all day so im taken a break from writing good grammer

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Spoken like a true professional who's never experienced nuke 'A' school, power school, or even prototype for that matter.

I really wasn't trying to be argumentative. If the answer is, it's a really, really, long school, fine. Do the students have leadership billets while they are there? Is nuke the only MOS school you can get picked up form?

Really, I have heard of sailors getting picked up for officer programs very early in their careers. I've never heard of this happening in the Marines, and I just want to know about the difference in philosophies.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
I really wasn't trying to be argumentative. If the answer is, it's a really, really, long school, fine. Do the students have leadership billets while they are there? Is nuke the only MOS school you can get picked up form?

Really, I have heard of sailors getting picked up for officer programs very early in their careers. I've never heard of this happening in the Marines, and I just want to know about the difference in philosophies.

The reason that this may seem odd is because STA-21 has wrapped up over a dozen commissioning programs into one. It used to be that A-schoolers would get picked up for NROTC scholorships or BOOST as well as N-ECP. ROTC and BOOST produce Navy as well as Marine officers. These programs are now all tied into STA-21 as well as the old ECP and Seaman to Admiral program, which take proven, but usually older, fleet sailors. I don't know if the Marines have an equivalent or if they allow young privates to apply for NROTC or BOOST. May just be a difference in the philosophies of the different services. I dunno.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC

There are leadership billets in the class.
No one I know of was picked up while still in A-school, most nukes have at least finished Power School.

A school is 3 months for MM's and 6 for EM's and ET's. Power School is six months, and prototype is six months.

The nuclear option of STA 21 is the only one that requires applicants to be in the training pipeline to apply. Nukes at sea cannot apply to the nuclear target option of STA 21. Instructors at the school and prototype are eligible to apply, but they are competing for 10 slots wheras students are competing for 50.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
It was about this...

If they could prove that they were qualified as enlisted folks, the Navy would commission them on the spot and save all the time and money it takes right now to mold great enlisted raw material into an officer.

I mean, yes, I'm a Marine, but you don't have to break it down THAT Barney-style...(AW smilies back in effect):icon_tong