• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

rates that might help

El Phantasmo

no just EOD maybe but i dont know if im that much about the guts and glory and i dont want to be distracted from school. what makes u think I wanna be a nuke and push all day-that sucks.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
I'm sorry during what part of the extreemly intensive training or deployments were you planning on getting some school done?

El Phantasmo

if u are far along in completing your degree will they at some point just tell u to apply for OCS? and if so what point is that? But most of all how easy is it to take classes while in?

Tibmag

Your profile says your just looking for an edge in flight school, since you were enlisted once already, you should know that the only way to get a sure fire seat in flight school, is STA-21 pilot option, or getting picked up OCS for an aviation designator. So, it seems, with STA-21 applications only happening once a year, and whether you get core, or pilot being up to a board, that OCS would be your best bet, especially if your in school now.

If you want to enlist, enlist because thats what you want to do, don't enlist because you think it will make you more desireable as an officer. Also, remember the age ceiling without a waiver is 27, with a waiver 29. If you were enlisted once your probably in your mid 20's, you could really put yourself in a bind with deadlines if you screw around with an enlistement to try to finish school.

El Phantasmo

good point but i was discharged on a bogus discharge and and im only 20 so im still alittle ripe i guess. but since im 20 and was enlisted for awhile i only have so much school under my belt(mostly EMS and Firetech classes) so really this is my first semester with classes that can even transfer into a 4 year so in reality in startin over.

What is core anyways? Ive seen it a few times and I dont think ive ever heard of it?

Tibmag

a bogus discharge?

anything other then medical, or honorable (and even medical depending on the nature of the discharge) may cause a problem for you in any attempt to get a commission.

Officer school applications are very competitive, and the Navy is cutting numbers right now, offering buyouts to those close to retirement, so trying to get in, with a discharge on record, might be close to impossible.

Stubby

Ask the Chief
In this forum, members can only answer questions generally, and then based on the information that you provide. In order for you to get an accurate assessment of your chances to reach your desired goal, you really need to sit down with an officer recruiter who can go over all of your specifics.

A "bogus discharge" can mean a lot of different things, and you really need not go into specifics here. Again, you need to sit down with a Human being and go over specifics. Go and speak with an enlisted recruiter and see if you will even be allowed to re-enlist. Tibmag is very correct about your discharge potentially having a very negative impact on your chances as an officer.... I'll even take it one step farther; it could also close some doors for you as an "E". The jobs that you have expressed an interest in require more than the minimum physical fitness, and they also require a security clearance (as does being an officer). Your discharge (depending on the specifics) may play a roll in those requirements.

I'm not trying to discourage you or dissuade you. My advice is go and speak with human beings with whom you can lay out your specifics and get an accurate assessment.

Again, good luck.

El Phantasmo

i understand this and its a long story involving sleepwalking that i didnt do but at the same time my DD214 says i can go back so believe me when i say im looking into it. i wouldnt even try to back if my discharge would hinder me in what i want to do, i like other people dont want to be stuck in a situation i dont want to be in, but everything seems to be in my favor of not only goin back in but at least getting a enlisted contract i want. Im workin with my old recruiter( a good on by the way) to make sure everything will work out ok. i wouldnt bother u all for your time unless i thought it would work out and i greatly appreciate all your feedback, its been a huge boost in confidence for me, but im a determined and detecated guy right now so if the doors open in shovin my foot in it.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This thread hurts my head. El P, tell us exactly why you were discharged and what the codes were on your DD-214. There's no such thing as a "bogus" discharge.

Brett

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
This thread hurts my grammar teacher's head....:confused:

In all seriousness...Lots of good advice here. Stubby is 100% correct. It sounds as though your situation is one that requires some one on one human discussion...That said, if you want to tell us what the heck you mean by a bogus discharge, we could probably tell you how it will effect your chances.

And use capital letters, grammar and punctuation....they are your friends. Make an attempt anyway....

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Back to basics for this Marine. I'm reading that some guys get picked for STA-21 right out of A-school. This seems insane to me. How can a sailor prove himself qualified to be an officer merely on the basis of initial training?

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I'm reading that some guys get picked for STA-21 right out of A-school. This seems insane to me. How can a sailor prove himself qualified to be an officer merely on the basis of initial training?

This has always been true, its not new because of STA-21. Many of the guys in my A-school and power school classes got picked up for 2 or 4 year ROTC, the Academy etc....

To answer your question though...in the Navy's thinking, the sailor can't prove himself qualified as an enlisted person...that's why he or she will go to NSI, college, and ROTC drill after they get picked up. What they can prove is that they have the potential to be an officer. If they could prove that they were qualified as enlisted folks, the Navy would commission them on the spot and save all the time and money it takes right now to mold great enlisted raw material into an officer.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
This has always been true, its not new because of STA-21. Many of the guys in my A-school and power school classes got picked up for 2 or 4 year ROTC, the Academy etc....

To answer your question though...in the Navy's thinking, the sailor can't prove himself qualified as an enlisted person...that's why he or she will go to NSI, college, and ROTC drill after they get picked up. What they can prove is that they have the potential to be an officer. If they could prove that they were qualified as enlisted folks, the Navy would commission them on the spot and save all the time and money it takes right now to mold great enlisted raw material into an officer.

Thanks for the primer on officer qualifications, boot. Excuse me for not writing clearly. How can you prove you have "potential to be an officer" in A-school? What does getting good grades in an entry-level school have to do with becoming an officer? It would seem that they might need to prove themselves as enlisted leaders before getting picked up for an officer program. That's what Marines have to do.

Maybe that could be an indictment of most officer programs, but I guess my point is that if you'll accept a kid into a commissioning program after just a few weeks of boot camp and A-school, why not just take him into an officer program right after high-school in the first place?

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the primer on officer qualifications, boot.

Easy...not like I just fell off the turnip truck. I made no indictment of you...I'd ask for the same courtesy.

Maybe that could be an indictment of most officer programs,

We agree...that was my point as well...I didn't make the system and I'm not sure I agree with it...but there it is and it has been that way for many, many years.