• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

rates that might help

El Phantasmo

when it comes to applying for STA-21 is there any rates that might look better or maybe any kind of spec warfare? im just lookin for any edge besides education and good evals. Oh and is STA-21 the best way to a commission through being active duty?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey, I lived in Redlands.

Nukes tend to do quite well in getting picked up.

Stubby

Ask the Chief
Steve is correct, Nukes do tend to do well in getting picked up, but by design, STA-21 applicants can be from any rate. I don't necessarily think that any warfare community is better than another, but a warfare qualification is pretty much a must. You can get a pin in any community (Surface Warfare, Air Warfare, Submarine Warfare, Construction Battalion, Fleet Marine Service), but in some cases must be on sea duty to enroll in the program.

The bottom line is, do well at whatever you do. Don't fall into the trap of "I'm going to be an officer, so I don't need to worry about being an enlisted man.". From the feedback from the boards every year, they look for a few things regularly:

1. Ability - Do you meet the basic requirements? This goes into test scores, evals, age, years of service, etc. The specific requirements may vary depending on which specific officer program you are pursuing (i.e. medical, pilot, special warfare, etc.)
2. Desire - It takes a lot of work and a lot of research to put together an officer package. If you don't take the time to put together a good package, it shows.
3. Recommendations - You will receive a written recommendation from your Commanding Officer as well as a few other officers who will interview you as a panel. They look at how you conduct yourself, handle pressure, how well you know the program for which you are applying, among other things. (There was a thread here recently about board questions you may want to look at).
4. Persistence - You may not get picked up the first time. Don't give up. I've seen some people that I didn't think would get picked up make it through, while others who I thought would be good officers gave up.

Is STA-21 the best way to get a commission while on active duty? STA-21 is now the umbrella program for all enlisted commissioning programs. If you do not already have a degree (in which case you could apply for OCS directly), you will fall under the STA-21 program.

Here is a link that will give you more information about STA-21.
https://www.sta-21.navy.mil/

You really also should speak to your Command Career Counselor and some of the officers in your command who were commissioned through accession programs. Good Luck.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Steve is correct, Nukes do tend to do well in getting picked up, but by design, STA-21 applicants can be from any rate. I don't necessarily think that any warfare community is better than another, but a warfare qualification is pretty much a must. You can get a pin in any community (Surface Warfare, Air Warfare, Submarine Warfare, Construction Battalion, Fleet Marine Service), but in some cases must be on sea duty to enroll in the program.

The bottom line is, do well at whatever you do. Don't fall into the trap of "I'm going to be an officer, so I don't need to worry about being an enlisted man.". From the feedback from the boards every year, they look for a few things regularly:

1. Ability - Do you meet the basic requirements? This goes into test scores, evals, age, years of service, etc. The specific requirements may vary depending on which specific officer program you are pursuing (i.e. medical, pilot, special warfare, etc.)
2. Desire - It takes a lot of work and a lot of research to put together an officer package. If you don't take the time to put together a good package, it shows.
3. Recommendations - You will receive a written recommendation from your Commanding Officer as well as a few other officers who will interview you as a panel. They look at how you conduct yourself, handle pressure, how well you know the program for which you are applying, among other things. (There was a thread here recently about board questions you may want to look at).
4. Persistence - You may not get picked up the first time. Don't give up. I've seen some people that I didn't think would get picked up make it through, while others who I thought would be good officers gave up.

Is STA-21 the best way to get a commission while on active duty? STA-21 is now the umbrella program for all enlisted commissioning programs. If you do not already have a degree (in which case you could apply for OCS directly), you will fall under the STA-21 program.

Here is a link that will give you more information about STA-21.
https://www.sta-21.navy.mil/

You really also should speak to your Command Career Counselor and some of the officers in your command who were commissioned through accession programs. Good Luck.

I don't necessarily think that a warfare qual is a must. At the unit I left, we a had a few newer STA-21s that were picked up out of nuke school. No warfare pins, only other ribbon was a good conduct one (for example), and sometimes no time at sea.

Stubby

Ask the Chief
I don't necessarily think that a warfare qual is a must. At the unit I left, we a had a few newer STA-21s that were picked up out of nuke school. No warfare pins, only other ribbon was a good conduct one (for example), and sometimes no time at sea.

Let me quantify the comment; If you have the opportunity to get the pin, you really should have it. If you are still in school or on certain kinds of shore duty and never had the opportunity to get the pin.... it won't be held against you.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you do not already have a degree (in which case you could apply for OCS directly), you will fall under the STA-21 program.
...unless of course he wants to go to the Naval Academy. ;)

Concur on the warfare pin. The "requirement" isn't really going to apply to folks that are new to the navy applying for STA-21. However, the longer you have been in when you apply, the board is going to expect you to have accomplished more. This includes getting a warfare pin.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
I think I need to clarify a few things:
Nuke students and staff pick up instructors get picked up for the nuclear option of STA 21 (makes sense, nuke students and instructors are the only ones eligible for the nuclear option).
There are various other rate restrictions for other target options. Check the website.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
I think I need to clarify a few things:
Nuke students and staff pick up instructors get picked up for the nuclear option of STA 21 (makes sense, nuke students and instructors are the only ones eligible for the nuclear option).
There are various other rate restrictions for other target options. Check the website.

More clarification. To be picked up for the Nuke option you must be in the pipeline, or have the apropriate NEC. However, nukes are eligible for the other options that are not NEC specific. IE swo, nurse, pilot, and others.

Edit: I noticed that your profile says that you are in school. If this is correct why are you looking at the STA-21 program? This program should be the furthest from your mind. I would not recommend anyone enlist with the thought of getting a commission from STA-21. NROTC and BDCP should be the types of programs that you are looking at. Or, if you are near completion of a degree OCS.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Let me quantify the comment; If you have the opportunity to get the pin, you really should have it. If you are still in school or on certain kinds of shore duty and never had the opportunity to get the pin.... it won't be held against you.

Concur,
To add to that, at least half of the OC's in class 0604 had 2 warfare pins.

El Phantasmo

thanks alot this info will help great, obviously a rate thats somewhat like the officer job im shootin for helps to right, like being a AW and shootin for bein a pilot?

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
thanks alot this info will help great, obviously a rate thats somewhat like the officer job im shootin for helps to right, like being a AW and shootin for bein a pilot?

Not really. Being in an aviation rating will get you closer to pilots who can write a recommendation, but the only time the actual rating you have helps is when it is required to have a particular rating to apply to a particular target option. Core, Pilot, NFO, SWO, CEC, Supply and Nurse target options have no rating restrictions. Everyone from a Boatswain's Mate to a Cryptologic Technician can apply to those. Whatever job you have, you must do said job especially well. A lightspeed BM will get picked up before a mediocre AW.

Besides, if you're not even in the Navy yet, STA21 shouldn't be the option you're pursuing. As a civillian, so many other options for a commission exist (see previous posts by FMRAM and FC2SpyGuy).

Stubby

Ask the Chief
This is a good discussion, thanks all for participating.

El Phantasmo, STA-21 is an excellent program, and there is nothing wrong with enlisting and then pursuing a commission. But before putting all your eggs in one basket, realize that there other good programs out there that lead to a commission.

The Naval Academy: Competition is very tough and rightly so. You need the grades, extra ciricular activities... the whole package. Basically, you're applying for a full scholarship.

College ROTC/OCS: Again, this means more school.

STA-21: Enlisted Commissioning, as we have discussed.

Don't think that STA-21 is necessarily a "shortcut" to a commission. Some apply for the program three, four and five times.... (that's three four and five years). The best way to a commission is to probably to hold a Bachelors degree. You can get that while in the service with GI Bill or tuition assistance, but unless you devote your off duty time to it, it will take longer this way, and thus longer until you reach your goal of a commission.

Feel free to keep asking questions here, but if you haven't even joined the Navy yet, I would go and speak with an Officer recruiter and ask about different routes to a commission, as anything you hear about here would be a generalization. You could also speak with an enlisted recruiter... but remember thier job is to get you to enlist.

Good luck!

El Phantasmo

i understand about about the whole enlisted recruiter thing i was once enlisted myself. But im actually lookin to go back and get a bachelors while im in so as i apply for STA-21 if i dont get in over my probably many attempts when im done with school i can just apply for OCS, kind like a backup option but building a enlisted record is important to me i feel like that among other things will set me apart from the competition. One more question isnt it knida hard to get a degree if your in special ops it just kinda seems like i would be way to busy? i was a sub guy so anything that has to do with the surface im clueless

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
i understand about about the whole enlisted recruiter thing i was once enlisted myself. But im actually lookin to go back and get a bachelors while im in so as i apply for STA-21 if i dont get in over my probably many attempts when im done with school i can just apply for OCS, kind like a backup option but building a enlisted record is important to me i feel like that among other things will set me apart from the competition. One more question isnt it knida hard to get a degree if your in special ops it just kinda seems like i would be way to busy? i was a sub guy so anything that has to do with the surface im clueless

Dont tell me your one of those guys. "Yea I'm going to be a SEAL, a NUKE, and a PILOT. :sleep_125