• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
1. Someone has to ask...does your student's dad know you're posting videos of her on the interwebs?

2. While the temperature in San Diego is awesome, nothing beats the greenery of the things East of the Mississippi. Every time I see media from @Griz882 and @ChuckMK23, I get a little homesick.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Flew out to Port Clinton OH to pick up a broke (and repaired) airplane. KPCW to I68... Solo on way home.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor

ChuckMK23

pilot
Well another of my prodigies is tormenting the skies solo! (graphic publicly posted on social media). She did a great job in 5-7 kt cross winds @ I68, RWY 19. Completed her solo with 17.8 hours of flight time. Sharp young lady - I suspect she will be on your flight deck before some of you retire.

For those of you wondering "what does it take to solo?" in the Civ/Part 91 world, 61.87 lays out the training and maneuvers that must be mastered prior to solo:

(1) Proper flight preparation procedures, including preflight planning and preparation, powerplant operation, and aircraft systems;
(2) Taxiing or surface operations, including runups;
(3) Takeoffs and landings, including normal and crosswind;
(4) Straight and level flight, and turns in both directions;
(5) Climbs and climbing turns;
(6) Airport traffic patterns, including entry and departure procedures;
(7) Collision avoidance, windshear avoidance, and wake turbulence avoidance;
(8) Descents, with and without turns, using high and low drag configurations;
(9) Flight at various airspeeds from cruise to slow flight;
(10) Stall entries from various flight attitudes and power combinations with recovery initiated at the first indication of a stall, and recovery from a full stall;
(11) Emergency procedures and equipment malfunctions;
(12) Ground reference maneuvers;
(13) Approaches to a landing area with simulated engine malfunctions;
(14) Slips to a landing; and
(15) Go-arounds.

I actually track the progress of each pre-solo student in a spreadsheet - using some old Training Command methodology:

Last edited:

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
That's really great, Chuck! It's a little different feeling than successfully getting onwings through their first solo in the HTs when they had already soloed in primary.

Some of that magic is gone from primary these days as the students have all previously soloed in IFS, so it's extremely rare that any of them have their first true solo in primary. Only one of my primary onwings was the old way, an international student whose government simply didn't pay for IFS as part of the foreign military sales. The first airplane he soloed was the T-6, a couple days after I signed him off to take his checkride. I'm really proud of him!

It's a pretty amazing thing when you can put your finger on it and say that you trained that person- and kept them alive while they learned, which is implied...

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Got in a nice flight over the eastern shore. Here is a pic of the bridge near KCGE while a nice sailing race was going on.

On an interesting side note, an F-16 (I assume out of the ANG squadron at Andrews) came tearing down the bay at about 1500 feet. I was dropping into the pattern at KCGE (at 1500) and he was using it as a turn point. I was convinced he couldn’t see me and dumped everything to get down fast. He probably did have me in sight because he popped up and turned east in a snap making me look like I standing in the parking lot, not flying! A beautiful morning for flying.

ChuckMK23

pilot
Got in a nice flight over the eastern shore. Here is a pic of the bridge near KCGE while a nice sailing race was going on.

View attachment 23048

On an interesting side note, an F-16 (I assume out of the ANG squadron at Andrews) came tearing down the bay at about 1500 feet. I was dropping into the pattern at KCGE (at 1500) and he was using it as a turn point. I was convinced he couldn’t see me and dumped everything to get down fast. He probably did have me in sight because he popped up and turned east in a snap making me look like I standing in the parking lot, not flying! A beautiful morning for flying.
Could you see the F-16 on ADS-B IN traffic? I wonder if the F-16 can consume ADS-B and saw you ?

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Could you see the F-16 on ADS-B IN traffic? I wonder if the F-16 can consume ADS-B and saw you ?
No, he didn’t come up at all. It was a pure visual encounter. While I was on the CTAF freq he was probably on the “kill the bad guys” net.