• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My chapter of the Army Aviation Heritage Foundation just finished our second Huey restoration ( display only ). This combat veteran 23081UH-1M gunship made its debut today promoting the touring production of Miss Saigon. Lead actors appearing for the media.

brownshoe

Contributor
By contrast I assume you mean the Navy facilities are standard - decrepit, barely habitable, and AF facilities are pristine, comfortable, attractive, well maintained, and star-spangled awesome?

Back in my day (late 60's) all us "Airdales" loved going to Yuma. It was a ex AF base and all the buildings were air conditioned.:)

Last edited:

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
FINALLY! Temps and my sked have cooperated. Got out to fly this morning for first time in couple months.

No GPS. No Ipad, No VOR. No ADF. No generator. No worries. Last of the Monsoon storms went through last couple days. Beautiful morning. Flew low through the mountains. Intended to make several landings to get back in the saddle, but had noticed the battery tender had quit when I opened the hangar. Sure nuf, battery started to die. No problem landing at home plate as it is uncontrolled, but the swarm of IFR training aircraft were showing up to fly our ILS and GPS approach. Didn't think mixing with them nordo was a good idea. So, just one landing today. One of the very best I have made since I got back into the Luscombe a few months ago.

Attachments

• 20190927_084949.jpg
    20190927_084949.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 1

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Somewhere at the navel safety center, heads are exploding about the very notion of hand-propping.
It would never have been a realistic possibility on the T-28. But I bet there was a NATOPS prohibition on hand propping the T-34B. It would have been tempting if stuck on a cross country.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
FINALLY! Temps and my sked have cooperated. Got out to fly this morning for first time in couple months.
View attachment 23107

View attachment 23109

No GPS. No Ipad, No VOR. No ADF. No generator. No worries. Last of the Monsoon storms went through last couple days. Beautiful morning. Flew low through the mountains. Intended to make several landings to get back in the saddle, but had noticed the battery tender had quit when I opened the hangar. Sure nuf, battery started to die. No problem landing at home plate as it is uncontrolled, but the swarm of IFR training aircraft were showing up to fly our ILS and GPS approach. Didn't think mixing with them nordo was a good idea. So, just one landing today. One of the very best I have made since I got back into the Luscombe a few months ago.
Nice ship @wink! Is that your belt keeping it tied to the fence? Wonder what NATOPS might think of that?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No. But don't joke. Too short for the fence. But I have considered it if I had a tie down anchor (pad eye) without a chain (and I forgot the pictured tie down strap back on the fence). Belt would work with the tail wheel was placed right over the tie down. Given I fly solo so often, and there are no brakes in the right seat, I have thought about a few scenarios. I always fly with one chock and the strap, although I have left the strap behind a couple times.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Got to fly the AH-1F Cobra in the copilot/gunner's seat from PSP to FFZ last Sunday. Thought flying with the side stick cyclic would be good practice for my transition to the Airbus. Yikes! It was painful. Not noticeable in the back seat and for some reason it is so on every Army Cobra, the front seat cyclic is loaded down and left. Also not ergometricly designed. To hold the aircraft level and on course had my hand burning in 15 minutes. The gas stop in Blyth was welcome. After Blyth the PIC tells me he will turn on the "force trim system". That helped a lot, but after an hour it was staring to get aggravating again. The collective is on the canopy rail and basicly slides back and forth like a thrust/power lever. Maybe you can't change a tigers stripes, but with that front seat view, big optical sight between my legs, and weapons system controls far better situated than flight controls, my NFO instincts were revived. 23163

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
It would never have been a realistic possibility on the T-28. But I bet there was a NATOPS prohibition on hand propping the T-34B. It would have been tempting if stuck on a cross country.
I do remember back into the 80's a navair warning going out not to hand-prop hot recip engines after an unfortunate incident.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Got to fly the AH-1F Cobra in the copilot/gunner's seat from PSP to FFZ last Sunday. Thought flying with the side stick cyclic would be good practice for my transition to the Airbus. Yikes! It was painful. Not noticeable in the back seat and for some reason it is so on every Army Cobra, the front seat cyclic is loaded down and left. Also not ergometricly designed. To hold the aircraft level and on course had my hand burning in 15 minutes. The gas stop in Blyth was welcome. After Blyth the PIC tells me he will turn on the "force trim system". That helped a lot, but after an hour it was staring to get aggravating again. The collective is on the canopy rail and basicly slides back and forth like a thrust/power lever. Maybe you can't change a tigers stripes, but with that front seat view, big optical sight between my legs, and weapons system controls far better situated than flight controls, my NFO instincts were revived. View attachment 23163
Winner of the Cool Guy of the Random Aviation Postings!

Very nice.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Winner of the Cool Guy of the Random Aviation Postings!

Very nice.
Last week was cringing as I saw a guy getting ready to hand prop his V tail Bonanza. Thankfully I had the presence of mind to rustle up a small ground power unit and a 100-ft extension cord from the airfield maintenance dude. Saved the day. Bonanza guy had left his master switch on all night. His intention was to set parking brake and handprop solo.