• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
...I work with a guy who flew Kiwi H-2s (I think he was a squadronmate of @Jim123 or was just before his time). He said they were a blast to fly.
I hear you...when I was an NFG at my fleet squadron [HSL-45] in the late 1980s, many of the LTs and LCDRs [as well as the XO and Skipper] had transitioned from the SH-2 to the SH-60B and they all said the same thing...it was a blast to fly. Also, my OR for AOCS was an SH-2 driver...he said it was blast to fly as well.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Some flying pics to balance @ChuckMK23 images....

Just after takeoff from KOFP, that’s Kings’s Dominion!

While she was in for her annual, I pulled a bunch of old stuff and added two G5’s. They are for Experimental/LSA so the punch to the cash box wasn’t as bad. They are fantastic!

Here is a shot of the landing field at Fort A.P. The ranges there get lots of use.

And lastly, a nice shot of the Navy facility at Indian Head...

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
@Griz882 Dual G5's - brilliant!!! What are you using on the iPad? Doesn't look like FF...

You have an AHRS better than most fleet aircraft!

Last edited:

Pags

N/A
pilot
Some flying pics to balance @ChuckMK23 images....

Just after takeoff from KOFP, that’s Kings’s Dominion!
View attachment 21191

While she was in for her annual, I pulled a bunch of old stuff and added two G5’s. They are for Experimental/LSA so the punch to the cash box wasn’t as bad. They are fantastic!

View attachment 21192

Here is a shot of the landing field at Fort A.P. The ranges there get lots of use.

View attachment 21193

And lastly, a nice shot of the Navy facility at Indian Head...

View attachment 21194
I can see my house from here!
(Not really, but you're close)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I won't be able to afford anything extra after my Luscombe annual. Fuel leak in the right wing tank has required wing removal and drilling out rivets on the bottom of the wing. Haven't heard yet if I need a new tank. If so, don't know where to get one or how much. The landing gear oleo was found empty of fluid and corroded. Found a used one for $300 but the IA hasn't gotten back to me about whether it is serviceable. Ah, the "fun" part of owning a 70 year old aircraft with ever decreasing numbers in the GA population.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
I won't be able to afford anything extra after my Luscombe annual. Fuel leak in the right wing tank has required wing removal and drilling out rivets on the bottom of the wing. Haven't heard yet if I need a new tank. If so, don't know where to get one or how much. The landing gear oleo was found empty of fluid and corroded. Found a used one for $300 but the IA hasn't gotten back to me about whether it is serviceable. Ah, the "fun" part of owning a 70 year old aircraft with ever decreasing numbers in the GA population.
Ouch...that is a lot of (expensive) work. Any idea how long it will take? I hope the old fuel tank is sound.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You have an AHRS better than most fleet aircraft!

<sigh> Chuck, seriously...come on man. It's comments like these...

That said, I was perusing the interwebs for glass offerings, should...hypothetically...a steam gauge aircraft come into my possession. Man, those G5s are pricey for non-experimental, but it seems like they're "the" answer if you want to interface with a set of NAVCOMs that are useful. It's only money, right?

Griz882

pilot
Contributor

That said, I was perusing the interwebs for glass offerings, should...hypothetically...a steam gauge aircraft come into my possession. Man, those G5s are pricey for non-experimental, but it seems like they're "the" answer if you want to interface with a set of NAVCOMs that are useful. It's only money, right?
The more capable Garmin units are really expensive and require a full panel rebuild. Barring that, your choices are the G5 or the Aspen. Two G5’s use up about as much as an Aspen but the Aspen units have a lot of capability...to match the price tag.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Tell me more.
When you buy your own fuel, pay for your own maintenance, and similar costs the typical flight to an airport diner (and there are many good ones) nets one a delightful hamburger...that averages about $100 when it is all rolled in.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
When you buy your own fuel, pay for your own maintenance, and similar costs the typical flight to an airport diner (and there are many good ones) nets one a delightful hamburger...that averages about $100 when it is all rolled in.
That is the most disappointing hamburger-related reply I’ve received all day.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot

Slightly tongue in cheek - granted not a ring laser gyro system you guys have in the Romeo and Sierra....but I would wager these Garmin units have a MTBF that is close to the same redundant system you guys have.

That said for short money, you can equip your GA aircraft with serious levels of IFR safety. Dry vacuum pumps in GA aircraft are something to be concerned about. They fail and when it happens in IMC its with disastrous consequences.

I'm slowly getting these as a primary attitude source in every one of my club aircraft. Pricing is really not bad. It does make me angry that the $1K difference between a TSO unit and a unit I can put in an Experimental aircraft is strictly paperwork related.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
That is the most disappointing hamburger-related reply I’ve received all day.
Not at all! Nothing tastes so good as a hamburger you decided to fly too in your own airplane. Some weekends I literally poke the map, look for nearest airport with a diner, and off I go. I spend most of my time below 2000 so the views are great and if the weather is nice I can slow to around 90 knots and slide the canopy back.