• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
@Griz882 Dual G5's - brilliant!!! What are you using on the iPad? Doesn't look like FF...

You have an AHRS better than most fleet aircraft!
@ChuckMK23 I am flying with WingX. To meet the DC SFRA rules I need to be rather up-graded with reference to ADSB (for a light sport) so I use an iLevil unit linked to a Trigg Mode S transponder so that I have both in and out capability. The iLevil works best with WingX.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sold my Cessna 170B today. Very bitter sweet. No... down right sad. Owned her for 19 years. My three boys grew up in her. The wrenching one of my boys did on it over the years became a point of discussion in a job interview and helped get him his first engineering job out of college in aviation. Took one son flying with his girl friend so she could see a invitation to prom spelled out on the ground. Flew Mrs Wink out over sites featured in her cases. Dropped cold beer under a home made parachute to a buddy hiking up a mountain. Dozens of Boy Scouts and Young Eagles got their first flight in that plane. Took me out on searches when I didn't get to fly on them in the Sheriff's Office helo. Flew me to hunts. Never a problem Never scared me, even when I got it every which way on a landing. Looked bad. Embarrassed me. But it was never more than I could handle. One of the finest tail wheel airplanes out there. Good viz over the nose. Honest landing. Decent performance, Super smooth 6 cylinder engine. :(

I am left with a Luscombe 8A. It is way fun to fly. More challenging to land. Less expensive. Can fly it LSA. The impertinent thing will scare me sooner or later. And it doesn't have the memories.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
200.gif

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
View attachment 21298
Sold my Cessna 170B today. Very bitter sweet. No... down right sad. Owned her for 19 years. My three boys grew up in her. The wrenching one of my boys did on it over the years became a point of discussion in a job interview and helped get him his first engineering job out of college in aviation. Took one son flying with his girl friend so she could see a invitation to prom spelled out on the ground. Flew Mrs Wink out over sites featured in her cases. Dropped cold beer under a home made parachute to a buddy hiking up a mountain. Dozens of Boy Scouts and Young Eagles got their first flight in that plane. Took me out on searches when I didn't get to fly on them in the Sheriff's Office helo. Flew me to hunts. Never a problem Never scared me, even when I got it every which way on a landing. Looked bad. Embarrassed me. But it was never more than I could handle. One of the finest tail wheel airplanes out there. Good viz over the nose. Honest landing. Decent performance, Super smooth 6 cylinder engine. :(

I am left with a Luscombe 8A. It is way fun to fly. More challenging to land. Less expensive. Can fly it LSA. The impertinent thing will scare me sooner or later. And it doesn't have the memories.
Very nice airplane, great story. You always hate to see them leave the field for the last time. I've flown a friend's Cessna O-1 and it was a great tail-dragger but the closest I've come to flying a 170.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Gents, great GA discussion. As I've been flying more on the weekends of GA aircraft I've become more and more interested - besides AOPA, what resources do you recommend reading about getting more involved in GA and what should I read before owning/fractionally owning a plane?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Gents, great GA discussion. As I've been flying more on the weekends of GA aircraft I've become more and more interested - besides AOPA, what resources do you recommend reading about getting more involved in GA and what should I read before owning/fractionally owning a plane?
Experimental Aircraft Assoc. Not just about amateur built planes. Good info on maintenance and classic aircraft, such as the Cessna 170 ??. Pilot magazine is good. Runs the gamut from turbines to used SEL. Good columns by knowledgable people. Plane and Pilot I like because it is more grass roots and budget conscience. Also look into your state pilots association.

VMO4

Glad to see the talk on experimental, it is definitely where its at, this is the current status of my RV-6, hope to have engine start soon, and in the air this fall.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Very nice airplane, great story. You always hate to see them leave the field for the last time. I've flown a friend's Cessna O-1 and it was a great tail-dragger but the closest I've come to flying a 170.
The Cessna 170B is even sweeter flying then the O-1, though less power. When I get my medical sorted out I am going to see about flying the O-1 the Army Aviation Heritage Foundation has. Being helo centric, they basicly have one guy flying it now. And he is old. Well older then me. I may be able to break into that. It flies several air shows in the SE accompanying the Hueys and Cobras.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
The Cessna 170B is even sweeter flying then the O-1, though less power. When I get my medical sorted out I am going to see about flying the O-1 the Army Aviation Heritage Foundation has. Being helo centric, they basicly have one guy flying it now. And he is old. Well older then me. I may be able to break into that. It flies several air shows in the SE accompanying the Hueys and Cobras.
Get that medical sorted out, go on Basic Med, and never look back!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Get that medical sorted out, go on Basic Med, and never look back!
Only problem with Basic Med for now is it means the end of my career. Got about 3 years to make the big bucks and that required a first class. After that, LSA or Basic Med will do thank you very much.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Only problem with Basic Med for now is it means the end of my career. Got about 3 years to make the big bucks and that required a first class. After that, LSA or Basic Med will do thank you very much.
Got it. Go for the big bucks!

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
It looks like @ChuckMK23 a d his Boeing people have snapped up Foreflight.

Don’t mess it up!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
I thought Chuck worked for GE.
You are correct ... BUT ... @ChuckMK23 is ‘supposed to be’ working [flying MD 500s] for our local Sheriff’s Office ... so that he can get me in the door ... when and if I get my FAA medical back.