• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I definitely need remedial training. ?

I went down the rabbit hole because it was an official USMC PA photo in a gallery celebrating women Marines.....
Both the Marine FB and Twitter feed deleted the pic from the post - cleary a PAO got the hint. My remedial training is complete - I will do better next time :)

Here is the offcial DOD source for the image:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It's the Helmet Display & Tracking System (HDTS) from Elbit systems.

I was trying to keep it simple.

I like how the picture includes a few hardware faults and a giant Hydroflask hanging on the pedal adjustment handle.

Wait, that water bottle hook has another function? I'd also like to point out that if you didn't have a constant BLANKER FAULT, how would you know if the radar, ESM and RADALT are all working?

ChuckMK23

pilot
Did some training with a fellow flying club member and friend who has been med down the last 2 years - and finally got his First Class back - he's in the queu to go back to work flying the 787 - but for now, he was loving being back in the air after not touching the controls for 2 years. We got his ASEL class currency back and an IPC - so he can have fun in GA as he awaits training for work. Good times. On final for 19 at I68.

1688264991492.png

ChuckMK23

pilot
A-10 stuck on hard-stand here at Alpena (I'm here this week soaking up the rural Michigan Air and sun!). This jet diverted here for a maint issue the day before hundreds of contractors and machinery descended to tear up and replace runways. It still remains!

PXL_20230712_174230565.jpg

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Fascinating debrief of NTSB accident report. CH-47 brought down by an iPad fod'ing flight controls. Tragic and terrifying.

Food for thought.

Comments? @Gatordev , @Griz882 , etc

Interesting stuff. In my helicopter I am crazy weird about lashing things down. I even belt my chart bag to the seat. My iPad can attach to the panel but I don’t like it there because of the need to reach across the controls. I have also flown several hours with it mounted to my leg which is better, but not great. In either case, I have a few inches of paracord tied to it and then to a hook so it can’t fall into a void - like the rudder pedal area - that I can’t reach in flight. I’m currently working on a mounting system that will meet my needs and the unique aspect of the Enstrom.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
When I first started flying in the -135 (probably the first month or two), I took off and at some point noticed that the collective didn't feel smooth. I didn't have enough time in the aircraft to really diagnose it other than it wasn't "optimal." When I landed, I looked down, probably to feel for the friction, and found one of the iPads jammed into the gap between the collective and center console. I'm assuming it was there from the previous pilot.

At the time, we had two full-sized iPads that we normally kept on the co-pilot side in between the center console and the seat. When they are located there in this particular aircraft, they can't physically move anywhere else. Otherwise, one of the iPads might be in the door. I don't know why the other pilot would have put it where he did, as he's usually a pretty conscientious pilot, but I'm glad the situation didn't turn out worse.

We now have one full-sized and one Mini. The full size (our primary) usually is in the same spot between the seat and the Mini lives in the cubby in the center console with our 5,000 checklists and power cables. If we're in a spare, the full-size usually lives in the door.