• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wonder how much longer they'll be kept out there. There's some common parts, but looking at the latest Google Maps satellite images, there doesn't appear to be many of them left. The one in that picture, as a BLOCK .75, probably has 10-12K on it.

It's also interesting to see how much mud has been splashed up on the fuselage, presumably from the monsoons.
Sky in the pic looks like monsoons. Fun, notwithstanding the temps.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
I occasionally take a look at the DM boneyard on Google Maps and always find it amazing. There is still at least one Navy A-3 and a handful of F-4’s and A-4’s but I don’t see any A-6’s. No F-8’s but plenty of Canberra’s and enough S-3’s to enable zombie mode. On the helicopter side I see a load of -3’s but only two possible SH-60Bs. It is an amazing place.

EDIT…I found the A-6’s and many more -60 airframes in the “west” boneyard (among other types).
That's usually a bittersweet peek for me, All the F model KC130's are gone, But it's good to see that the R models are earning their keep with Japan and Chile.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Sky in the pic looks like monsoons. Fun, notwithstanding the temps.
I flew the Griz-O-Copter through the southwest monsoons (but entirely in New Mexico and West Texas). Fun stuff even involving a middle-of-nowhere landing until a storm passed.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
You are at least 50% correct.

View attachment 36789

Well…at least I still have my old Davis ball cap. I gave this ball cap to my dad following deployment…and then when he passed away in 1996, I inherited it. Also, I distinctly remember that when we purchased these from the ship, the embroidered SH-60B was supposedly recently added to make the air det happy [see red arrow]…at least that’s what we were told. I do remember seeing ship’s company wearing Davis ball caps without the helo…

A27A4784-A829-4FFD-B3A9-3ABC70D5E349.jpeg

LATE ENTRY: I guess when they added the helo over 30 years ago, they decided to implement it on the Davis ball caps from that time forward…which would make sense...

8A5D9BE3-73DD-40DE-ACCC-CCD5C6E961CD.jpeg

Last edited:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
EDIT…I found the A-6’s and many more -60 airframes in the “west” boneyard (among other types).

When I looked yesterday, I was surprised how many A-4s were still there, along with the A-6s. But that line of -60Bs (which you can tell from the MAD boom) isn't as big as I was expecting.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
When I looked yesterday, I was surprised how many A-4s were still there, along with the A-6s. But that line of -60Bs (which you can tell from the MAD boom) isn't as big as I was expecting.
Last time I was there (2014), the Bs and Fs were intermingling. IIRC, they were only retired about a year apart.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Last time I was there (2014), the Bs and Fs were intermingling. IIRC, they were only retired about a year apart.

No doubt. I was just referring to being able to VID the B's specifically on Google Maps.

Reactions: IKE

Renegade One

None
Well…at least I still have my old Davis ball cap. I gave this ball cap to my dad following deployment…and then when he passed away in 1996, I inherited it. Also, I distinctly remember that when we purchased these from the ship, the embroidered SH-60B was supposedly recently added to make the air det happy [see red arrow]…at least that’s what we were told. I do remember seeing ship’s company wearing Davis ball caps without the helo…

View attachment 36813

LATE ENTRY: I guess when they added the helo over 30 years ago, they decided to implement it on the Davis ball caps from that time forward…which would make sense...
Dude...tell us about THAT WATCH! Inquiring minds want to know...

Griz882

pilot
Contributor

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Looks like an old Mooney. Reports say the 2 on board are alive.
Yep, a Mooney. N201RF. Looking at flight aware he left White Plains NY and “landed” just north of the actual airfield.