• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I am up at Oshkosh this week, working at the CAP National Flight Academy. 14 day intensive program for 18 lucky 16-19 year olds that takes them from 0 time to solo - all funded by CAP and AF. Cadets eat and sleep and study at a compound near the ramp area. Bunkhouse/squad bay type accommodations - the kitchen equipment all came from the DFAC/mess at former NAS Glenview - hence the tray pic. 8 x 172's here, each student flies 2 x's per day mastering pre solo maneuvers in 61.87. Cadet students come with FAA 3rd Class medical in hand, Student Pilot Certificates are issued here. Volunteer CFI's.

Really impressive group of young people. An army of great adult volunteers doing everything from laundry to cooking, to keeping parents up to speed. The future is in good hands. Watching this happen gives you faith in humans again :)

Oh and in true Air Force cultural fashion, a crew van drives cadets and IP's to flight line all day long.

View attachment 31159

As a former cadet, I am appalled, appalled I tell you! I had to walk to the flight line, in sweltering SoCal heat, BOTH ways! It built character dammit! These young whipper snappers don't know how good they have it. ?

On a more serious note, Chuck you're giving these young men and women some of the best experiences they could have. CAP's National Cadet Special Activities like flight academy, glider academy, Osh Kosh Blue Beret, and the AF fighter pilot familiarization course (If they're still doing it) are some of the hidden, unsung gems of the cadet program.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
As a former cadet, I am appalled, appalled I tell you! I had to walk to the flight line, in sweltering SoCal heat, BOTH ways! It built character dammit! These young whipper snappers don't know how good they have it. ?

On a more serious note, Chuck you're giving these young men and women some of the best experiences they could have. CAP's National Cadet Special Activities like flight academy, glider academy, Osh Kosh Blue Beret, and the AF fighter pilot familiarization course (If they're still doing it) are some of the hidden, unsung gems of the cadet program.
Well that's kind of you to say - I am nothing more than the AF Liaison GS dude - I get to say thanks to the volunteers who do the real work and yeah I got to teach a little ground school to the cadets - but mostly it was doing AIM/FAR/Systems/Aero trivia for and handing out glamorous prizes like our unit challenge coins ;) (that and my due diligence/risk management duties as the "DoD Official" onsite)

But the opportunities available for young people in this program are amazing. Great stuff!

I am coordinating some rides in C-17's and KC-135's for cadets. The AF is very open to letting people in their transport category/cabin aircraft. Quite a few guys in my office have had their wives up on the flight deck on a C-17 or C-130 during a non tactical transport flight.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Back in the day, mid to late 1980s, every summer my squadron would get mids for anywhere between 2 weeks and a month. We always sent them on a long cross country from Moffett Field to Cubi Point, PI so that they could get a real taste for Navy life in Westpac. They usually enjoyed their trips with lots of "Smiles" and such.

We were a very desirable summer cruise destination for midshipmen according to the ROTC LT instructors.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
that particular year sticks out in my mind because they stayed with us for about a week and the CO somehow got the okay for them to spend some time with the maintenance shops.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Picked up out det aircraft after annual (and two new cylinders, unusual for a 600 hour aircraft, but thats another story)

At the maint facility at KMRT, happened across this Stearman:

A couple of hours at 75% power to set the new piston rings, then back to I68 . A trip to the wash rack for a good scrub down - this was my Tuesday

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Picked up out det aircraft after annual (and two new cylinders, unusual for a 600 hour aircraft, but thats another story)

View attachment 31283

A couple of hours at 75% power to set the new piston rings, then back to I68 . A trip to the wash rack for a good scrub down - this was my Tuesday

View attachment 31284
Throw me into that briar patch.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor

View attachment 31283

View attachment 31284

You actually get paid for this?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Departed Bermuda Dunes (KUDD) and despite very high temperatures and a number of small, frustrating “emergencies,” (MRGB Chip light, no burn off so I had to land and clean it…and pax door partially broke off in flight! - another remote desert landing where I used 550 cord to effect a field repair) I made it to Tucson! The F-5 aggressor’s wanted to tangle but I was too tired.