• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
What's funny, aside from watching @Griz882 completely butcher the spelling, is that Fahrvergnügen was not really a word until a bunch of marketing people in Volkswagen came up with it. I mean it basically means "joy (or pleasure) from driving," and it makes grammatical sense, but it's about as much of an actual word as "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" was before Mary Poppins.
We didn’t beat them twice in the great wars of the 20th Century just to learn to spell their meaningless words correctly!

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Tough day yesterday - one of my club aircraft suffered an engine failure resulting in an off field landing in a cornfield 1.5 miles from home field resulting in substantial damage to the aircraft (total loss). The pilot, an experienced CFI colleague and his pilot passenger walked away without a scratch. The engine failure occurred at 3000' MSL in IMC, and the aircraft broke out to visual conditions only at 600' AGL

The engine failure began after departure from a nearby airport where the aircraft was undergoing avionics upgrades and removal of the engine driven vacuum system (dual G5 electronic flight instruments replaced the vacuum powered AI and DC powered HSI). The engine operated normally after takeoff and shortly after cruise, engine oil pressure went to zero followed by caution/warning. Engine made partial power as the crew declared the emergency and attempted to turn towards the airport. Shortly after that the engine lost all power, the pilot set best glide...

You can see the pics below. Aircraft touchdown around 70 KIAS, and impacted two trees, destroying both wings, and emptying the fuel tanks. The cabin held together -and the landing gear was not compromised.

NTSB and FAA are coming tomorrow to do the engine inspection. FAA released the aircraft to me yesterday and local news covered the accident.

Amazing bit of airmanship.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
That's some fine work.

With certain kinds of emergencies, you gotta remember the airplane now belongs to the insurance company.

I guess this makes two people in the flying club who have survived a forced landing from mere hundreds of feet and less than 100 knots.

GroundPounder

Tough day yesterday - one of my club aircraft suffered an engine failure resulting in an off field landing in a cornfield 1.5 miles from home field resulting in substantial damage to the aircraft (total loss). The pilot, an experienced CFI colleague and his pilot passenger walked away without a scratch. The engine failure occurred at 3000' MSL in IMC, and the aircraft broke out to visual conditions only at 600' AGL

The engine failure began after departure from a nearby airport where the aircraft was undergoing avionics upgrades and removal of the engine driven vacuum system (dual G5 electronic flight instruments replaced the vacuum powered AI and DC powered HSI). The engine operated normally after takeoff and shortly after cruise, engine oil pressure went to zero followed by caution/warning. Engine made partial power as the crew declared the emergency and attempted to turn towards the airport. Shortly after that the engine lost all power, the pilot set best glide...

You can see the pics below. Aircraft touchdown around 70 KIAS, and impacted two trees, destroying both wings, and emptying the fuel tanks. The cabin held together -and the landing gear was not compromised.

NTSB and FAA are coming tomorrow to do the engine inspection. FAA released the aircraft to me yesterday and local news covered the accident.

Amazing bit of airmanship.

View attachment 27847

View attachment 27848

View attachment 27849

View attachment 27850

Glad that everyone was able to walk away, but maybe it can be fixed if you get the right guy?

taxi1

pilot
Wow, glad they made it unscathed. We lost two souls when our club plane went down (inadvertent IMC).

Bad things happen in threes, I’m staying on the ground for a bit. Everybody else feel free to cut in line.