• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

HuggyU2

None
Jeff is not a giant of a guy - I assume that cockpit isn't very accommodating of 6 footers!
It's not. It was designed "out of the normal process", back when Americans were smaller. But... we've have had (and still do) some tall pilots that make it work. I don't know how some of the biggest do it... but they pull it off.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It IS initial for @ChuckMK23 as far as the USAF is concerned. When I was a recruiter I had the father of an applicant invite me to go fly in a TA-7 of the ANG. I was like, bitch'in, lets go. Not so fast. Even though I road the same seat in the War Hoover, was still current on my training and had my record to prove it, the AF required full survival, seat training, etc.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
It IS initial for @ChuckMK23 as far as the USAF is concerned. When I was a recruiter I had the father of an applicant invite me to go fly in a TA-7 of the ANG. I was like, bitch'in, lets go. Not so fast. Even though I road the same seat in the War Hoover, was still current on my training and had my record to prove it, the AF required full survival, seat training, etc.
What Wink said! AF regs do not recognize any other service quals. So initial physiology for me, only 2 days. Then its down to Maxwell AFB for flight training. Again even though its ASEL GA airplanes, have ro do it the AF way along with type specific check rides. #perdiem

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
What Wink said! AF regs do not recognize any other service quals. So initial physiology for me, only 2 days. Then its down to Maxwell AFB for flight training. Again even though its ASEL GA airplanes, have ro do it the AF way along with type specific check rides. #perdiem
Will you now fly on the AF medical system or stay with FAA 2nd Class?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Balloon tricks, patty cakes and solitaire?
No, to the AF's credit it was far more sophisticated that what I remember as a young Ensign in Pensacola. There were some cog skills tests at 25,000 feet and unlike what I remember of my Navy pressure chamber ride, they wanted to see you go into full symptoms of hypoxia before you were allowed to "recover". We had a couple of youngsters get fairly unresponsive. It was interesting to watch. Myself, I got super nauseous and dizzy.

Another thing we did was a night hypoxia scenario - lighting was removed from the chamber to the extent of even velcro canvas covers to all viewports and windows. Very dim lighting introduced and color charts were presented as your O2 was removed at 18,000' The loss of visual color and contrast was significant and immediately apparent.

Lastly we did an explosive decompression at 18,000' with emergency mask donning and O2 regulator settings moved to EMERG and positive pressure breathing introduced. This surprised the crap out of me and was interesting. Fun Times.

I did fart like a MF in the chamber - I mean colonic gas city!

I see why you pointy nose types like the MB-20 mask!

I am told AF folks do the chamber every 5 years...

Last edited: