• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Did a little “House Hunting by Air” last evening and saw two nice airfield homes...

This one is nice as it has water access as well.
Another has a very nice runway that is close to 3000’. Nice set up and I like the older house.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Got in an early evening flight today. Cross wind was high and gusty so my landing kept me awake.

On the other hand, I made and aerial “barn find”...an old CH-34 in someone’s garden! Looks like all it needs is a dab of paint, a 1500 hp radial, a blade or four and a classic could be had! I am tempted to drive down there and get a closer look.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Got in an early evening flight today. Cross wind was high and gusty so my landing kept me awake.

On the other hand, I made and aerial “barn find”...an old CH-34 in someone’s garden! Looks like all it needs is a dab of paint, a 1500 hp radial, a blade or four and a classic could be had! I am tempted to drive down there and get a closer look.

View attachment 26848
Sikorsky sold the license for the S-55 (H-19) and S-58 (H-34). It may have been built as recently as the '90s, I think. Still very cool.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Sikorsky sold the license for the S-55 (H-19) and S-58 (H-34). It may have been built as recently as the '90s, I think. Still very cool.
The H-34 is an attractive helicopter and I have always loved the classic lines (although the turbine nose is ugly). I have only seen them in museums or on sticks as gate guards. A flight in one would be very cool.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
On the other hand, I made and aerial “barn find”...an old CH-34 in someone’s garden!
I used to talk my VFR nav students onto a MiG-23 in somebody's front yard. It was an old gate guard at a base, the base was getting rid of some stuff, and the guy apparently got it towed to his place out in the sticks. The funny thing was there are some impressive junk piles of old cars and stuff on the guy's property.

In the brief I'd say something like "intel has something they want us to look at along this road, we'll get a bit more information once we're in the air" hehehe.

Oops, looks like I blurred out the name of the road that google put on there. Guess that's cuz it's classified. :p