• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
USMC Museum at Quantico has a real nice H-34 display.
View attachment 26859
The photo above brings to mind a question based on what I have learned about Huey driving in Vietnam. Most Army slicks were flown by the aircraft commander from the left seat, not the right. The panel is cut off at about the right knee and has just basic instrumentation. Full panel and instrumentation is on the right where the AC would normally fly. The slick bubbas did this so they could look down through the chin bubble unobstructed by the instrument panel when making landings in high grass, rice paddys, and other obstacles, or making a running takeoff when heavy with wounded. The Huey gunships flew with the ac where he belonged because of the installed sight location. Right seat had guns and rockets. Left seat had the sight for the 40 mm grenade launcher. Those H-34s could not see shit when landing. And I am wondering if the H-34 had a port side troop door. There is a USMC H-34 in the local CAF museum close to our UH-1B Gunship. a starboard door is open like shown in the above photo and I don't recall seeing a left door, just a position for a gunner. I can't find a picture of a large troop door open on the left side of a H-34. The H-34 could carry a few more troops/Marines over a Huey, but with just one door it would take much longer to deploy them and limit your immediate formation on the deck.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
The photo above brings to mind a question based on what I have learned about Huey driving in Vietnam. Most Army slicks were flown by the aircraft commander from the left seat, not the right. The panel is cut off at about the right knee and has just basic instrumentation. Full panel and instrumentation is on the right where the AC would normally fly. The slick bubbas did this so they could look down through the chin bubble unobstructed by the instrument panel when making landings in high grass, rice paddys, and other obstacles, or making a running takeoff when heavy with wounded. The Huey gunships flew with the ac where he belonged because of the installed sight location. Right seat had guns and rockets. Left seat had the sight for the 40 mm grenade launcher. Those H-34s could not see shit when landing. And I am wondering if the H-34 had a port side troop door. There is a USMC H-34 in the local CAF museum close to our UH-1B Gunship. a starboard door is open like shown in the above photo and I don't recall seeing a left door, just a position for a gunner. I can't find a picture of a large troop door open on the left side of a H-34. The H-34 could carry a few more troops/Marines over a Huey, but with just one door it would take much longer to deploy them and limit your immediate formation on the deck.
View attachment 26870
The CH-34 did not come with a left side door in any model I have seen. I did read somewhere that the helicopter was landed with the port side facing any known enemy fire in a hot LZ. Keep in mind that the Marines considered the -34 a stopgap aircraft between older Korean War helicopters (CH-19) and what would become the CH-46. Still, it did serve in VN until 1970 as did the funky old Hiller OH-23 as a scout ship even though we tend to think only of the Johnny-Come-Lately OH-6’s.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Army joke I have heard directed at Loach pilots: If you want to know where the enemy is, look for the smoking OH-6 wreck.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Army joke I have heard directed at Loach pilots: If you want to know where the enemy is, look for the smoking OH-6 wreck.
Heard a similar one from the GWOT generation about calling in a nine-line: "target is marked by a flaming Kiowa."

Edit: Simo run, simo run . . .

Pags

N/A
pilot
View attachment 26870
Echo what @Griz882 said; H-34 was older in design than the H-1 (piston vs turbine motor).

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
The KW guys had one of the toughest jobs in Iraq. Their recon routes were known, their flying hard, and their in-contact actions demanding. I did a few strap-hanging/Hollywood flights in Iraq with the 3D Cavalry birds. Those were some good dudes flying the Kiowa!

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
The KW guys had one of the toughest jobs in Iraq. Their recon routes were known, their flying hard, and their in-contact actions demanding. I did a few strap-hanging/Hollywood flights in Iraq with the 3D Cavalry birds. Those were some good dudes flying the Kiowa!

...and the Army shit canned their entire community. Hundreds of dudes either out on the street, offered retirement, and the lucky few/willing converted into other platforms. I have met more than my fair share of former -58 drivers flying EMS now that have a bitter taste in their mouths. Huge waste of talent and experience.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
...and the Army shit canned their entire community. Hundreds of dudes either out on the street, offered retirement, and the lucky few/willing converted into other platforms. I have met more than my fair share of former -58 drivers flying EMS now that have a bitter taste in their mouths. Huge waste of talent and experience.
No doubt. That entire episode left a lot of bad feeling across army aviation.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Echo what @Griz882 said; H-34 was older in design than the H-1 (piston vs turbine motor).
Ah...I am aware. Kinda my thing now. Question was about the door. How does recip vs turbine bear on that? It now occurs to me that the H-34, like the H-3 was designed for ASW. I am sure that is why, like the H-3, it only had a right side door. Even the Westland license built Commando (Utility/troop H-3) wasn't modified with a second troop door. The Huey was purpose built for utility/transport, so a second door made sense.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Ah...I am aware. Kinda my thing now. Question was about the door. How does recip vs turbine bear on that? It now occurs to me that the H-34, like the H-3 was designed for ASW. I am sure that is why, like the H-3, it only had a right side door. Even the Westland license built Commando (Utility/troop H-3) wasn't modified with a second troop door. The Huey was purpose built for utility/transport, so a second door made sense.
My point was that the H-34 was older, as evidenced by the revolutionary change in powerplants, and that perhaps other changes in doctrine, tactics, threat, etc had resulted in changes in requirements. Since the H-1 replaced the H-34 in both the Army and USMC perhaps experience with a single door troop transport led the users to want a door on either side (like the minivan).

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
. . . perhaps experience with a single door troop transport led the users to want a door on either side (like the minivan).
Squad leader: "I'm not touching you. I'm not touching you. I'm not touching you."

Door gunner: "SIIIIIRRRRRRR!"

HAC: "I swear, if you make me come back there . . . "