• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I thought Chuck worked for GE.
I do.

I saw the Foreflight acquisition potential a while ago and figured Boeing would be the logical buyer at some point - expecially now since Foreflight & DoD has expanded the Military EFB contract across all services.

I share @Griz882 concern about Boeing fucking up Foreflight. Jeppesen Flight Deck is a big bowl of over regulated complexity - neither Boeing nor Jepp understand "Minimally Viable Product" culture as a path to innovation and user experience excellence. Boeing is a "requirements, requirements, requirements" culture. We'll see!

ChuckMK23

pilot
@wink I don't know if you are aligned to these guys but they did a nice display at Heli-Expo with a Huey, Cobra, and a LOACH.

ChuckMK23

pilot
No G-5 in this one?
Why didn't you take the pranged ship? :eek:
ha!

Actually I had just had a top overhaul done on this aircraft (new cylinders) and I needed to put some hours on to break it in properly - that means flying at 70-75% power, staying under 6000 feet DA, and running straight mineral oil in the engine - for the first 25 hours. Round trip to Atlanta and back was only 5.5 hours on the tach. ?

No G-5 on this aircraft - in fact I carry a Stratus unit to plop on the glare shield, paired with iPad/Foreflight for ADS-B IN. Works fine. Old school vacuum AI - and electric KCS-55 HSI like we have in the TH-57 ....

I'll probably just go to an Aspen solution - for under $5K and pull the vacuum system and put the King HSI in one of our older 172's

Last edited:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Chuck, a questions for you...

If a fuel flow gauge is INOP, but it shows fuel flow, are you really burning any fuel? I like to think about this question while contemplating what a one-handed clap sounds like.

Nice stack, by the way. That's my work setup, minus whatever that RNAV-looking like thing is.

ChuckMK23

pilot
Chuck, a couple of questions for you...

I noticed that you have a fuel split. Does the Skylane have a fuel valve? Wouldn't think so with a high wing. Or was there just a split at take off?

Also, if a fuel flow gauge is INOP, but it shows fuel flow, are you really burning any fuel? I like to think about this question while contemplating what a one-handed clap sounds like.
Fair questions :)

Was in quite a bit of turbulence - especially laterally - and those Shadin fuel sensors jump around a lot - they actually even out when the plane is still.
If I had showed you a 5 minute video clip vs a pic you would see that... that said with one person in left seat the plane does have a tendency to develop an imbalance - and on this trip I had selected the RIGHT tank a few times vs BOTH. Yes it has a selector - Cessnas have a LEFT - BOTH - RIGHT. Pipers generally have just a LEFT or RIGHT setting. (quite a few Piper mishaps from pilots forgetting to switch tanks - to fuel exhaustion)

The analog fuel flow gauge is disconnected and that sensor is instead wired to the JPI- which is a far more accurate sensor and display - in this case I was leaned for 12.4 GPH.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Was in quite a bit of turbulence - especially laterally - and those Shadin fuel sensors jump around a lot - they actually even out when the plane is still.
If I had showed you a 5 minute video clip vs a pic you would see that... that said with one person in left seat the plane does have a tendency to develop an imbalance - and on this trip I had selected the RIGHT tank a few times vs BOTH. Yes it has a selector - Cessnas have a LEFT - BOTH - RIGHT. Pipers generally have just a LEFT or RIGHT stetting.

Looks like you replied before I edited my post. Realized I was being an idiot when I asked about that. It's been a LONG time since I was in a Cessna, and couldn't remember if there was a valve, until I realized there has to be a valve and Google educated me. Totally get the jumping around bit. Thanks.

I figured the JPI (or flat panel) was giving you good FF info.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'll probably just go to an Aspen solution - for under $5K and pull the vacuum system and put the King HSI in one of our older 172's

Okay, another question... How does Aspen deal with the requirement for a dual power supply? Or is there a requirement? Does it run on its own battery as a secondary (kind of like the Dynon)? I'm actually seriously looking at upgrade paths now for budgeting.

ChuckMK23

pilot
Nice stack, by the way. That's my work setup, minus whatever that RNAV-looking like thing is.

That's a Garmin GMX-200 - a little dated but in 2007 ish it was state of the art in GA. Has its own SD card based database and has ability to display geo referenced charts + approach plates. Now just used as a bigger display for the Garmin GNS 430 displaying airspace, waypoints, airports and ground based wx. Really ok for SA but thats about it. The iPad and FF have made it largely obsolete.

Last edited:

ChuckMK23

pilot
Okay, another question... How does Aspen deal with the requirement for a dual power supply? Or is there a requirement? Does it run on its own battery as a secondary (kind of like the Dynon)? I'm actually seriously looking at upgrade paths now for budgeting.
Alternator, internal battery in the Aspen and aircraft's lead-acid battery (Garmin G5 does same approach) - so lots of redundancy. For IFR, a single alternator and an aircraft battery are sufficient for Part 91 ops...

Dry vacuum pumps and the associated mechanical gyros are far less reliable and fail regularly.

Last edited: