• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

Pags

N/A
pilot
Was that the guy at 26 that got violated on his first HAC flight? Wasn't that the same dude that popped for weed and claimed his wife/girlfriend gave it to him via vaginal transfer?
Different guy.

I think I had just left 26 when that happened but i don't think he got a flight violation. Way I recall it was that ATC turned him around, Skipper got mad and said he was going to pull his HAC letter but was intending to give it back to him after the weekend. Our hero is so distraught that he goes home and smokes some pot. He comes back to work on Monday and Skipper says, "here's your letter back." Turns out Skipper can give you your letter back but you can't unsmoke pot. I had not heard the nonsense about vaginal transfer from a lady friend. Perhaps @squorch2 can sanity check my story.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Perhaps @squorch2 can sanity check my story.

So what you gotta understand is 60S avionics at the time only allowed for manual waypoint entry - no DAFIF, no integrity check, no way other than pure attention to detail to ensure the point you entered is correct.

Or, say, 10 miles inside the outer SFRA gate.

This guy decides he wants to fly to DC for his first HAC flight, briefs it with the skipper, flies it with an O-4 copilot - but fat fingers the gate lat/long and isn't backing himself up with a chart...

Indeed he was spared a violation, as the weed "fixed the glitch," so to speak.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
So what you gotta understand is 60S avionics at the time only allowed for manual waypoint entry - no DAFIF, no integrity check, no way other than pure attention to detail to ensure the point you entered is correct.

This guy decides he wants to fly to DC for his first HAC flight, briefs it with the skipper, flies it with an O-4 copilot - but fat fingers the gate lat/long and isn't backing himself up with a chart...

The DC SFRA can be a hoot for the uninitiated but the Feds can be forgiving if you are cooperative. The first trick I learned was to identify landmarks for the left and right limits of each of the gates and stick with those. As I was flying in one day I watched one guy blow by the gate without clearance, listened to Potomac do their best to reach him, and then watched the USCG MH-65 come and scare him away. In his case I doubt the violation was “spared.”

Pags

N/A
pilot
So what you gotta understand is 60S avionics at the time only allowed for manual waypoint entry - no DAFIF, no integrity check, no way other than pure attentio awwn to detail to ensure the point you entered is correct.

If I recall the story as I heard it, the O4 may have been less than helpful during the flight.

As a guy who had a similar hiccup (huh, so that's what fentress looks like?) early in my HAC experience I can empathize with his experience. Up to the decision to smoke pot. If he had just gotten really drunk and raged at life and the Skipper while in his cups things would've been different come Monday morning.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
If he had just gotten really drunk [at home] and raged at life and the Skipper person while in his cups
I have never raged about a Skipper, but I can confirm that this is a highly effective maneuver. Good music and staring into a firepit also help.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
If I recall the story as I heard it, the O4 may have been less than helpful during the flight.
Quite right - no one was backing up anyone in that aircraft.

Something something culture of complacency....

jmcquate

Contributor
I'm noticing an increase in helos flying over my house (North Arlington). Coast Guard, Army 60s, White Tops, Air Force VIP Hueys.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I'm noticing an increase in helos flying over my house (North Arlington). Coast Guard, Army 60s, White Tops, Air Force VIP Hueys.
There’s a reason for that...don’t worry until you start seeing the black ones.?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I would be a little worried if the Coastie ones look like this...

wwybgxv2cmmbolnnocif.jpg