• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I flew the MD80 for 20 years. With the landing light deployed you had less clearance than the Max. Side slip was in the manual and we all flew that way. Flew the 737 same way until the 800 was on the property. Boeing said crab MAX, so the company standardized that across the fleet. I was told that the real concern was that a scraped scimitar, or whatever it is called, would ground a plane for weeks and cost big bucks. It is composite and the only repair procedure was Boeing's. Requires a lot more then RR a landing light or drilling out a few rivets. I still think it is ridiculous.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
The planes are designed to touch down in a crab. If you do an auto land in a crosswind, it will touch down in a crab.

As a Captain, my scariest moments have been when an FO landing in a strong crosswind tried to transition from a crab to a slip and ends up well off centerline as the are blown sideways. It can be done with proper technique and for years that’s what we trained to do and did. But with the manufacturers saying “land in a crab” it’s quickly becoming a lost art.

With the Airbus fly by wire and it transitioning between control laws as you flare and touch down, it becomes even tricker to maintain centerline. Again, it can be done with training and practice, but it’s much easier and safer just landing in the crab.

I personally use both techniques depending on the strength of the crosswind. The higher the crosswind, the more likely I am to touch down in a crab.

Pags

N/A
pilot
@Griz882 better get some ASE gear. Next time you're on this side of the Potomac you'll be in my WEZ!
IMG_8670.jpg

@mad dog I'm surprised you haven't gotten into Estes in your spare time...seems up your alley... nostalgia and explosives.

For those of you wondering if the years have seen amazing gains for Estes prepare to be underwhelmed. The rockets are exactly the same toilet paper tubes with nose cones on them. But they're still fun until you jam a C motor into a rocket and you never see one again or watch another one get hung up in the trees that seemed safely 500yds away.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I was just over your town (I’ll start calling it “SAM City”) yesterday afternoon. I’ll have to come in low over the Potomac unless we can get @Brett327 to send some suppression assets my way. I loved the old Estes rockets

In the meantime.... @Griz882 vs. @Pags in the Battle of Indian Head.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
D rockets and motors are $$$ just to put them on a roof or in a tree.

My preference is the T motors and cheap little rockets. That way if they disappear....
If by “disappear” you mean into my puny little engine compartment or tin foil wing then you need a new hobby.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
D rockets and motors are $$$ just to put them on a roof or in a tree.

My preference is the T motors and cheap little rockets. That way if they disappear like mine did you're only out $4 or so. Plus there's usually no parachute to hassle with.
Squeeze an E into something that's supposed to use an A or a B.

Hey, I spent a hundred bucks on fireworks last summer. This is the same kind of fun.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Does anyone know if there is a SERE refresher course on the east coast? Maybe online?
If you pay me a couple of bucks I'll happily lock you in my shed while my kids practice their music outside and the dog sings along. Then I'll recite some Kipling to an ominous soundtrack. Throw some water on you and hand you a fancy certificate at the end. Maybe I'll up the realism with a simulated work party where you simulate spreading simulated mulch. By which I mean you spread mulch while I sit on the porch like something out of Cool Hand Luke.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
If you pay me a couple of bucks I'll happily lock you in my shed while my kids practice their music outside and the dog sings along. Then I'll recite some Kipling to an ominous soundtrack. Throw some water on you and hand you a fancy certificate at the end. Maybe I'll up the realism with a simulated work party where you simulate spreading simulated mulch. By which I mean you spread mulch while I sit on the porch like something out of Cool Hand Luke.
Sounds worse than the real one.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Does anyone know if there is a SERE refresher course on the east coast? Maybe online?
I'm pretty sure you can walk right in there.

I can give you directions to find where I carved my name inside the wall of the "safe house" about twenty years ago. Fun fact- my class went through the same week as the EP-3 was in China. Fuckin' Chinese... I'm pretty sure they're still mad at the West for everything that ever happened since the year 1271.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I'm pretty sure you can walk right in there.

I can give you directions to find where I carved my name inside the wall of the "safe house" about twenty years ago. Fun fact- my class went through the same week as the EP-3 was in China. Fuckin' Chinese... I'm pretty sure they're still mad at the West for everything that ever happened since the year 1271.
The AT run right through parts of Rangely. Before we met Mrs Pags used to guide hiking trips through their for her college.