• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Local proficiency sortie yesterday - was channeling my T-34C "short break at the numbers" - didn't get a pretty ground track although the landing was pretty decent. (strong winds out of the NW for rwy 1)

taxi1

pilot
Was up flying locally, and a commuter airline RJ flatted a tire on landing. Managed to limp off the runway so I didn't have to ditch my craft in a nearby lake. Created a lot of hubbub for our sleepy little airport!

The pax got to enjoy a much longer stay in the airplane before disembarking.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Local proficiency sortie yesterday - was channeling my T-34C "short break at the numbers" - didn't get a pretty ground track although the landing was pretty decent. (strong winds out of the NW for rwy 1)
That actually looks about right for a break, not much different than any of the ones I ever had my iPad recording (with the student at the controls or me, not much difference). The turn radius changes a lot for the first half or more of the maneuver- you're flying a constant angle of bank turn with decreasing airspeed through whatever the winds are at pattern altitude, then fine tuning the last bit of the turn so you roll out on centerline.

Was up flying locally, and a commuter airline RJ flatted a tire on landing...

The pax got to enjoy a much longer stay in the airplane before disembarking.
The air conditioning in those usually sucks when you're on the ground, so there's that.

taxi1

pilot
Yesterday afternoon I was departing the airport just outside our class D, and thought I saw a bird off the left side. Turned and looked, and it was a quadcopter up at 1,500 AGL or so. Surprise!

I was on a mission, so to speak, else I'd have turned around and watched him to see where it ended up. Let the tower know, but they were meh.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Yesterday afternoon I was departing the airport just outside our class D, and thought I saw a bird off the left side. Turned and looked, and it was a quadcopter up at 1,500 AGL or so. Surprise!

I was on a mission, so to speak, else I'd have turned around and watched him to see where it ended up. Let the tower know, but they were meh.
They are a real hazard over in Pagistan, there must be a club or something near Waldorf but the local EMS guys call them in quite often and I’ve seen a few. Further north, in PG County, they have a dedicated field for RC aircraft but the quadcopter guys are busting the altitude ceiling all the time.

jmcquate

Contributor
They are a real hazard over in Pagistan, there must be a club or something near Waldorf but the local EMS guys call them in quite often and I’ve seen a few. Further north, in PG County, they have a dedicated field for RC aircraft but the quadcopter guys are busting the altitude ceiling all the time.
That's awful close the the DCA 01 visual pattern and Andrews. Seems like the Feds would crack down on that.

jmcquate

Contributor
Parked next to a civilian C-130 on the ramp at Willow Run (KYIP) yesterday - curious!! Any story behind this aircraft/company?

View attachment 32756

View attachment 32757

Obiligatory panel shot in cruise on a beautiful ride home

View attachment 32758

taxi1

pilot
What is the typical process for going to, say, Centennial in Denver and renting a single engine craft? My mom lives there, and wants me to take her for a spin. Expect a check ride, I assume? At least to learn course rules?

VMO4

Granted I am in Florida, but any rental/school around here usually has an insurance requirement of a check ride with one of their CFI's before a solo rental. Back in my rental days, sometimes, that was as little as three bounces around the pattern, sometimes, and hour or so involving some slow flight etc..then a little pattern work.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
What is the typical process for going to, say, Centennial in Denver and renting a single engine craft? My mom lives there, and wants me to take her for a spin. Expect a check ride, I assume? At least to learn course rules?
Check out Aspen Flying Club at Centennial. They used to be very military vet friendly but may have changed. They have a decent fleet.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
Parked next to a civilian C-130 on the ramp at Willow Run (KYIP) yesterday - curious!! Any story behind this aircraft/company?

View attachment 32756

View attachment 32757

Obiligatory panel shot in cruise on a beautiful ride home

View attachment 32758
They have been doing charter work for a good long time. I was once sent over to the Cherry Point refuel pits to hand deliver a box of parts to some old fat guy so a gripe could be fixed. "deliver the box and leave, don,t ask any questions"

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
"Renting" a GA airplane in this climate is a real challenge. Most of these "FBO aircraft" are there to generate revenue via Part 61 training - and most of the owners keep the aircraft on a short leash that maximizes CFI and usage revenue. It sucks for the GA oriented pilot that does not own an airplane. There is no Avis or Hertz type network - and thats a shame. Its been tried but no one has seemed to be able to nail the business model. I wish very much someone would solve the issue.

I don't know what he future for GA holds - my flying club has 22 people on the wait list. We are having almost no turnover - which is unusual. But its a symptom of the demand curve for GA and training. The new, younger members I get are all focused on training and time building and getting to that magic 1500.

BTW, Its affordable when two dudes go on a VFR XC, low cruise power setting (90-100 KIAS in a 172), the pilot flying "wears" a view limiting device and logs PIC, the other guy acts as Safety Pilot (required crewmember) and logs PIC time as well. At $100/tach hour, its an affordable path to help get to 1500. (billing is tach)

With new airframes going for Sky high $ (> $400K for a 172) and 100LL soon to be the new evil thing for the environmental nazis, my crystal ball on GA is not so clear.