• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Reminds me of a 1980's vintage automated office mail delivery contraption that was in the DLA HQ complex. One of them made a few cameos in "The Americans" delivering mail at the FBI offices.
My last command was DLA HQ, those mail robots are still there.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I believe the Air Force CSO training squadron is completely separate and its own independent tenant at NAS Pensacola
True, the AF’s 479th FTG is flying Blue & White T-6s while the Navy’s TW-6 is flying Orange and White T-6s. Both at NAS Pensacola.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do they share aircraft and maintenance? In other words, might a Navy crew check out an AF plane in a feel-good “jointly” way and is the contract the same vendor for both services?
That would make too much sense….but sadly the two services and thusly the two pots of money shall never cross.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
CSO/NFO shared training was the last of that great experiment in joint service combined flight training between AF and Navy. Although I have a number of AF C-130 types at work that look fondly at their days at VT-31 flying the T-44 - they always talk with amazement how different the flying culture was coming from AF T-6 UPT.

In the end it was these culture differences that doomed any further shared undergraduate flight training between AF and Navy.

Last edited:

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Well, it’s isn’t completely dead. The AF and Navy still send IPs to fly at each other’s Primary Squadrons. The AF to VT-3 at Whiting and the Navy to Vance.

ChuckMK23

pilot
Well, it’s isn’t completely dead. The AF and Navy still send IPs to fly at each other’s Primary Squadrons. The AF to VT-3 at Whiting and the Navy to Vance.
Thanks @jollygreen07 - did not realize that was still going on. Our new DO and our current CC were both IP's @ VT-3. But I figured that exchange IP program died a few years ago when the joint training ended. Thats great to hear!!

ChuckMK23

pilot
Still, it seems more “combined” than “joint.”
Griz I think its probably less than even "combined" - the training syllabuses and approach are very different at the pilot level. It is refreshing that AF and Navy cross pollinate IP's though - those connections last and pay off in spades operationally down the line. e.g. P-8 folks knowing the crews that are refueling them - "hey I was an IP with that guy/gal in the VT's back when", etc. (or fellow students at xxx war/staff college) That is super valuable in my rather insignificant-to-anyone opinion.

Last edited:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I realized today that when I see a K-MAX, it reminds me of a Picaso painting of a H-2. The face is distorted and there's the added extra breast/rotor for artistic sake. Or maybe I'm thinking of Dali.

51493643344_ab71dfba8a_h.jpg