• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Airplane Category PIC time building weekend XC for @PEPfromage with yours truly! We went to N05 - Hackettstown NJ - 2000' x 50' smack on the edge of the POTUS Golf TFR. Stopped at Bedford County PA (KHMZ) along the way for inevitable "bladder full" light.

441 NM!

@PEPfromage hard at work

@ChuckMK23 at the N05 airport "terminal" - no TSA line, no KCM entrance.

Parking the aircraft for a safe RON

Departing the TFR outer ring was easy peasy - a quick phone call to NY TRACON prior to departure, a discrete squawk in hand and we were on our way home Sunday.

@PEPfromage logged a nice 9.0 of PIC ASEL.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Stopped at Bedford County PA (KHMZ) along the way for inevitable "bladder full" light.
Range extender-

maxresdefault.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Does he call FACSFAC twice? "Giantkiller, Giantkiller, DOG03..."

It's insidious. And it's a thing for local CTAF with the HEMS guys, too. I can't figure out where it comes from because it seems like it's both gold wing guys and others, but not everyone. Look, if you're telling me you're landing at Hospital X, then I probably have a good idea of what city you're making the call for and you don't need to say said city 4+ times in your call.

ChuckMK23

pilot
It's insidious. And it's a thing for local CTAF with the HEMS guys, too. I can't figure out where it comes from because it seems like it's both gold wing guys and others, but not everyone. Look, if you're telling me you're landing at Hospital X, then I probably have a good idea of what city you're making the call for and you don't need to say said city 4+ times in your call.
Or the mundane "request airport advisory" call over CTAF when there is a perfectly good AWOS in service..... ugh!

Pags

N/A
pilot
I never understood why everyone insisted on calling FACSFAC multiple times but everyone else we just called like normal. I used to try and beat it out of guys but then they'd fly with someone else and get yelled at for not saying it twice. ?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Or the mundane "request airport advisory" call over CTAF when there is a perfectly good AWOS in service..... ugh!
Sad to say but that one is in the Primary FTI. It is vaguely grounded in reality, in the sense that whoever is at the FBO with a tabletop radio supposedly has an FCC license to be legal to talk on the thing. So technically you're asking the radio station operator for advisories on stuff like a proverbial NORDO light plane in the pattern, whichever runway is favored by the winds or what the calm wind runway is if that happens to be the case, or whatever else.

But yeah, it's rarely anything but pointless chatter.

ChuckMK23

pilot
Sad to say but that one is in the Primary FTI. It is vaguely grounded in reality, in the sense that whoever is at the FBO with a tabletop radio supposedly has an FCC license to be legal to talk on the thing. So technically you're asking the radio station operator for advisories on stuff like a proverbial NORDO light plane in the pattern, whichever runway is favored by the winds or what the calm wind runway is if that happens to be the case, or whatever else.

Someone please point the CNATRA dude in charge of the Primary FTI to the FAA AC :p

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_pol...fm/go/document.information/documentID/1032988

Pags

N/A
pilot

Yeah, I always assumed that call was a request for additional info beyond what AWOS could give you.

But most GA comms become pointless chatter pretty quickly.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I never understood why everyone insisted on calling FACSFAC multiple times but everyone else we just called like normal. I used to try and beat it out of guys but then they'd fly with someone else and get yelled at for not saying it twice. ?

I can't speak to GIANTKILLER, but for SEALORD, you'd have to call them 10 times just to get them to answer, and that's even after they put the new repeater out on the point at Mayport. I also could never understand the "Report crossing the ADIZ," call. Knowing we would lose comms pretty regularly at about the point of the ADIZ, I'd always call early, which of course would result in a "Call us in 3 miles when crossing the ADIZ." So if you know where I am....? It was explained to me by one of the OICs that they can't request a squawk from DC until we're at the ADIZ, which I don't buy for a moment.

I think they just generally loathed dealing with helos.

I'm guessing the FTI has it just as a hold-over from years ago when it was an accepted call (and before anyone would thrust the AIM in your face for making the call). It also seems like FBOs were much more willing to come on the radio back in the day then they are now, probably because of all of the data available to someone in a cockpit now.

Then again, even if you are landing the right way, you still need to actually listen to the radio, which seems to be what didn't happen for the Piper here (based on prelim info):

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
But most GA comms become pointless chatter pretty quickly.
“Hey Billy you in the air?”
“Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh....yep I’m up over...uhhhhhhhhhhhhh....Orange.”
“You flyin’ the Skylane?”
“Uhhhhhhhhhhh....nope.......I’m uhhhhhhhhhhh....in the Bonanza.”

Like that? Yes, this is an actual conversation from last weekend.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Words....and really frightening video!
When I got back into flying the instructor I had only gave me one bit of advice...”Never, ever, pause on the threshold of an uncontrolled airfield.” Pretty good advice.