• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
A repeat for a couple of you, but...

Still trying to figure out the TMR code for canine operations.

48496932311_1e24c4e7cf_b.jpg

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
A repeat for a couple of you, but...

Still trying to figure out the TMR code for canine operations.

48496932311_1e24c4e7cf_b.jpg
You’re certainly going to need to use SPC “9” — Special equipment — AEW, ECM, AMCM, photo, dog, etc.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Kind of an odd question, but yes it has shoulder belts. It's a '79.
I know you've been into general aviation your whole life, Dev, so you already know about shoulder belts and old airplanes-

A lot of small planes were built without them into the 1970s and a surprising number are still active and come up for sale on Trade-a-Plane. The owners just don't bother getting them installed (cost is around $2-3k). That kind of judgment and cheapskatedness boggles my mind, but that's another story.

After I bought my own airplane I flew it for a short time with the lap belts only before I got a shoulder belt kit and put it in. You know that recurring bad dream, from when you were a little kid, about going to school in your pyjamas and feeling super awkward and scared in your dream? Yeah... flying an airplane that has lap belts only feels ten times worse than that. If you crash with anything worse than a mild impact then your face will hit the glareshield and you'll either be a vegetable or you'll be dead. Then again, lots of people still don't wear their seatbelts in their cars...

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And some bench seat classics had a single belt for both pilot and passenger. Buddy in college had a Cessna 140 with single lap belt. Also flew in a Aeronca Chief with a single belt. We were all young and thin. Always wondered how that worked with a plus size guy and child beside.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I know you've been into general aviation your whole life, Dev, so you already know about shoulder belts and old airplanes-

A lot of small planes were built without them into the 1970s and a surprising number are still active and come up for sale on Trade-a-Plane.

I guess knowing the vintage (and pedigree) of the plane is what puzzled me about the question. Something perhaps not as obvious without that knowledge.

Now if I could just move up on the avionics wait list a little faster. Oh and the hangar wait list. But I know you're living large in a T-hangar now, Jim.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Beautiful day for a morning flight! First time I haven’t been bounced around by humidity-filled turbulent air. On the way back I got a shot of Quantico Air Station. I had hoped to get closer, but they were doing flight ops...rare for a Sunday.