• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Not aviation related but I drove to Wisconsin to do some family stuff...and I did some cheese stuff by going to my first dedicated “cheese shop”...

View attachment 30746
If you get “high” on cheese curds then we’ll count that. Although this does look like some kind of shady “just across the border” cheese operation.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This long range thumper was out back of the company building that hosts the local Army Aviation Heritage Foundation restoration facility. They make the Tactical Engagement Simulation System (TESS) for the Cobra, Apache and related land based players. Think MILES gear on steroids.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So, yesterday I picked up my Luscombe after the annual. IA found a 2"x4" heavy gauge piece of aluminum in the tail laying below the elevator control :eek:. It actually had scrapes on it from the he elevator control sliding over it. Little bit of turbulence, some extra fun maneuvers, or any one of my occasional bouncy landings could have lodged it in the elevator control causing a full jam or repositioned it so I had restricted up elevator travel.

It wasn't there during the last annual. I always preflight in that area, but primarily the tailwheel. It was had to see. It settled into that area over the last year, we don't know when. Of course she went to great efforts to find where it came from. Seems it was a shim used in assembly of the tail. The piece she found matched the shims used in the tail assembly. They used shims for gross adjustments of the entire empennage when attaching the tail. The attachment points were properly torqued and all shims tightly in place. The angles of incidence are all to spec. No chance I lose the tail. The determination was, the shim was dropped or misplaced during the restoration process 5 + years ago. It simply must have bounced around in the aft fuselage until it vibrated down to the end and settled under the elevator control.

A good wake up call. Make sure you are not complacent on your preflights. When you wash or wax your plane use that time for a super thorough look see. Not just a preflight when you are thinking about your trip or in a hurry to blow holes in the sky, but a dedicated inspection period with no thought to a pending flight. My FOD was visible to the naked eye in daylight. You just had to crane your head a bit and stare at it for 10 seconds to comprehend what you were looking at. When you do control checks really pay attention. Get full throw equally lock to lock and be aware of even minor increases in effort or binding. The scrapes on my FOD indicated there was minor interference with the elevator. I just never noticed even thought I do good control checks.

My little Luscombe is 75 years old. It is in great shape, but, still old and maintained (once restored) and operated by fallible humans. This is the second serious close call control FOD incident I have had in a plane. Going forward, I am actually scheduling for myself an in depth inspection at the 6th month after every annual. On my plane it will be easy. I am not pulling off the engine cowl, but will remove all inspection plates, the baggage compartment bulkhead and crawl under the panel. I will take a look at the annual inspection checklist my IA uses and consider all the know issues Luscombes can develop. From that I will develop my own semi-annual inspection checklist. It will be fun.

Be safe out there.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
So, yesterday I picked up my Luscombe after the annual. IA found a 2"x4" heavy gauge piece of aluminum in the tail laying below the elevator control :eek:. It actually had scrapes on it from the he elevator control sliding over it. Little bit of turbulence, some extra fun maneuvers, or any one of my occasional bouncy landings could have lodged it in the elevator control causing a full jam or repositioned it so I had restricted up elevator travel.

It wasn't there during the last annual. I always preflight in that area, but primarily the tailwheel. It was had to see. It settled into that area over the last year, we don't know when. Of course she went to great efforts to find where it came from. Seems it was a shim used in assembly of the tail. The piece she found matched the shims used in the tail assembly. They used shims for gross adjustments of the entire empennage when attaching the tail. The attachment points were properly torqued and all shims tightly in place. The angles of incidence are all to spec. No chance I lose the tail. The determination was, the shim was dropped or misplaced during the restoration process 5 + years ago. It simply must have bounced around in the aft fuselage until it vibrated down to the end and settled under the elevator control.

A good wake up call. Make sure you are not complacent on your preflights. When you wash or wax your plane use that time for a super through look see. Not just a preflight when you are thinking about your trip or in a hurry to blow holes in the sky, but a dedicated inspection period with no thought to a pending flight. My FOD was visible to the naked eye in daylight. You just had to crane your head a bit and stare at it for 10 seconds to comprehend what you were looking at. When you do control checks really pay attention. Get full throw equally lock to lock and be aware of even minor increases in effort or binding. The scrapes on my FOD indicated there was minor interference with the elevator. I just never noticed even thought I do good control checks.

My little Luscombe is 75 years old. It is in great shape, but, still old and maintained (once restored) and operated by fallible humans. This is the second serious close call control FOD incident I have had in a plane. Going forward, I am actually scheduling for myself an in depth inspection at the 6th month after every annual. On my plane it will be easy. I am not pulling off the engine cowl, but will remove all inspection plates, the baggage compartment bulkhead and crawl under the panel. I will take a look at the annual inspection checklist my IA uses and consider all the know issues Luscombes can develop. From that I will develop my own semi-annual inspection checklist. It will be fun.

Be safe out there.
Good find, opened eyes, stay safe!

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Those look like Flight Surgeon wings she's wearing. She's probably asking why he didn't mention a rash on that hand when he had his flight physical last week. His wingman to his left has that look on his face like he's wondering if it's contagious through contact with everyday objects like railings, doorknobs, handheld field radios...