• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Anyone have any extra info on Callahan/Fairhope (KCQF) for a fuel stop? Gas seems to be cheaper than Bay Minnette and worth the extra couple of miles off my rhumb line. I'll probably have lunch with me, so food isn't a priority, just a quick turn, good gas prices, and an approach if needed.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Anyone have any extra info on Callahan/Fairhope (KCQF) for a fuel stop? Gas seems to be cheaper than Bay Minnette and worth the extra couple of miles off my rhumb line. I'll probably have lunch with me, so food isn't a priority, just a quick turn, good gas prices, and an approach if needed.
It's a fairly active GA airport. The Teledyne Continental Motors factory is on the field (it's owned by the CHYCAPS these days, but still...). I've never full stopped there but it was always easy to get along with everyone else in the pattern.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor

Make sure you don't upset the fairhopians against airport noise. Those mouthbreathers will accuse you of doing aerobatics in the pattern. Take your loud airplane somewhere over the poors instead of the house they built next to an airport.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
That citizen is wrong on both guesses. It's actually the front seat compressor.

tom-cruise-top-gun-duet.jpg

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Found a nice 20+ year old wooden model hiding in another storage cabinet in my office (Government, Grey Steel, 1 Each, Standard). After some careful cleaning its my new desk ornament... I'll work on the small crack at some point.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Found a nice 20+ year old wooden model hiding in another storage cabinet in my office (Government, Grey Steel, 1 Each, Standard). After some careful cleaning its my new desk ornament... I'll work on the small crack at some point.

View attachment 29914
Free toy airplanes are the best toy airplanes! Just call the crack a bird strike.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Saw these guys at home base today. Didn't have time to talk. The C-172 was first in. When I left I saw the two C-152s. I had heard much about previous Air Force Academy aircraft and the ultimate switch to the Cirrus. Had no idea what these guys were all about, especially the 152s. In all I read about the new flight training aircraft that led to the Cirrus selection, it was about hot high performance in Colorado Springs, so the 152 was a surprise. Turns out there is a fleet of 172s (T-41) and 152s (T-52) just for the competitive flying team.

Also notable was the lack of masking and milling about less than 6 feet apart. I saw the C-172 at the fuel pump, and neither pilot had on masks as they taxied up. So what is the status of masks on a daily basis for active duty? Are these guys just going rouge while away from the flag pole? If so, I salute them. Very un-Air Force, let alone cadet like.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I have yet to see a single mask on an AF flightline. None of the IP's - including our O-6 CO wore a mask in or near the airplane. Inside at Base Ops was the only masking I saw at Maxwell.

The Cirrus' at USAFA are a big bowl of trouble. Serious operating issues in high temp/hi DA, so much so that they are considering divesting the entire fleet and buying new production Cessna T182's.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I have yet to see a single mask on an AF flightline. None of the IP's - including our O-6 CO wore a mask in or near the airplane. Inside at Base Ops was the only masking I saw at Maxwell.

The Cirrus' at USAFA are a big bowl of trouble. Serious operating issues in high temp/hi DA, so much so that they are considering divesting the entire fleet and buying new production Cessna T182's.
Seriously? The T-182 over a Cirrus at hi DA? Unless they have overloaded those things with all sorts of unnecessary stuff that is hard to imagine.