• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Barbara Fritchie's is now a used car lot. Masser's (next door) is still there though, and the food there is still the same. Barbara Fritchie's was run by the same folks until it closed, not just the pies, but all the food was cooked right there, and it was great!
Loved the dumplings (dessert kind) at Barbara Fritchie's. I can't remember the name, but is that restaurant further west on 40, near Gambrills still open? They always had killer fried chicken and hush puppies.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Loved the dumplings (dessert kind) at Barbara Fritchie's. I can't remember the name, but is that restaurant further west on 40, near Gambrills still open? They always had killer fried chicken and hush puppies.
Not sure where you mean. There is a place closer to town called Mountain View (on 40) that has a great breakfast. I had a great laugh there once when the place was filled with Confederate reenactors from their weekend drill.

brownshoe

Contributor
"The Old Stone House Inn"? I don't know if it's still open, I haven't been there in years. Gladchucks is where I frequent now.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Anyone have any extra info on Callahan/Fairhope (KCQF) for a fuel stop? Gas seems to be cheaper than Bay Minnette and worth the extra couple of miles off my rhumb line. I'll probably have lunch with me, so food isn't a priority, just a quick turn, good gas prices, and an approach if needed.

Revisiting this...if the winds allow, I'm thinking of bypassing CQF for KHSA. Pricier gas, but more miles covered at altitude and may allow for a 3-leg trip to become a 2-leg trip. Any thoughts?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I haven't been there in a while but I don't remember the food or crew car being bad. Double check St. Elmo and Dauphin Island as good "headwind alternates" and I don't see a problem. Will you be cutting across Mobile Bay or following the highways and shoreline?

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Revisiting this...if the winds allow, I'm thinking of bypassing CQF for KHSA. Pricier gas, but more miles covered at altitude and may allow for a 3-leg trip to become a 2-leg trip. Any thoughts?
I think this is a smart choice. Flying at altitude should make up for the difference in fuel costs as long as you have a good alternative like MJD.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Flew up to KFDK. While having lunch this brand new, just off the shelf, -60 flew in. The crew were Sikorsky employees and the bird is heading south to get stacked up with a bunch of others for FMS.

View attachment 29997

Also the airport is named for this tragic soul who died in WWII. I guess someone from every town had to go first.

View attachment 29999
Factory deliveries are fun. I delivered this one from 06FA to a parking lot in Huntsville. We counted seven different colors (383 or 34094 green, yellow, zinc, teal, yellow, black, and brown).
17-27422 seems a bit low for a new aircraft. We took delivery of a new HH-60M last year 19-21085. I know the HH and the UH have different lots, but didn't think they were that far apart in years/lots.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I haven't been there in a while but I don't remember the food or crew car being bad. Double check St. Elmo and Dauphin Island as good "headwind alternates" and I don't see a problem. Will you be cutting across Mobile Bay or following the highways and shoreline?

I plan to be IFR up around 8-10K on V198 through SJI. It looks more direct than coming down from TLH and going along the corridor on the beach. It will be a weekday, so I don't think I'll get any love cutting across the Cradle.

I think this is a smart choice. Flying at altitude should make up for the difference in fuel costs as long as you have a good alternative like MJD.

Even with long climbs, I have a feeling I'd come out behind at $.70/gal difference. BUT, the main benefit is that it makes the second leg possible (although not certain), which makes a long day slightly shorter. I'm also willing to pay for the FS pricing (which I think is the only option at HSA) just to expedite my ground time. I can munch on my sandwich and flight plan while the plane is gassed instead of having to take the time to do everything myself. It seemed to work well at MEI and whatever the place I was at in Albequerque.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Just back from a trip to Chicago-land.

Night IFR return - say 168 KTS GS!

Video - my boss at the controls - who never flew up low level VFR Flyway under Class B before (C-17 driver) he was psyched! Apologies in advance for the sucky / shaky camera work.

and lastly - I was in the IL State Police hangar - and got a tour of their MX-10 equipped 182. The SP pilots have a great gig. @mad dog was far more interested in the beater Ford Police Interceptor the crews keep around....

Pags

N/A
pilot

View attachment 30116

Video - my boss at the controls - who never flew up low level VFR Flyway under Class B before (C-17 driver) he was psyched! Apologies in advance for the sucky / shaky camera work.

and lastly - I was in the IL State Police hangar - and got a tour of their MX-10 equipped 182. The SP pilots have a great gig. @mad dog was far more interested in the beater Ford Police Interceptor the crews keep around....

View attachment 30117

View attachment 30118

View attachment 30119
Looks cold.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor

View attachment 30116

View attachment 30117

View attachment 30118

View attachment 30119
A few more minutes and you would have flown over my old campus!