• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Rand study on USAF pilot retention

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That shouldn’t surprise anyone given the state of retention these days.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
That shouldn’t surprise anyone given the state of retention these days.
It certainly doesn’t surprise me. This is the same service that used a coordinated campaign of lies to try to trick passed captains into accepting continuation. As usual though, this step will accomplish very little while shitting all over Marines they are supposed to care about. The timing is an especially nice touch, as many of the officers they decided not to promote have already submitted their transfer packages and are about two months from the end of their paychecks.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
The timing is an especially nice touch, as many of the officers they decided not to promote have already submitted their transfer packages and are about two months from the end of their paychecks.

That sucks, The consolation prize is that if they’re pilots, the can still start the process on Monday and have a job waiting for them by the end of the month. Might not be their first choice or best pay, but they’ll have something lined up if they really wanted to.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
That sucks, The consolation prize is that if they’re pilots, the can still start the process on Monday and have a job waiting for them by the end of the month. Might not be their first choice or best pay, but they’ll have something lined up if they really wanted to.
Yeah there are certainly civilian options. I’m just pointing out that services fucking their people over contributes to their retention problem. Some guys will face a tough choice, and maybe an increase of some small percentage of bodies in the IRR so the general at manpower can say he “did something”.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
as many of the officers they decided not to promote

This is also such a counterintuitive part of Marine Corps officer manpower. We desperately need experienced aviators to promote to O-4 and beyond, but we won't change our metrics of promotion.

If only there were provisions in Title 10 that covered what was really required to promote an officer. All of the shit the Marine Corps adds in to make someone "non-competitive" really just adds to their own bullshit created manpower problem.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Yeah. Though, there is a waiver for that in the ANG. You just have to be willing to wait for the paperwork to come back.

And of course, every dude who dropped an IST will get 2P'd, as the fact that tried to leave is a matter of record.

You can't leave, but we won't promote you as punishment for you trying to leave. 'Rah.

The Guard is much more flexible in those regards so for any 2P'd dudes who want to keep flying tactically I'd focus on that avenue. I was invited to a hiring board in Fresno and I brought up the fact that I had been 2P'd in front of the board because I didn't do EWS, though I had completed USAF SOS, and the CO told me "No worries, we'll hand you the keys to a C model, give you a blue hat, and gold oak leaves."

And I actually hung out with the WSO who was the reason this Maradmin was released this weekend. He's going to be riding in the backseat of an E model come this summer. Good for him. He now has the opportunity to become good at his job.

Meatloaf

pilot
Edit: just don't take the devil's money on the 2nd P and get stuck in the USMC IRR for 3 years...

I'm not familiar with Marine Corps policy, but the Navy tried the same thing with me. They were initially adamant that I had to complete 3 years in the reserves if I wanted my ISP. I pulled up some DoD Instruction and Title 10, and now I'm in the ANG with an exra $60k in the bank, so there was a way around that (again, at least on the Navy side). Also, I was out of the Navy one day and into the Guard the next without doing an interservice transfer stuff, so that may not be infallible, either.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
The Guard is much more flexible in those regards so for any 2P'd dudes who want to keep flying tactically I'd focus on that avenue. I was invited to a hiring board in Fresno and I brought up the fact that I had been 2P'd in front of the board because I didn't do EWS, though I had completed USAF SOS, and the CO told me "No worries, we'll hand you the keys to a C model, give you a blue hat, and gold oak leaves."

I dunno man, the CA guard in Fresno may not be the example you want to use.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
I dunno man, the CA guard in Fresno may not be the example you want to use.

That wasn't the Commander I was referring to. And like all things, probably very few people know the whole story.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That wasn't the Commander I was referring to. And like all things, probably very few people know the whole story.
True, there's usually more to the story, but even hinting at messing with people's right to go to the IG or the free exercise of other forms of redress is one of the quickest ways to get you canned from a leadership position - rightly so.

HuggyU2

None
... even hinting at messing with people's right to go to the IG or the free exercise of other forms of redress is one of the quickest ways to get you canned from a leadership position - rightly so.
Case in point.

However it didn’t end his career somehow.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
And I actually hung out with the WSO who was the reason this Maradmin was released this weekend.

At least on the 7315 side of the house we've heard rumblings about this coming down the pipe for a bit. It really doesn't help that every company grade officer in one squadron submitted IST packages. We are looking at losing an entire year group. But hey, let's not fix things, let's just make them not able to leave.

I'm not familiar with Marine Corps policy, but the Navy tried the same thing with me. They were initially adamant that I had to complete 3 years in the reserves if I wanted my ISP. I pulled up some DoD Instruction and Title 10, and now I'm in the ANG with an exra $60k in the bank, so there was a way around that (again, at least on the Navy side). Also, I was out of the Navy one day and into the Guard the next without doing an interservice transfer stuff, so that may not be infallible, either.

That's definitely a thing, but you' have to get a conditional release from the IRR- which used to be given out like candy. It's not working out for a couple of dudes who were just told, "Well, you can accept activation orders for a unit in 4th MAW or you can stay in the USMC IRR..." No thanks...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's definitely a thing, but you' have to get a conditional release from the IRR- which used to be given out like candy. It's not working out for a couple of dudes who were just told, "Well, you can accept activation orders for a unit in 4th MAW or you can stay in the USMC IRR..." No thanks...

Wow, talk about screw jobs. Note to leaders, deliberately fucking over folks who have already chosen to get out just because ain't exactly a morale or confidence builder for folks still in.