• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Rand study on USAF pilot retention

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Cougar just turned down the department head bonus and unaccompanied staff weenie orders to a numbered fleet.

(With a verbal agreement from the detailer, who will be gone in three months, that be can pick his coast when he is up for follow-on orders.)

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I'm sure this question will whip of a good ol' fashion shit show, but how many of the folks expressing the most discontent and angst with Naval Aviation got their first choice out of Primary?

There are people in every platform the Navy flies who are unhappy about their lot in life for one reason or another, but i wonder sometimes if the point of divergence made six months into one's career isn't where a lot of unhappiness and discontent starts; or at least makes it A LOT easier to grow discontented and disgruntled along the way?

separately:

Generally speaking, service means being okay with this, and not using it as a cudgel.

I’m not sure what your point for the first part is, since the most desirable (except for the last couple months where 50.1s were getting drafted and numero uno was going p-8s) communities are hurting the worst to fill DH seats.

As to the second, it’s not a cudgel to expect leaders to advocate on behalf of their people, especially if they need them. If there are things in their power to make service more attractive, and they have a retention problem, why wouldn’t they try that?

They obviously have the power to fuck with conditional releases, so it just looks petty and beneath the level of two-way respect you’d expect from someone after giving 10-12 years of service when that’s their initial reaction vice making staying in a more attractive proposition to guys at the jumping point.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm sure this question will whip of a good ol' fashion shit show, but how many of the folks expressing the most discontent and angst with Naval Aviation got their first choice out of Primary?

From my perch where I see a regular stream of 'quitters' joining the reserves from every aviation community the discontent and angst certainly doesn't seem to be limited to folks who didn't get their first choice. I would hate to think Naval Aviation leadership has an attitude that dismisses valid complaints because they are so petty to think it is because folks didn't get their number one choice out of primary.

SlickAg

pilot
separately:

Generally speaking, service means being okay with this, and not using it as a cudgel.
How is he or anyone else here using their service as a weapon?

We've all earned the right to have an opinion of what's happening in our military. An internet connection and a computer give us the ability to share them with each other.

I'm surprised that you would take umbrage with his advocating the Armed Services taking care of their people. Serving them. Acting as servant leaders.

Here's an analogy of what (I think) @scoolbubba was talking about.

Imagine you're the MO in your squadron. And AE3 (AW) Timmy had done a good job for you in the Avionics shop but he did his four years and he's getting out. He's going to go back home and work in the family tire shop. There's an Air National Guard unit in his hometown, and he has some buddies from high school there. He'd like to keep serving part-time so he can transfer his GI Bill, earn some extra money, and help out his young family. Plus, he liked his time in the Navy: the camaraderie, the friendships, and the chance to feel like he had done something special and really made a difference.

But the Navy won't let him do an inter service transfer to the ANG- he can’t get a conditional release. Because Big Navy screwed up their manning and are short AE3s. If he was an AD3 he could switch seamlessly because the Navy doesn't need AD3s. Or if he were an AE1, because they're fat on E-6s in his rate. Tough luck for Timmy. But what about the Navy reserve you might say? The nearest NOSC (navy reserve center) is an eight hour drive away. He'd like to keep serving his country but he'd like to do it a little bit closer to home.

Nope, he has to go into the IRR as an AE3. No ANG for you. "Pick your rate, pick your fate".

And we're the idiots for thinking that the Navy should help Timmy out? Would he have been as loyal to the Navy during his service if he knew the Navy wouldn't be loyal to him when it was time for him to leave? Everyone loses in this situation. And you’re implying that Timmy is weaponizing his service by thinking it’s fair for him to be granted a conditional release to join the ANG?

It should anger all leaders in all services that the Marine Corps just did this to all O-3 and below aviators.

Last edited:

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Griping about those that haven’t served doesn’t seem to have a place in discussions on feeling left behind in service.

Feels like saying you’re owed something, vice giving of yourself.

HuggyU2

None
Glad to see the North Korean aircrew wear their helmets when anywhere near the flightline, just like my USN brethren.

Do they also wear the same Navy ejection seat harness that was designed in 1948?

For the record, we remove our ascot before engine start.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Glad to see the North Korean aircrew wear their helmets when anywhere near the flightline, just like my USN brethren.

Do they also wear the same Navy ejection seat harness that was designed in 1948?

I have to say, on the few occasions I got to fly the F-15 out of Eglin (96th Test Wing) it was cool stepping to the jet wearing a garrison cap. And as I have mentioned before I had severe gear envy from my experience being fitted with ALSS. It was a bit of a downer strapping back on the mighty TH-57 to fly back to KNDZ. But great memories!

SlickAg

pilot

I’m surprised y’all don’t.

If an 18 year old Air Policeman with a machine gun could shoot me for crossing a silly red line I’d want as much PPE as I could get anytime I was near the flight line.