• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Racism in the Military

exNavyOffRec

There were possibly a lot of renamings during the commissioning of private vessels into USS, USNS, or USCG service at the outset of WW1 and WW2, but I’m not able to look it up right now.

I just read Stennis’ bio on wikipedia. Nothing strikes me as very worthy of an aircraft carrier. He did not serve in the Navy or accomplish anything particularly courageous in his life. Obviously, the Navy and DoD have often played (and will continue to play) to egos in Congress to achieve tactical appropriations victories. But yeah, let’s rename it, why not. It doesn’t cost anything to rename it.
This is another case of people changing and evolving as time goes by, people can change their minds. He was well thought of by his more liberal colleagues.

[U.S. Rep. Norm Dicks, D-Belfair, served with Stennis on defense appropriations, and remembers a meticulous leader.

"He was a tremendous person," Dicks said. "He'd make us go through the budget line item by line item. He was deeply admired by those on the (Capitol) Hill."]

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Meh, I chalk that up to the comity of the Senate. That’s a long tradition. Also, maybe he was buttering up his colleague. Stoking that ego.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I thought the reason Vinson and Stennis ended up with CVNs was basically a reward for careers in Congress where they were pro-Navy, especially in the budget sense.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I thought the reason Vinson and Stennis ended up with CVNs was basically a reward for careers in Congress where they were pro-Navy, especially in the budget sense.
Yep:

Probably also lots of politicking beyond the official history as Stennis's replacement was Trent Lott who was from Pascagoula and was USN shipbuilding budget friendly as well.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Stennis had the unmitigated temerity to live in his time...how dare he not be as “evolved” as today’s “Woke” youth?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
wouldn’t say surprising.

I don’t know. Not sure how to explain it.
Would it have anything to do with black prejudice against Asians? (Not saying you specifically)

My ex-mother-in-law was Japanese. She lived with us for 3 years in Norfolk, VA and 4 years in Jacksonville, FL. In both places she was treated fine by everyone except blacks. The blacks treated her like shit including calling her derogatory names to her face and refusing to serve her in stores/restaurants. It was bad enough in Jacksonville (Norfolk was only occasionally) that she never went to any of the restaurants or anything but a major chain store by herself. My ex-wife didn’t look Asian unless she was standing next to her mom. Then you could see the features. When she was with her mom she got similar treatment.

Look at some of the past LA riots, especially the Rodney King riots. Black guy gets beat by white cops, blacks go to Asian businesses and destroy them. Black leaders blame Koreans for being sucssful in historically black neighborhoods.

Racism is not just a white thing.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Would it have anything to do with black prejudice against Asians? (Not saying you specifically)

My ex-mother-in-law was Japanese. She lived with us for 3 years in Norfolk, VA and 4 years in Jacksonville, FL. In both places she was treated fine by everyone except blacks. The blacks treated her like shit including calling her derogatory names to her face and refusing to serve her in stores/restaurants. It was bad enough in Jacksonville (Norfolk was only occasionally) that she never went to any of the restaurants or anything but a major chain store by herself. My ex-wife didn’t look Asian unless she was standing next to her mom. Then you could see the features. When she was with her mom she got similar treatment.

Look at some of the past LA riots, especially the Rodney King riots. Black guy gets beat by white cops, blacks go to Asian businesses and destroy them. Black leaders blame Koreans for being sucssful in historically black neighborhoods.

Racism is not just a white thing.
Not saying you’re wrong but there was more to the targeting of Koreans in 92. The Korean shop owners had been victimized for quite some time and the killing of Natasha Harlins and subsequent lack of jail time for the Korean shop keeper were certainly major factors.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Not saying you’re wrong but there was more to the targeting of Koreans in 92. The Korean shop owners had been victimized for quite some time and the killing of Natasha Harlins and subsequent lack of jail time for the Korean shop keeper were certainly major factors.
This riot went on while she was living with us and we followed it closely especially since she and my ex were from San Diego right down the road.

nodropinufaka

The Latasha Harlins incident was prob worst then the Rodney king incident and a major factor for riots.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
The Latasha Harlins incident was prob worst then the Rodney king incident and a major factor for riots.
There is absolutely no doubt that there were multiple causes to the riots and multiple reasons Koreans were targeted. Her killer getting time served was definitely a gross miscarriage of justice but there was prejudice against Koreans evn before that. Their economic success was a big factor.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
As to renaming the ship, I have no idea how to deal with the superstitions and voodoo involved. Has a capital ship ever been renamed during it's active life?
CVE-63 (WWII) was named Midway but when some thought that lofty battle deserved a big carrier (not a puny CVE) so the planned CV-41 got it and the name of the -63 was changed to Saint Lo. One month later she was sunk during the Battle of Leyte Gulf.

Fleet Collier No. 3, the USS Jupiter became the USS Langley. She was sunk in 1942.

The submarine USS Squalus (SS 192) was renamed Sailfish in 1940. Twenty-six sailors died aboard the Squalus when it sank in an accident off Portsmouth, New Hampshire in 1939. The ship was raised, brought back to Portsmouth and rebuilt, re-entering service in 1940 with the new name. She survived the war, but the CO repeatedly threatened the crew that if anyone mentioned the word “squalus” or “squalfish” he would dump them overboard.

Side note...One on the change list I was not aware of until recently is the USS Chancellorsville, CG-62, named after a Confederate battle victory.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I still don’t see an upside...
You’ve ironically pointed it out.

The character limit on Twitter makes it a great echo chamber to post mob opinions without any supporting evidence, and to get positive reinforcement through likes and shares.

Kind of like your posts deriding it.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I’m not deriding it. It’s just not for me.

Like needlepoint knitting. I’d rather just buy the sweater In 5 minutes from the store I want. If people want to spend all month knitting, that’s their thing, go for it. I don’t see the point.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I’m not deriding it. It’s just not for me.

Like needlepoint knitting. I’d rather just buy the sweater In 5 minutes from the store I want. If people want to spend all month knitting, that’s their thing, go for it. I don’t see the point.
You’re just being obtuse.