• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Quick question about DOD Windshield Decal

Renegade One

None
Easy way to remember where the stickers go, the numbers match up to the numbers and the letters match up to the letters.

Huh? In SD, month and year are both "numbers". I no habla the "letters match up to the letters" gouge...

phrogpilot73

Don't know who enforces that...or really cares!
When you get your car inspected in VA, and you have your sticker applied as instructed from MD... They scrape your sticker at the inspection station and tell you it's illegal.

New River applied the sticker for me, Lejeune handed it to me. I think it all depends on how bored/lazy the people that are working there are.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
They just give them to you at Whiting too...and then tell you which cop to watch out for because he hands out tickets like a SNAG hands out crabs.

Uh, what? I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket for where they put their sticker. In fact, a sticker isn't required to get in the base. A pass does the same thing, which I've had on my seat after I went through (w/ a rental), so I really wouldn't sweat it.

My personal pet peeve is them "demanding" that you get a Whiting sticker when you have one from another base. "This is a DOD sticker, is it not?" They don't like that too much. At this point, the only point of a sticker is to give and track tickets issued.

H20man

Drill baby drill!
Huh? In SD, month and year are both "numbers". I no habla the "letters match up to the letters" gouge...

My stickers read JUN and 11. The serial code part of the sticker starts with a letter and ends with a number.

So it reads JUN (Serial Code) 11

UMichfly

pilot
None
Uh, what? I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket for where they put their sticker. In fact, a sticker isn't required to get in the base. A pass does the same thing, which I've had on my seat after I went through (w/ a rental), so I really wouldn't sweat it.

Sorry, didn't mean to make it seem like he writes tickets for stickers. I don't think he does. I'm talking about the kid who writes 10 times as many tickets as the rest of the cops on base combined. He's the one who hides behind bushes with his roadguard vest on and jumps out to stop people going 26 in a 25. The Judge in traffic court just laughs at him and ignores most of his tickets it seems like.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
They give the sticker to you at NAS Pensacola and they put it on the car for you at NAS Corpus.

I've gotten my decal stickers at 32nd street (San Diego) and Corpus and both put them on for me. I didn't really know different bases have different rules for these types of things.

Different states have different rules about where the stickers go. On my VA registered car they are centered at top. On my MD reg car they are lower drivers side. I didn't know that until the Fort I got my stickers from pointed it out. Don't know who enforces that...or really cares!

I've always been wondering why different bases place it differently. I figured it was the base, and not the state that decided where on the windshield it should be placed.

H20man

Drill baby drill!
My personal pet peeve is them "demanding" that you get a Whiting sticker when you have one from another base. "This is a DOD sticker, is it not?" They don't like that too much. At this point, the only point of a sticker is to give and track tickets issued.

The rent-a-cops at 32nd street about had a heart attack when I had my decal sitting in my window as I had not applied it yet. Freaking out about how its a security violation that I was just given the decals.

I thought the stickers just indicated your vehicle was registered and insured, and that the security rested on them properly checking ID's. They weren't too happy about that.

At Miramar I don't even think you need those stickers, I've driven the grandparent's car on there numerous times without a second glance.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Sorry, didn't mean to make it seem like he writes tickets for stickers. I don't think he does. I'm talking about the kid who writes 10 times as many tickets as the rest of the cops on base combined. He's the one who hides behind bushes with his roadguard vest on and jumps out to stop people going 26 in a 25. The Judge in traffic court just laughs at him and ignores most of his tickets it seems like.

Gotcha. I never got a ticket on base at Whiting, but one day I did get "scolded" by one of the MAs. Apparently it was the opening of the new gym and two MAs in vests were at the corner there by the new parking lots across from the White House. I down shifted making a left turn, which of course sounds like you're "going fast" (I may have been doing 28, but come on). I was then yelled at and told to slow down. I had had some other run-ins w/ the local gestapo earlier, so this time I just stopped in the middle of the road and asked, "What is the speed limit here?"

MA: "You need to slow down, sir."
Me: "What's the speed limit?"
MA: "25, sir, but you need to slow down."
Me: "I was going 25, why do I need to slow down?"
MA: "You need to slow down coming around the corner, sir."

And I was done and sped off. I had no idea there were separate speed limits for turns. Oh, wait, there aren't.

As for the decal discussion, it was mentioned in another thread, but the AF seems to be done w/ decals (as do the Marines, from the little I've seen).

MasterBates

I was riding my motorcycle to work when I was stationed at Mayport, coming in thru the back gate (I took the ferry pre-wonderwood) and I came around the turns "dangerously fast" according to a GS type DOD cop.

I asked the speed limit. I was doing it. He gave me the same "YOU NEED TO SLOW DOWN!!!! sir" thing. He tried to make me "walk" my motorcycle the 1/2 mile to the squadron. I told him that is NOT an option, and bring out the watch commander if he has a problem with that.

Meanwhile, my XO rolls up, goes WTF, cop is FOAMING at the mouth going "BUT HE TOOK THE TURN AT *gasp* 25MPH SIR!!" To which my XO replied "so did I, that's the limit. What's the problem"

This was the same cop who would harass our AWs for running facing traffic. Bored DOD cop with nothing to do. Krock is not so bad in that aspect thankfully.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....Bored DOD cop with nothing to do....
The solution: BRING BACK THE SHORE PATROL !!!

At least they were "one of us" and "minimalists" generally speaking ... and didn't go "looking for scalps" amongst their fellow sailors and airmen. :)

shorepatrolry6.gif

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
As for the decal discussion, it was mentioned in another thread, but the AF seems to be done w/ decals (as do the Marines, from the little I've seen).

Not that I've seen. We have to have the sticker, and get our ID checked almost every single time we go through the gate.

Evidently it is policy ordered by the Department of Redundancy Department.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I understand the idea of DoD stickers (despite the redundancy of checking IDs with them), but I don't understand why they have one for each base. Why not just make different colored DoD stickers since the blue/red thing is really what matters and eliminate the sticker underneath?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Some AF bases have done away with the DOD sticker altogether. Doing away with the DOD sticker basically takes all bite out of on base speeding tickets.