• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions about OCS

jmj689

Candio phase is pretty nice when it comes to chow. You're allowed to get desserts and drink coffee again which a lot of people take advantage of since you can't have it beforehand. But otherwise yeah, it's basically just cafeteria food.
Oh my...coffee at OCS? That's amazing, I never would have expected that. Can't remember the last time I went through a day without a cup of coffee, planning on stopping a week or two before shipping to OCS. If anything, this gives me motivation to make it to candio phase haha.

Larick

None
Contributor
We got our cellphones during Candio Phase and just had food delivered from out in town instead of eating in the galley. Mama Leones for days!

jay1914

I have been studying Appendix B from the 2020 OCR. Is that up to date with the current OCR?
That’s ROM. When I did ROM, there were online modules we had to complete and two hours each day of self-guided PT. By the time I left though, they turned it into something much more structured. It looks like they’ll teach you some drill and chow hall procedures while you’re ROMing. Use the time to memorize bravo and get used to waking up at 0430.

zschaub1

Any information or advice is appreciated.

I have a few questions regarding OCS selection process and OCS training. I applied to four different positions and have currently heard back from one board. The board I heard back from is for Surface Warfare Officer Engineering Duty and my recruiter informed me that I am second on the alternate list. How likely is it that I will be given a slot being on the alternate list? If given a slot what notice will I receive? Should I be concerned whether or not I will be accepted to the other positions I have applied for (SWO, Intel, and AMDO) considering I got put on the alternate list for this position? For perspective, I am a Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering graduate from the University of Florida with a 3.24 GPA.
My other main concern is PT for OCS, if accepted. I have ramped up training since I heard back from the first board but am worried I will not be in OCS shape in time. In general, I am on the outside looking in on the PT requirements. Since college I have always enjoyed weight lifting, is this something I should completely substitute for OCS specific exercises? Finally, in OCS what is the PRT? Are there PT tests in the first week that disqualify you from continuing with the training? If so, where can I find these qualifications?
I appreciate any feedback, I am very nervous and excited for the possibility of going to OCS and want to make certain I am prepared.

Update: For anyone who stumbles across this thread. I got picked up for SWO and and SWO EDO. I ended up going EDO. So anyone on the alternate list, there definitely is hope.

zschaub1

I got picked up for SWO and got put on the alternate list for SWO EDO. While waiting to shipout for SWO I got bumped up to EDO from the alternate list and accepted that contract. I did not know there was not an alternative list for SWO. I was only vouching for EDO.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

I got picked up for SWO and got put on the alternate list for SWO EDO. While waiting to shipout for SWO I got bumped up to EDO from the alternate list and accepted that contract. I did not know there was not an alternative list for SWO. I was only vouching for EDO.
Those designators that select once per year sometimes have an alternate list, what they have tended to do in the past is will say FY 21 select and FY 22 select/FY 21 alternate

BOMR822

pilot
curious to as if there is a limit on how many times a candidate can roll due to PT
I know of one or two people who rolled for Fast Cruise 3 times, and one who rolled 4 due to vomiting. The one who rolled the fourth time was told he had one more chance to pass it, but he was told the same thing the time before, so I don't know... Just plan not to roll, and practice and work out so it won't be a problem! I promise you can do it if you put the time and effort in.

IT1Rah

I am still trying to get selected for SWO (board is meeting now) so I am not an expert and I do not have personnel experience. But these YouTube videos are really helpful and informative.

CWO_change

I know of one or two people who rolled for Fast Cruise 3 times, and one who rolled 4 due to vomiting. The one who rolled the fourth time was told he had one more chance to pass it, but he was told the same thing the time before, so I don't know... Just plan not to roll, and practice and work out so it won't be a problem! I promise you can do it if you put the time and effort in.

It was by the grace of the gods that I didn't roll during my fast cruise evolution. I was literally on my last legs and about to give out when a training time out was called. Unfortunately for the subject of the training time out, this was her 4th time rolling due to not being physically capable of completing fast cruise and she was out-processed after that failure.

Another person I knew rolled so many times--but during different evolutions--that she managed to have 4 years of service time (was prior service) and get that coveted "E" status for pay purposes by the time she commissioned.

Still another person--a CEC candidate--rolled so many times that I lost count. He was at OCS at least two months before I got there and did not end up graduating--due to rolling at various evolutions--until after I had long left. We didn't understand why he wasn't out-processed, but figured it was because they really needed CEC officers and couldn't afford to lose him. But who really knows. When he rolled into my class, the entire group breathed a huge sigh of relief as we knew that the DI's attention would be on him. Unfortunately, that didn't last as he inevitably rolled out of our class, too.

exNavyOffRec

It was by the grace of the gods that I didn't roll during my fast cruise evolution. I was literally on my last legs and about to give out when a training time out was called. Unfortunately for the subject of the training time out, this was her 4th time rolling due to not being physically capable of completing fast cruise and she was out-processed after that failure.

Another person I knew rolled so many times--but during different evolutions--that she managed to have 4 years of service time (was prior service) and get that coveted "E" status for pay purposes by the time she commissioned.

Still another person--a CEC candidate--rolled so many times that I lost count. He was at OCS at least two months before I got there and did not end up graduating--due to rolling at various evolutions--until after I had long left. We didn't understand why he wasn't out-processed, but figured it was because they really needed CEC officers and couldn't afford to lose him. But who really knows. When he rolled into my class, the entire group breathed a huge sigh of relief as we knew that the DI's attention would be on him. Unfortunately, that didn't last as he inevitably rolled out of our class, too.
We had a few candidates that rolled multiple times each time for something different, I think 3 was the most from one, and that person is not a LCDR.

There was a NUPOC candidate we had who joined and had the max time in NUPOC, then during pre-OCS PRT stumbled on uneven ground messed up a knee pretty bad, but the time it was all said and done had just over 4 years enlisted time by OCS graduation.

IT1Rah

After OCS, how does it work moving your family to your next permanent duty station? (I know they cannot come with you to schools shorter than 6 months). Also, is there "boot leave" after OCS?