• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question of the day on court tv

Should there be a limit on the number of guns kept in a home.

• No way, no how, not under any circumstances

Votes: 57 90.5%
  • Depends on if kids live in the house

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Yes, we should only be allowed to have a certain number of guns, as determined by law

Votes: 5 7.9%

• Total voters

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Just like fly said this is about control. Take for instance the ban on bayonet lugs during the AW ban. Have you ever heard about someone getting bayoneted to death while the bayonet is attached to an "assault rifle"? The anti-gun movement just views these things as baby steps. Ask an anti-gun politician if they will be satisfied with any bill up for approval and they will tell you no. Its a start, or a movement in the right direction. Thats why the NRA fights any and all anti-gun laws, even if they don't represent the vast majority. It's a slippery slope.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
xmid said:
It's a slippery slope.

Yep. The anti-gunners are smart, very smart. They know EXACTLY what they're doing. It's why MA, CA, and other states have terrible gun laws now. They weren't always this way.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Yep. The anti-gunners are smart, very smart. They know EXACTLY what they're doing. It's why MA, CA, and other states have terrible gun laws now. They weren't always this way.

And MD.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Birdman1 said:
You need more than one. On your person? I was refferring to his comment of limit of 3 on your person

Well I guess I could envision the headlines - FORMER NAVY CPO ARRESTED WITH ARSENAL OF HIGH POWERED ASSAULT WEAPONS - HAD NOT KILLED ANYONE --- YET. POLICE FOUND FOLLOWING:

Collectors Corner - Special Interest
M1 Garand - Collector Item
M1 Carbine - My faithful companion 4+ years in ‘Nam, Laos, Thailand and ++
Mauser 98 - War trophy, the war before my time
Mauser .22LR used by Wehrmacht to train snipers, Trophy. Gun is approx 15 lbs.
Ruger 10/22 .22 plinking. Something to spend $$ for mods.
Stevens .22 Single Shot I purchased when I was 11 years old, from catalogue.

Hand Guns
Kimber CDP .45 home defense - sometimes carry
Kimber CDP Elite home defense -sometimes carry
Kimber Custom Royal .45 target practice
Walther PPK (Polize Pistole Krimnal(sic)) left over from days I required a carry backup.
Colt .45ACP 1911 currently in 52 (more or less) individual pieces, waiting in queue. To be worked on. Ancient.

Long guns
Winchester lever action carbine, deer hunting in heavy wooded areas.
Ruger 77, custom .308 hunting, medium size.
Winchester 70 30.06 to justify reloading set-up in basement.

Shot Guns
Double barrel shotgun for shooing traps (doubles) sometimes hunting.
Shotgun with slug barrel for wild boar hunting (or Bambi)
Semi-auto bird shotgun.
Pump action shotgun close in (range) hunting.:sleep_125

T

TXHusker05

Oh come on now Chief, you know the anti-gun people think that you can carry and fire all of those at the same time :D I don't understand what the anti-gun people are rambling about, instead of taking this and that away... why not set up mandatory training? Preferrably for anyone over the age of 18. I think being able to safely use and fire a firearm is something everyone needs to know so they don't flip out in the event they come across one.

Instead of mandatory military service like they have in most countries, mandatory gun education. Make it a required college class, that would teach those liberals hiding on campus!

What could possibly be a reason for limiting firearms in the home? Child safety isn't a reason, if you can't safely secure and lock up all of your weapons from a child... you don't even need one weapon. I don't have near the armory that the Chief has but I have my fair share of guns, what would a reasonable limit be (there is none, but what is the anti-gun limit?) I say an even 500 would do us just fine.

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
TXHusker05 said:
I don't understand what the anti-gun people are rambling about, instead of taking this and that away... why not set up mandatory training? Preferrably for anyone over the age of 18. I think being able to safely use and fire a firearm is something everyone needs to know so they don't flip out in the event they come across one.

Instead of mandatory military service like they have in most countries, mandatory gun education. Make it a required college class, that would teach those liberals hiding on campus!
I like that idea, except let's go one step farther: learn to shoot in high school. You could set it up an infinite number of ways, but I think it'd be good to have at least at a basic level of competence with rifle, shotgun, and handgun. Anybody who wanted to do some kind of tactical handgun course could do a follow up class. This makes enough sense that it'd never happen. Every parent in the school district would start screaming that the government was grooming their kids to become snipers or something.

I used to be on the little rifle-pistol team back at school and we'd always get some funny looks whenever we'd load up the van with our rifles. No exposure equals fear of the unknown; if people had a little hands-on experience, I think the entire gun debate would come pretty close to going away entirely.

Here's something else I can't quite figure (sorry if I'm threadjacking excessively here). I understand that private businesses have the right to set their own rules. However, disallowing either employees or customers from carrying firearms legally doesn't make that much sense to me. If this keeps going the way it is, the only place you'd be allowed to carry is in your car, on the street, and at home. Since most people are inside most of the time, it seems like the these restrictions gut the whole concept of the CCW permit in the first place.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
I am a range officer at our local club (Ranges: High power rifle, Pistol, Trap and Archery). I teach the youngins in air guns as well as small bore (.22LR) Nothing better to teach youngsters to be responsible in general but the special safety, forethought and responsibilities needed for handling guns. We are trying to establish a junior high power rifle team.

Oh, and I forgot to list me Gamo .17's!!

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I agree with the expoure deal. I learned how to shoot when I was 6 with an old shotgun at summercamp. I got back into shooting in 4th, 5th and 6th grade, and again in high school.

Now, I know just cuz you teach Joe Shmoe how to shoot, he's not gonna become a gun nut like Chief and Fly, but at least then he has an understanding that controlling the gun isn't the way to stopping violent crime or any gun-related crime... that lies in the attitude of the people.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
TXHusker05 said:
Oh come on now Chief, you know the anti-gun people think that you can carry and fire all of those at the same time :D I don't understand what the anti-gun people are rambling about, instead of taking this and that away... why not set up mandatory training? Preferrably for anyone over the age of 18. I think being able to safely use and fire a firearm is something everyone needs to know so they don't flip out in the event they come across one.

You don't understand the issue fully then. They don't want people to be exposed to guns or have training. That means they are educated and that means they most likely realize that an inanimate object such as a gun can NOT hurt you unless a human is behind the trigger.

Believe it or not, this is the way the country USED to be. How do you think Civilian Marksmanship Program started? It wasn't to sell Garands...

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
A4sForever said:
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book, 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

Man, to quote Ted Nugent, "These guys were light years beyond the thinkers we have today."

The founding fathers really had their **** together on a lot of stuff.

Hitler banned gun ownership in Germany, for example, and look how that turned out.

T

TXHusker05

Fly Navy said:
You don't understand the issue fully then. They don't want people to be exposed to guns or have training. That means they are educated and that means they most likely realize that an inanimate object such as a gun can NOT hurt you unless a human is behind the trigger.

Believe it or not, this is the way the country USED to be. How do you think Civilian Marksmanship Program started? It wasn't to sell Garands...

Well while we have a nice strong Republican congress, we need to work on that. Because we know when Hillary (or insert Liberal here) gets elected somewhere down the line, all guns will be made to shoot water or daisies out the barrel.

I remember in high school being on a rifle/pistol team in a really liberal town and people consistantly trying to shut our team down because they were training us to become snipers and infusing us with "anger." They basically thought all the kids on the team were going to come to school one day and mow down their honor roll student. Meanwhile we won more competitions, got better grade and did more for the school than their precious chess club kid did. Nobody got shot either.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
TXHusker05 said:
I remember in high school being on a rifle/pistol team in a really liberal town and people consistantly trying to shut our team down because they were training us to become snipers and infusing us with "anger." They basically thought all the kids on the team were going to come to school one day and mow down their honor roll student. Meanwhile we won more competitions, got better grade and did more for the school than their precious chess club kid did. Nobody got shot either.

There is a term for that... "Sheeple". They will believe anything someone tells them. Fear of the unknown and fear from miseducation.

Ever notice the people that gun down schools typically did not receive any real firearms instruction?

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
Fly Navy said:
Ever notice the people that gun down schools typically did not receive any real firearms instruction?

And were also ignored by those same bleeding heart liberals that claim to be fighting for them, but pay so much attention to people like us?

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
metro said:
And were also ignored by those same bleeding heart liberals that claim to be fighting for them, but pay so much attention to people like us?

And how those same bleeding-heart liberals are always calling for these kids' heads when they do shoot up their schools. Oh, and then call for the implementation of zero-tolerance policies that, in effect, don't do much.