• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question for helo guys

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
BRM21o said:
Gregsivers,

For selections, what do most people want? Is there generally an even spread of platforms? Do most people get their #1? Thanks!

This isn't even a germain question anymore. "What % get <blank>". On the Navy side it's an all '60 world. On the USMC side you'll be deploying as a composite anyway - do you think you would have the forsight to really distinguish whether 46's or V-22's or '53's would make you happier career wise? Maybe Cobras - they are unique enough. But honestly.... take a look in the mirror and if you are flying helos ask yourself... "does it really matter" Do you really understand enough to know what you want to ask intelligently in the first place?

A midwest mom can be heard to tell her kids "you get what you get and you don't care a bit" - that has some meaning here.

BRM21o

ChuckMK23 said:
do you think you would have the forsight to really distinguish whether 46's or V-22's or '53's would make you happier career wise? Maybe Cobras - they are unique enough. But honestly.... take a look in the mirror and if you are flying helos ask yourself... "does it really matter" Do you really understand enough to know what you want to ask intelligently in the first place?

A midwest mom can be heard to tell her kids "you get what you get and you don't care a bit" - that has some meaning here.

"Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

Just reminded me of that for some reason...

Reactions: bch

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
There's really no telling what most people want. It depends on the class, right now a lot of Marines want 53s. Navy side a lot of people (again, my class) want HSC cause they're flying the newest helo in the fleet. From what I gather, most people get something in their top 4 choices, be it coast or aircraft. Sometimes you'll get your last, and they even do a quality spread thing where they give the top and bottom guys the same platform to even out the pilots going there. Every class is different cause sometimes they'll have a draft for a particular platform/coast.

So, Chuck did kind of answer your question. It really isn't germain.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Concur with greg, things change from week to week and class to class, plus you have to figure in that a large class size will enable the detailers to give everyone higher-ranked choices. We had a sizable number of prior aircrewmen in my class, and they all wanted HSL Mayport, which is good, because all of the single guys didn't. So most everyone got their #3 or higher choice.

As for what people want - well, for me, it came down to which communities had the happiest/best IPs, and in my experience, that was the HC guys. HS guys mostly liked their jobs, but there was some grumbling. And then there was HSL... I got told by more than one HSL IP "do not select HSL." I'm not sure if it's just the close association with SWOs that does it or what, but it was readily apparent that a good many HSL guys were not happy with their community. However, the priors loved it, and some guys really like the idea of going to smallboys. There used to be a perception that HS was where you go to insert SEALs and blow sh!t up in general, but I think that's sort of gone by the wayside with the transition to HSC/HSM. I tried to do some research on the transition from HS/HC/HSL to HSC/HSM, but information was sorely lacking... bevo and gator's exchanges in this thread have been way more informative as to the future of Navy helos than any IP I talked to, including the PXO for 8 who just came from HELTACWINGLANT (I think that's right... the HSC wing on the east coast.) One thing I was able to glean about the whole process is that most IPs I talked to about it think that the transition won't move as fast as the schedule calls for, and that it won't really change the way that everyone operates *that* much, deploying as a squadron aside.

As for spreads... well, there was 1 HSC West, 1 HSC Guam, 6 HSL Mayport, 3 HSC East, 1 HC-4 and one HM-14 on the Navy side of the house in the last winging class... and I forget about the Marines, except for my buddy who got his last choice - 46s in Okinawa. But that's another story, and definitely the exception to the rule of getting what you want.

Current scuttlebutt has it that HSL is tired of getting the dregs of the selection process, and has been aggressively pursuing a quality spread type approach to their pilots, resulting in an HSL draft for the past 3-4 classes. Like I said, it varies from class to class, and there's nothing that you can do about it.

Bottom line - do your homework, talk to people, put down your choices and don't worry about it after that.

@Bevo: from what I understand (and correct me if I'm wrong), but the flight deck is for fixed-wing ops and helos are 2nd class citizens when it comes to the way the show is run... that made me lean towards HSC vs. HS. Even though it'll be a crapshoot in a few years here.

gregsivers

pilot
Well I found out selection today and I'm going HSL Mayport.

In today's selection a lot (5 or 6 I think) got San Diego in some capacity or another, 1 Guam, 3 Mayport, 3 Norfolk, and 1 H Corpus. So compare that to Squorch's post and see how much it can change from week to week.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Congrats, both of you. And greg, definitely look at Jax Beach. It can make up for the Milton-ness of Mayport.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ChuckMK23 said:
This isn't even a germain question anymore. "What % get <blank>". On the Navy side it's an all '60 world.

Not true....There are 3 MH-53E squadrons in the Navy. HM-15 in Corpus Christi, TX (BRAC'd to move to Norfolk) HM-14 is in Norfolk, and HC-4 just moved from Sigonella, Italy to Norfolk. HM-15 and HC-4 both have forward deployed dets in the sandbox doing logistical, NSW, and other good stuff.

There is a big party line about all the 53s going away on the Navy side. The airframes are being essentially SLEP'd and will be around quite awhile to come. So, if any of y'all have any questions about the mysterious world of Navy 53s and their future, PM me (or ask here) and I'll be glad to discuss and hopefully enlighten you.

It's true....we don't shoot missiles. We would if we could rig them up, BUT we are armed with some pretty bad-ass weps and some extreme rotor downwash.:icon_mi_1

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
Congrats, both of you. And greg, definitely look at Jax Beach. It can make up for the Milton-ness of Mayport.
Or better yet, continue south to St Augustine - best beaches w/i easy drive.

Brett

gregsivers

pilot
gatordev said:

Milton-ness of Mayport? Man thats not what I wanted to hear at all.:icon_tong

So Jax Beach is a good place to live? I hadn't thought at all about St Augustine Brett, but maybe I'll check into it. Thanks for the tips.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gregsivers said:
Milton-ness of Mayport? Man thats not what I wanted to hear at all.:icon_tong

So Jax Beach is a good place to live? I hadn't thought at all about St Augustine Brett, but maybe I'll check into it. Thanks for the tips.
Not to worry, Mayport is your standard issue Naval Station town replete with the requisite strip clubs, pawn shops, and tattoo joints. Nobody with any means lives there and JAX beach and beyond offers all kinds of groovy places in which to live and recreate. Generally, the further south you go from Mayport, the nicer the accommodations. JAX is a great town - you'll have a blast.

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Not to worry, Mayport is your standard issue Naval Station town replete with the requisite strip clubs, pawn shops, and tattoo joints. Nobody with any means lives there and JAX beach and beyond offers all kinds of groovy places in which to live and recreate. Generally, the further south you go from Mayport, the nicer the accommodations. JAX is a great town - you'll have a blast.

Brett

That's well said. And in all fairness, it blows away Milton.

It's more like Pensacola. :)

navy05

Are the detailers flexible with giving you geographic preferences due to personal family issues? For example, can a person from Tampa with a very sick family member be stationed in Mayport? Or can a pilot from CA go to San Diego because his spouse is a federal civilian employee for the Navy who can't find aother job opening in thier specialty (for example, a registered dietitian) in another Navy area beside San Diego? How do these cases work put besides luck of the draw?