• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question for helo guys

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
gregsivers said:
This is pretty interesting to read for me, I just put in my selection with HSL as my top choice, hoping I get it. I seem to be the odd duck, everyone else wants HSC, so I think the kool-aid is working here too.
Why did you want HSL and not HSC or HS? Not that you should or shouldn't either way, I'm just curious.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
eddie said:
Why did you want HSL and not HSC or HS? Not that you should or shouldn't either way, I'm just curious.
He's just a glutton for punishment. ;)

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Well put. :) For you selectors, a quick question... If you want to go HS, do you still put HS or HSC? I'm guessing it's still HS, since HSM doesn't really exist yet, other than the RAG and the Wing.

Bevo16

pilot
Gator,

You are killing me with the cut and paste jobs with all the quotes. I just can't keep up with that.

When I was growing up, my best friend Ryan and I would call each other on Christmas morning and compare what loot we got and argue about who got better gifts. We are doing the same thing, except we have have not gotten to see what is in the box yet. It would be a lot more fun to have the discussion over a beer at the I-Bar than over the internet. At least there you could throw popcorn at me for "spreading HS lies".

Rumors are constantly in circulation on exactly what features the Block 3 Sierra is going to have. I am sure it has been the same deal with you guys and the Romeo. At least you have some out on the street now. Our new toys are still in testing.

My bad on the MAD though. I thought that the R had one, and it does not.

There is no doubt that the Romeo is going to be a bigtime upgrade for the LAMPS guys. I did an exercise with a Romeo agaist a diesel sub last week, and the HSM guys could not use the dome. It was something about environmental reasons. Either the frequency or the power of the new dome will fry all the dolphins off of Point Loma. It would have been a hell of a lot easier to keep the track up to date with 2 dippers than it was with one dipper and a bouy platform.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Bevo said:
Gator,

It would be a lot more fun to have the discussion over a beer at the I-Bar than over the internet. At least there you could throw popcorn at me for "spreading HS lies".

Agreed. I had heard about the MAD, but was never sure if that was final. The MAD is a love/hate piece of gear. It can save your bacon on TORPEXs or on a known position of a sub...when it works. Otherwise you never know if it's doing anything. However it is fun to slew the FLIR around and look at the MAD bird and then call VAMPIRE over hawk. That is unless your ASTAC is clueless and then relays it to the rest of combat.

Bevo16

pilot
That thing also makes HS guys a little on edge. When we are flying around a few hundred feet below you looking for the same sub, it's not high on our wish list for you to be pulling a 200 foot cable with a big ass chunk of metal on the end. It would really suck to have a wire strike 5 miles from land in a hover.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
I didn't want HS or HSC because I don't want to do VERTREPs as one of my primary missions. My onwing and several other IPs made HSL sound like fun, and I like the idea of being on a smallboy as opposed to a carrier, although that is likely to change once they become HSM. And this is going to sound bad, but I like the looks of the Romeo better than the Sierra. And I'm not too concerned about flying a new aircraft as some of the other guys in the squadron are.

Gator-
On the selection sheet we could pick from HS, HSL, HSC, HM, and HC. According to a note/flyer in STUCON the HSL FRS in San Diego has already changed to HSM, but we still select HSL, not HSM, on the preference sheet.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
@greg:

Gotcha. Yeah, the name change at the RAG was what I was referring to. The wing has changed its name as well. I'm with you on the small boy vs. the carrier, and for what it's worth, even when HSM is on the carrier, there's still planned to be plenty of opportunity to be on the small boys. Let me know what happens. I'm guessing by your totally heterosexual avatar that you're looking for somewhere specific. ;)

@bevo:

It's funny that you worry about it when the P-3 guys don't seem to care and go zorching underneath you. There always seemed to be disinterest over the radio when I'd call we're streaming the MAD to the VP guys during CORDOPs.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
I think Gator and I joined forces on a discussion of forward firing GAUs some months ago. It briefs well and sounds pretty cool. However, I can tell you from experience,(As can the skid pilots) it takes weekly work on a range to be profficient enough to support anything (safely) more exacting than tearing up a hostile boat with no concern for casualties.(Which is actually better accomplished by a motivated aircrewman and a GAU.) Does anyone think the Navy would resource range time and 7.62 ammo expenditures to qualify and sustain aviators to the extent required for a mission that hasn't really proven likely for Navy helos?

The USMC skid guys probably don't get much time on the range in CONUS, but now they've got enough quality gun time OCONUS to pass down the knowledge.

Bevo16

pilot
gregsivers said:
My onwing and several other IPs made HSL sound like fun, and I like the idea of being on a smallboy as opposed to a carrier, although that is likely to change once they become HSM. And this is going to sound bad, but I like the looks of the Romeo better than the Sierra.

It just goes to show you that the every pilot will tell you that the best Aircraft/Community is one that he is in (myself included).

The way I see it, the carrier is the best place to be. The biggest advantage IMHO is that the carrier exists for flight ops. Everything that goes on above and below that big flat deck is done in support of the air wing. Small decks do not exist for flight ops the way carriers do. Also, the CO of the carrier is a pilot, and that has obvious advantages. I also like having the squadron CO & XO at sea with us. Having that O-5 top cover is a great thing.

We also have a several really good gyms and you can always get a good hot meal in the wardroom.

When it comes to liberty though, the small decks can have an advantage. Pulling into a city and dumping 6,000 horney, thirsty sailors on it at once can be a bit of a drag. Of course, when you go to places like Bahrain, it actually makes it better.

bobbybrock

None
I'm an Army type so I'm not s familar with some of the Navy terms here. What exacly is strike control. If it is what i think it is the Army has H-60 fitted for that mission. But then again it might be something totally different.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
bobbybrock said:
I'm an Army type so I'm not s familar with some of the Navy terms here. What exacly is strike control. If it is what i think it is the Army has H-60 fitted for that mission. But then again it might be something totally different.

It can mean a bunch of different things, but for what I was talking about, basically it's when one asset takes control of another and feeds him info for the target. It's not CAS, but usually entails a 9-line. A couple of examples are when a helo controls a section of Cobras and takes them into the target for aquisition and a kill order (used to be called T-Bone, but is now just part of the 9-line/strike deal). Another is directing a fast-mover in to a target and possibly buddy lasing for him. As for supporting the Army, it's usually practiced w/ Apaches in the Pacific. I'll leave it at that.

bobbybrock

None
Yea, seems like something maybe better suited for you guys. We actually have new 60's with a pretty sweet command and control suite in the back. Pretty much made for an 0-6 or 0-5 to control his battle. Aside from that they can't be used for much except checking you e-mail when you are stuck somewhere in the sandbox. We didn't use them much while in the desert.

BRM21o

Gregsivers,

For selections, what do most people want? Is there generally an even spread of platforms? Do most people get their #1? Thanks!