• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about Tiers / Chances of getting NROTC Scholarship

SetSail

not many people get jobs in the field they majored in...at my school ~85% of engineers went on to hold non-engineering jobs (lots of consultants). Very few engineers overall go on to be design engineers.

IE is applicable on so many levels, I don't understand how your "friend" could say there aren't many positions available. If your looking for something specifically related to IE, there is anything from quality control to finance positions. If you want to look at things unrelated to to IE there are tons of opportunities.

I might be wrong on this, but I think during this recession demand for engineers did not go down (although I think that is a cumulative stat).

The opinion came from a ME major and they thought the demand for IE might be in places like the auto industry, which seems to be going down the sewer these days.

Daisy

@darkchariot

Sitting in front of me on my desk is a letter dated in 2009 from NSTC offering a student with stats like yours a tier 3 scholarship.

FYI - the valediction and salutatorian at our high school have academic profiles like yours - NMF, GPA over 4.0, SATs over 1500/1600 -class size about 450. The Val was waitlisted and then denied at Duke, the Sal was accepted at Cornell but is not going there - both are going to an honors program at an in-state public.

Only one non-URM student got accepted to Duke with a slightly lower GPA but comparable SATs, NMF - also has an ROTC scholarship.

Anecdotal yes - but accurate and current and valuable at least for comparison. Apply to all of your colleges anyway but make sure you really like your safeties and matches. The average number of college applications at our public high school was around 10 for students like you.

It's great that your SAT 2s are strong - elite colleges are weighing those scores more heavily now.

Good luck!

darkchariot

I just wanted to thank you guys for all of your help!
I had my interview yesterday and I think that it went well (though the interviewer was very indifferent and I could never engage him).
I'll post my result in a month or so :)

(does anyone know exactly when I should expect them? The application deadline was Aug 21st and my recruiter wants everything submitted by Aug 28th)

darkchariot

I finally got it! =D
4 year scholarship to UC-Berkeley unit (Stanford)

I hear back from Stanford in 16 days, hopefully everything goes well.

Once again thank you guys for your advice!

Will_T

Will_T
Congrats!
Im still waiting on my, but it seems like youll be AJ Squared-Away in a few days.
Best of luck with stanford,
Will.

navybronxbomber

First, I've been reading these forums for the last ~5 months and I want to thank all of you for the amazing insight that you've provided to me!

Second, I was reading the Tiers list tonight, and I noticed that the last major on the Tier 2 list is "Quantitative Economics." I'd really like to double major in International Relations/Econ; would a standard economics major be considered "quantitative economics?" because I've yet to encounter a school that has a specific degree in Quantitative Economics.

Obviously, I'd rather not be classified as a Tier 3 major, but I don't want to lie or misrepresent myself.

Third, I've tried searching everywhere for info on how many spots each school gets, but I don't think that navy publishes ANY data on its NROTC policies (admit rates, avg scores, etc.), SO I don't really know how to gauge where I stand/what my chances are so, I'd really like to know your opinion of my application. I apologize for that obnoxious run-on sentence.:eek:

My 5 schools:
1) Stanford
2) Duke
3) UVA (I have to put a public in the top 3, and this is my top public, but its 6th on my list, is there any way to avoid having to do this? I figure that UVA is competitive enough that if I put it third I won't get placed there, but I don't know what to do :()
4) Harvard
5) Georgetown or UPenn

Don't be such a nerd.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I majored in history and econ and got a BA. Some schools (USNA, for one) offers a specific degree in quantitative econ, but others don't. At Vandy, I know, you could get a BS in econ (though I don't know anyone who did, just knew the option was available) if your course load was such that you focused on the mathematical side of econ rather than the theories/philosophies of it. Just my guess (though I suggest confirming this with a recruiter) that the Navy will probably only accept you as tier 2 if you go to a school which has a specific program for quantitative econ.

I remember reading, however, that some of the schools on your list (G-town I remember as one) might have exemptions to the tier system because they have such strong programs in other areas of interest to the Navy. Also something to check out.

Good luck from a fellow non-engineering major who is doing just fine in the military despite being retarded at physics!

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
non-tech majors unite! i was originally a chem major, but was able to switch to poli sci without losing my scholarship, go figure...definitely make sure you clear it with the navy/your unit before you even think about switching