• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about Tiers / Chances of getting NROTC Scholarship

torpedo0126

also I would like to add, if possible, go to a school with NROTC unit located on campus. I am sure some people will disagree, but at my school it frustrated a lot of people (not tremendously though) to have to make treks back and forth often...especially during freshman year when there is a lot to learn.

darkchariot

@ Pistol, yeah that's what I've been trying to do. I talked with LT at USC and he gave me a lot of insight into the process. I'm going to visit more colleges over the summer and I will definitely follow your advice!

@Redmidgrl, another IR major =D, GWU is definitely on my list (I'm going to visit it this summer when I visit Georgetown) since it has such a great location and IR program. I'm hoping that I can finagle my econ degree into tier 2, but I completely agree with you, I will not study what I don't like. When I heard about the new 85% policy I was like ??? since in one of their retention surveys the longest serving degree-type was history XD What region did you concentrate in? or did they break it down into IR-history/econ/poli sci? and you picked one? or something else?

@ Torpedo, ok that's good to know :)
yeah I would REALLY like to go to a unit on campus, which is the biggest drawback to stanford since I have to drive an hour to get to berkeley and I probably won't have a car XD, whereas Duke's program is on campus :)

thank you guys

redmidgrl

livin' the dream
Contributor
@Redmidgrl, another IR major =D, GWU is definitely on my list (I'm going to visit it this summer when I visit Georgetown) since it has such a great location and IR program. I'm hoping that I can finagle my econ degree into tier 2, but I completely agree with you, I will not study what I don't like. When I heard about the new 85% policy I was like ??? since in one of their retention surveys the longest serving degree-type was history XD What region did you concentrate in? or did they break it down into IR-history/econ/poli sci? and you picked one? or something else?

GW/Georgetown are in the best location for that degree. I had the privilege of having three different internships at the Pentagon, and then two more at different DC Think Tanks. They kept me busy on top of ROTC, but I met a lot of important important people and did my best to make a good impression.

As for my major at GW, the Elliott School of International Affairs breaks its concentrations down into regional and functional concentrations. I chose the functional concentration of International Politics because I couldn't decide on a specific region to focus on, and I really like US Diplomatic History and US Foreign Policy. I was also a Model UN geek.

Excited Mid

Hey man whats going on...i just went through the process so let me tell you what i know. My stats were not as impressive as yours, but they were pretty good, and i was offered something caled an instant scholarship someting...im not sre about the famous military letter system. Anyways what is was was a scholarship to any of my five schools should i accept the scholarship.

With your stats i would have little doubt you would get accepted with a tier three major as well, just based off of what i was told. I was told i would probably get accepted with a tier three..and my stats are 2100 and a 92 out of 100 gpa...my gopa is screwy through because i go to one of the best private schools in my state.

Good luck man though i doubt you will need it and i hope this helps you out a bit

As for your major, i was told directly by multiple recruiters that there is little to no difference between tier 1 and tier 2 major selections. You are not at any disadvantage as a tier 2 major. I am a tier two major.

SetSail

I heard there is very little chance of getting a Tier 3 scholarship. Is there anyone out there who was granted a Tier 3 or were granted a change from Tiers 1/2 to Tier 3? I know several 1/c and 2/c mids who have Tier 3 majors, but they were the lucky ones before the big push for technicals.

Pistol719

Will Over Skill
pilot
Contributor
I am a tier 3 major (Poly Sci) But I think my circumstances might be slightly different given the fact that I was a 2year app and I have some technical/military qualifications. Never say never though :D

torpedo0126

I heard there is very little chance of getting a Tier 3 scholarship. Is there anyone out there who was granted a Tier 3 or were granted a change from Tiers 1/2 to Tier 3? I know several 1/c and 2/c mids who have Tier 3 majors, but they were the lucky ones before the big push for technicals.

I am fairly sure this is correct. My friend, while we were in API, had a stash job over at NETC. He assisted in 'pre-screening' the 4 yr. scholarship applications...he said most tier threes (unless the total package was competitive) were not even considered until they had gone through all the technical majors.

Pistol719

Will Over Skill
pilot
Contributor
Yeah I totally agree that it is probably crazy hard, I am still in sort of disbelief myself. But it's always possible.

Excited Mid

how about people switching to tier three majors while enrolled in the 4 year scholarship program? I really really want to study polysci, but i'm being forced to do a science, which i am not too happy about

torpedo0126

how about people switching to tier three majors while enrolled in the 4 year scholarship program? I really really want to study polysci, but i'm being forced to do a science, which i am not too happy about

don't know. i'm speculating though that if they are pre-screening people based on their intended majors, i imagine they aren't just going to let everyone switch.

I believe the NROTC website also says there is a significant chance you could lose scholarship benefits by switching to a tier 3.

in my opinion, a science major will benefit you more in the end, as much as it may suck at the moment. There are a lot of opportunities open to technical majors that you probably aren't even aware of.

you can always minor in poli sci.

SetSail

ExcitedMid - What sciences are you choosing instead of PolySci? I'm not too crazy about sciences either.

Hey torpedo - What kinda opportunities are you referring to? We want to hear what will make it worthwhile.

Excited Mid

set sail- i can't even decide..before this year i had a huge interest in biology, however, after taking a rather extensive bio class this year and having a sibling just finish a bio major who told me to major in anything aside from bio, i really have no clue. its a very tough decision, having to pick something that i need to study for the next four years of my life even though nothing listed interests me. i really don't know what to do

torpedo0126

ExcitedMid - What sciences are you choosing instead of PolySci? I'm not too crazy about sciences either.

Hey torpedo - What kinda opportunities are you referring to? We want to hear what will make it worthwhile.

I can't give you an extensive list, but one thing that has come up before is eligibility for TPS (at least an initial eligibility).

torpedo0126

I'm lukewarm about bio and marine science. What are your thoughts on engineering?

if your talking to me, i recommend engineering.

if your terribly intimidated by it, you can do industrial engineering (an efficiency engineer--the guys you DON'T want coming to your workplace) which is a bit more challenging that getting an econ degree.

but again, don't do something you will absolutely hate.