• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about Tiers / Chances of getting NROTC Scholarship

torpedo0126

if your talking about industrial engineering, once you get the basic engineering requirements out of the way, IE is statistical analysis, not that hard compared to what you could be doing in engineering.

btw, the national average for engineers is ~2.9 GPA. You probably won't get all A's.

When I took calc I received: differential C, integral B, multivariable diff A-, and multivariable integral B+ (my school was on trimester, so the whole calc sequence was four quarters).

MasterBates

I had a 72 in Pre-Calc, 74 in Calc-1, withdrawn from Calc-2, Calc-2 78, Calc-3 81, Diffy-Q got a W then a 79.

I rocked straight 95-100s in Engineering classes. (that's 4.0 for my school)

torpedo0126

Were there mids that were technical majors because they had to, how successful were they?

the tier system was being talked about when I went through. everyone who was an engineer wanted to be one.

listen, your going to be able to do it. i have had VERY low self-confidence in my abilities, yet i;ve slowly plugged away.

if your really nervous, take an engineering class as an elective. you will see its not that bad. maybe you wont get an A+, but you will succeed.

in my opinion you have to actually try to fail in college. if you put in a reasonable amount of time you will easily walk away with a C+ to B+.

If you do absolutely nothing then yes you are going to have problems.

SetSail

torpedo - thanks for the pep talk. Actually, I flunked my first semester of college calculus, have repeated it and will probably get a C this current semester. I wasn't involved in robotics in high school, and got Bs in my high school calculus and physics classes. I don't know if that's an indicator of my abilities or otherwise.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I had a 72 in Pre-Calc, 74 in Calc-1, withdrawn from Calc-2, Calc-2 78, Calc-3 81, Diffy-Q got a W then a 79.

I rocked straight 95-100s in Engineering classes. (that's 4.0 for my school)

Your classes must have been taught by this guy

0.jpg

darkchariot

lol now I'm afraid of what will happen if my quant econ falls through XD

When does the first board meet? (is it August or September?)
and if you receive a scholarship after the 1st board, when would you find out?

cclement

None
I just graduated from Tulane, and most of the staff talk about next years class a lot. Our CO said that since our scholarships had been cut to 15 per year (because of tuition and Tulane cutting most of the engineering majors), they will generally only be given to engineers and science majors.

Also, I was an Econ major, but I applied back in the day when they weren't hurting for engineers. My guess at quantitative econ it would NOT be a BS. I have a BS, but I was still considered tier 3 for service selection (senior year we request aviation/SWO/sub). We have a "Mathematical Economics" major at Tulane. It's about 7 math classes and 7 econ classes. That may count as quantitative economics, but after that much math you should just get the double degree in math and econ since each only require 10 classes (and two can overlap I believe).

torpedo0126

torpedo - thanks for the pep talk. Actually, I flunked my first semester of college calculus, have repeated it and will probably get a C this current semester. I wasn't involved in robotics in high school, and got Bs in my high school calculus and physics classes. I don't know if that's an indicator of my abilities or otherwise.

if you passed your high school calc classes, I don't think its really that you don't have the ability at all.

you just haven't made the high school => college transition. For me at least, I could show up in high school, pay half attention in class, not study at all, and get an A.

In college, lectures did shit. All of my learning came from sitting down with the book, reading the example problems, and then doing the homework. If I had any burning questions I would usually go see the TA or the prof in office hours.

I'm willing to bet that you probably just didn't put in the study time required. I did the same thing my first quarter in college (trimester). Once I found my groove, things in college became easy to pass...it wasn't necessarily an easy time, but I was never in danger of failing a class.

SetSail

torpedo - I see that now. Study groups also helped this semester.

I'm still uneasy about the technical major choices. I've heard horror stories about first year chemistry, how they use that to weed out pre-med students. I hate the thought of taking 2 years of chemistry as a science major. I think some engineering programs also require 2 years chemistry too.

darkchariot

@ torpedo, yes that's what I meant by "if it falls through." If I can't get the tier 2 major, getting a tier 3 sounds practically impossible XD

JTB7

Have you applied/trying to apply to USNA? You will get in no doubt if you really have the credentials you say you do. Then you can get a "scholarship" to do any major you want.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
Have you applied/trying to apply to USNA? You will get in no doubt if you really have the credentials you say you do. Then you can get a "scholarship" to do any major you want.

Well, I would normally disagree with you, but I guess with the new tiering system it's partially accurate. In the grand scheme of things, compared to a moderate size state school, USNA is fairly limited in choice of study. There are a lot of majors that aren't offered at the Academy, and for a lot of people, NROTC is much better in accommodating certain students academic favorites. But, if anymore you're not allowed to take it anywhere, I guess that's the way it's going to be. Luckily, for the Navy, everyone wants to go to Annapolis and be an engineer...