• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about Cobras...

Fetter

If NFOs are only in F/A-18s and EA-6Bs, who is manning the front seat in the AH-1 Cobras?

Can't find the answer anywhere...

Fetter

Oh snap! So not only do you have to be on your toes to get selected for cobras, you gotta be even better to beat the other guy out of the "pilot" seat. That is rough.

Or are there dual controls and they switch off when the other gets hungry and wants a snack?

Flugelman

Contributor
Cobra Tales

Story from a guy I used to work with... He was a Vietnam era Army Cobra pilot. On one mission he's in the front seat, loses his hard cigarette pack holder which winds up binding the rearward movement of the front seat cyclic. They had to do a run-on landing due to loss of control authority.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Oh snap! So not only do you have to be on your toes to get selected for cobras, you gotta be even better to beat the other guy out of the "pilot" seat. That is rough.

Or are there dual controls and they switch off when the other gets hungry and wants a snack?
No, once you are a Cobra pilot you learn how to fly in both seats.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Just like any other 2 seat platform, one guy is the aircraft commander, the other is the copilot. The more experienced guy is usually the aircraft commander. Seat assignment will vary with the training being conducted, but usually the copilot is in front.

gtxc2001

See what the monkey eats, then eat the monkey
pilot
Contributor
Both pilots can log first pilot and second pilot time based on how the flight was split up. If you are in the front, but on the controls, you'll log first pilot for the amount of time you were manipulating the controls. I think I've only been on two flights where I didn't log any first pilot time, a functional check flight and a front seat tactics flight. As far as logging time as the aircraft commander, only the signer for the aircraft gets that in his logbook.

Fetter

Ah1w-3.jpg

"It's like if the ice cream man served death instead of ice cream."
thanks for the chuckle MMX1

What are those things on top of the wings while we're talking about the aircraft? Flare pod? IR jammer? That is my guess.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Rockets, the Gun, Hellfire and Sidewinder can all be fired from the back. TOW and the laser are front seat only.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Both pilots can log first pilot and second pilot time based on how the flight was split up. If you are in the front, but on the controls, you'll log first pilot for the amount of time you were manipulating the controls. I think I've only been on two flights where I didn't log any first pilot time, a functional check flight and a front seat tactics flight. As far as logging time as the aircraft commander, only the signer for the aircraft gets that in his logbook.

Don't know how it's done in the HMLAs, but most (non-anal) fleet guys I flew with just split the FPT w/ the copilot rather than trying to figure out who did what. The only real time that was not doable was taking several guys to the boat to bounce and you had to keep track of times for the inevitable NALCOMIS pen-in-eye experience when you got back trying to make all the times add up.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
What difference does it make? First and second pilot time aren't tracked by anybody but us are they? As a RAG IP (the only time this ever mattered for me) I would just have my student give me a .2 or so. Whatever. Do airlines or the FAA care?