• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about Cobras...

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
as an example, here's what Southwest says about PIC time ...

Flight Experience:
2,500 hours total or 1,500 hours turbine total. Additionally, a minimum of 1,000 hours in Turbine aircraft as the Pilot in command3, as defined below is required. Southwest considers only Pilot time in fixed wing aircraft. This specifically excludes simulator, helicopter, WSO, RIO, FE, NAV, EWO etc. NO other time is counted.

Southwest Airlines defines "Pilot in Command" for the purposes of application for employment as the Pilot ultimately responsible for the operation and safety of the aircraft during flight. The Pilot in Command should also be the Pilot who signed for the aircraft and who is the ultimate authority for the operation of that flight. For military personnel, Southwest Airlines will allow flight time logged as "Pilot In Command" (PIC) only if you are the Captain/Aircraft Commander, Evaluator, or Instructor Pilot. Primary time will only be considered PIC on a specific aircraft after an individual upgrades to Aircraft Commander in the appropriate aircraft. Time logged, as "Other Time" will not be considered.

reference

I realize that this is the way it is but it chaps my ass to no end. Of all the above listed activities the helo pilot is the only one actually flying, it is not all that different. A PIC of a cargo or patrol plane can get hours and hours of PIC time when they are not even in the cockpit at the time, I realize that they are ultimately responsible for the aircraft but I dont understand the anti helo bias. Not all arilines fall into this thought process but oh well.

To answer the previous question on FCFs, the Cobra is per OPNAV single piloted so most squadrons groups have SOPs that state only the FCP will be at the controls. I have flown entire missions from the front where the only time I took the controls is to land in a FARP. The industry standard is to split the flight time with the AHC getting the high end of an unbalanced split.

JTB7

Does everyone want cobras going into flight school? I am not asking what % get cobras, but is there generally a good amount of slots for cobra pilots in flight training? Also, when do you choose or get assigned to what aircraft you fly?

reapergm

Well, most of the people I knew went in wanting Jets. After a few weeks at primary that changed for a lot of people. Some wanted the helo mission(low, slow, assault or strike, close to grunts.. etc.), some got airsick and didn't want to deal with feeling like crap all the time, and yes, some wanted Cobras from the start.
You choose what type of airframe you want out of primary. Thats either Jet, Helo, C-130 or MV-22 Osprey. That has to do with grades and availability. Jets you need a certain NSS, Osprey's you cant have an excessive amount of downs (failed flights or briefs). Sometimes you might be a rockstar, have a high NSS, but no jets. I've also seen people who wanted helo's bad, but got jets. Needs of the Corps, grades, and luck is what it comes down to.
In Helo advanced you put a dream sheet. You rank what helicopter you want to fly (AH-1W, UH-1N, CH-46 or CH-53), then you put a coast you want. Then you choose whats more important, coast or airframe. Then the luck, grades and needs of the Corps comes back into play. In my winging class, 3 wanted Cobras, there were 2 slots. A couple of months back, there was a big Cobra draft and people got them, even one who I know was his 8th choice.
Do your best, study hard. You'll figure out in advanced what you want to fly. I know a lot of people who were gung ho Cobras at the start changed their minds mid way through advanced. And except for a few, most of the people I know love what they fly.