• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about Cobras...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
What difference does it make? First and second pilot time aren't tracked by anybody but us are they? As a RAG IP (the only time this ever mattered for me) I would just have my student give me a .2 or so. Whatever. Do airlines or the FAA care?

From what I've read here, if you're not AC, but you have FPT logged, you can count it in your favor for the airlines. I, personally, don't care, hence why I just split it down the middle in the fleet. In the TRACOM it's a little different, but otherwise I'm w/ you.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Ah1w-3.jpg

"It's like if the ice cream man served death instead of ice cream."
thanks for the chuckle MMX1

What are those things on top of the wings while we're talking about the aircraft? Flare pod? IR jammer? That is my guess.

Eh? I said something?

HueyCobra8151

pilot
How accurate is the helmet control on the 20mm? Can you "eyeball" targets, or do you just put the x-hairs in the general location w/ the helmet track and manually fine tune it in?

Edit: That is kind of a random question...

Carno

Insane
What difference does it make? First and second pilot time aren't tracked by anybody but us are they? As a RAG IP (the only time this ever mattered for me) I would just have my student give me a .2 or so. Whatever. Do airlines or the FAA care?

Do certain jobs require a certain amount of PIC time? Do FAA ratings? Why does the military keep track of it?

Also, on a semi related note, how are pilots assigned flights? Do you always fly with the same guy, or is it just random who you'll fly with? How does it work for crew chiefs? Do helo guys always fly with the same crew, or are they different?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Do certain jobs require a certain amount of PIC time? Do FAA ratings?

Why does the military keep track of it?

The short answer is yes. There's many different reasons to keep track of it, most of it hinges on quals and overall experience.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
For the airlines, if you are the aircraft commander, it's PIC. Anything else is SIC. Except special crew - it's nothing (unless you are also the aircraft commander).

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, I thought you created the marinegouge website where the pic came from and the caption.

That site's some other dude's creation. It's just hosting the ASTB gouge I wrote a long, long time ago.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
For the airlines, if you are the aircraft commander, it's PIC. Anything else is SIC. Except special crew - it's nothing (unless you are also the aircraft commander).

Phrog73 posted some time back about coming up w/ hours for the helo time and he sited references about how you can use the FPT when not AC to help you out, since you were at the controls. Not getting a hit on the search right now, but that's what I was basing my post off of.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Phrog73 posted some time back about coming up w/ hours for the helo time and he sited references about how you can use the FPT when not AC to help you out, since you were at the controls. Not getting a hit on the search right now, but that's what I was basing my post off of.
It's the part 61 PIC versus part 1 PIC discussion. FAA, most insurance companies and corporate operators look at part 61 PIC as okay. Airlines only want to see part 1 PIC.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Do certain jobs require a certain amount of PIC time? Do FAA ratings? Why does the military keep track of it?
as an example, here's what Southwest says about PIC time ...

Flight Experience:
2,500 hours total or 1,500 hours turbine total. Additionally, a minimum of 1,000 hours in Turbine aircraft as the Pilot in command3, as defined below is required. Southwest considers only Pilot time in fixed wing aircraft. This specifically excludes simulator, helicopter, WSO, RIO, FE, NAV, EWO etc. NO other time is counted.

Southwest Airlines defines "Pilot in Command" for the purposes of application for employment as the Pilot ultimately responsible for the operation and safety of the aircraft during flight. The Pilot in Command should also be the Pilot who signed for the aircraft and who is the ultimate authority for the operation of that flight. For military personnel, Southwest Airlines will allow flight time logged as "Pilot In Command" (PIC) only if you are the Captain/Aircraft Commander, Evaluator, or Instructor Pilot. Primary time will only be considered PIC on a specific aircraft after an individual upgrades to Aircraft Commander in the appropriate aircraft. Time logged, as "Other Time" will not be considered.

reference

reapergm

Who cares about the time? Most people I know don't even think about the airlines... most think its not for them (myself included). Its fun being in either cockpit flying. Front seat is fun doing the weapons. When you fly the front, your right forearm starts getting tired as hell from the cyclic, but the view is awesome. The back seat is easier to fly (depending on who you ask), but you can't fire the TOW.

MasterBates

In my old community, most did not think of airlines, not because they would not want to do it, but unless they did a VT IP tour, they would have NO chance in hell at making mins, and then they still had just whatever ME time got them their ME rating.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Who cares about the time? Most people I know don't even think about the airlines... most think its not for them (myself included). Its fun being in either cockpit flying. Front seat is fun doing the weapons. When you fly the front, your right forearm starts getting tired as hell from the cyclic, but the view is awesome. The back seat is easier to fly (depending on who you ask), but you can't fire the TOW.

From your profile, it looks like you're still a first tour guy. If I'm wrong, so be it. But keep in mind, things/opinions change over time. There's guys (even Cobra guys) that probably never thought they'd be wearing a Navy uniform, but are now flying for the airlines and a LCDR in the Navy reserve. Sh!t happens.