• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about Army flight training, re: aircraft selection

rrb82

Hi, I'd like to apologize in advance if I'm using this forum incorrectly. I don't use these boards a lot and am unfamiliar with how things work. I am a civilian pilot (fixed-wing) and just finishing up my Master's degree. I would like to apply to WOFT. I've been speaking with a recruiter, and he seems to think I have a great shot at getting in because of my experience, education, and prior service. My question is two-part: 1) What are the Army's current procedures of assigning aircraft to flight students? I've heard that students take a test, which then matches his/her personality and aptitude to a specific aircraft, but I've also heard that it is strictly by "Order of Merit." And 2) Could I be forced into Apaches if I don't want them? The reason I ask is because although I love both the military and flying, I don't know that I have an "aggressive" enough personality to fly Apaches, and the focus for this airframe seems to be just as much on weapons as on aviation. I'd really like to fly UH60s or CH47s. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
For active duty, it is strictly order of merit. For national guard, you will fly one of the airframes your unit has, period. Can you be forced to fly Apaches? Not if you finish at the top of your class. If you finish at the bottom, you will get what ever is left. Yes, it could be Apaches. It could be H60s. It could be 58s.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hi I don't know that I have an "aggressive" enough personality to fly Apaches, and the focus for this airframe seems to be just as much on weapons as on aviation. I'd really like to fly UH60s or CH47s.

With all due respect:
1. "...not aggressive enough personality...", a very nebulous term. Could be anything from conscientious objector, to super concern over personal safety. In general, all military pilots are expected to be very (but not ultra) aggressive!
You dohave an input... but yes, they could assign you to Apaches, or anything else. If you'd be uncomfortable killing the enemy & blowing up their things, then I'd stick with GA.

2. No one can promise you what type aircraft you will/won't fly when you enter the Service. That will depend on your flight grades and needs of the Service at that time.:)
BzB

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I wouldn't say that anyone would get the impression after meeting me that I'm aggressive, or intimidating......still ended up in VFA though. If I had to put money on it, I would bet that there are just as many "aggressive personalities" flying helos, P-3's, E-6's, and various other non-TACAIR platforms, as there are flying pure attack/strike/fighter aircraft. Just to add to BZB's comment.

Renegade One

None
...Apaches, ... the focus for this airframe seems to be just as much on weapons as on aviation. I'd really like to fly UH60s or CH47s. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.
I never know how quite to respond to posts like this. This time, I thought I'd try to get some data. Let's see if this approach works:
Since 2005, the Army has lost 34 rotary wing aircraft to combat. The number includes 10 AH-64D Apaches; 10 UH-60 Blackhawks; six CH-47 Chinooks and 8 OH-58D Kiowa Warriors.
Sounds like "the risks" are about equal, whatever you might fly, and I'm not sure any one airframe requires anything more in the way of "aggressiveness" than another.
Are you aggressive enough to deliver combat troops into a "hot LZ" in downtown Mogadishu? (Pop-culture reference: "Blackhawk Down") Are you aggressive enough to support those same troops throughout the next 48 hours or so by repeatedly flying into that same LZ, kicking ammo and water out the door, and then hauling in the wounded and the KIAs and getting them out? (Pop-culture reference #2: "We Were Soldiers")
I think that every platform you may fly can properly be characterized as "more about doing the mission than focused on aviation"...if that makes any sense.
I don't quite know what else to add...Rob, above, answered your more specific question, and he knows what of he speaks.

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
Maybe we could help him out if we could get to the bottom of "What percentage get Apaches?"

rrb82

Thanks, everyone. I really appreciate the input. I guess my post about "aggressiveness" was a bit vague. I didn't mean to say that I don't understand that the mission itself is top priority. And I didn't mean to suggest that I'm not wanting to fly in combat or that I'm concerned about the "risks" of one aircraft over the other. I do want to be a military pilot; that's why I'm looking into the program. I have no issues with flying into "hot zones" and employing weapons when it is necessary. I only meant that I've never had a special interest in missiles, bombs, etc. And I feel like if you're going to be employing rockets, missiles, bombs, etc, then you should probably be the sort of person that gets excited about that kind of stuff, and for me, the excitement's just not there. I would look forward more to pulling troops out of hot zones, transporting a special ops team, and providing other kinds of support. Maybe I'm just unaware of the Apache's other capabilities? I just figured the Blackhawk guys get all of the rescue/medical-oriented stuff because the chopper has the space for it. Thanks again for your replies guys!

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I mean, you clearly understand the risks associated and how their process works. Either you accept it and kick ass or you don't. And FWIW, the few Army guys I've spoken to wanted the 60/47 largely for the greater duty station options.

BlkPny

pilot
" I've never had a special interest in missiles, bombs, etc. And I feel like if you're going to be employing rockets, missiles, bombs, etc, then you should probably be the sort of person that gets excited about that kind of stuff, and for me, the excitement's just not there."

If enough people shoot at you, you'll get REAL excited about those things. Also, its been my experience that the bad guys tend to shoot at a/c that shoot back less than those that don't shoot back. I sure saw a lot of those young Army dustoff pilots flying Hueys slick get shot down. Not so many of us, or Huey gunships or Cobras.

KiowaDriver

Now a Hooker....
None
point taken. don't blackhawks have some armament mounted on them though, for self defense?

Yes they have door gunners.

When it comes to aircraft, dont fret. I know countless people that wanted one type and when they actually started flying they changed their mind.

As for wanting to fly close to the enemy and fucking kill them, well, thats up to you.

I chose 58s. We pretty much own up close and personal.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I dunno, man... That kinda sounds like someone saying, "I want to become a firefighter, but I'm not real interested in big red trucks."

phrogpilot73

I dunno, man... That kinda sounds like someone saying, "I want to become a firefighter, but I'm not real interested in big red trucks."
Nah, I think I understand where he's coming from. From the moment I decided I wanted helos, I knew I wanted assault support (46/53). Had no interest in CAS, but the thought of being on the hook to insert/extract/resupply/casevac Marines on deck quickened my pulse. I'd guess that's what he's saying...

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Nah, I think I understand where he's coming from. From the moment I decided I wanted helos, I knew I wanted assault support (46/53). Had no interest in CAS, but the thought of being on the hook to insert/extract/resupply/casevac Marines on deck quickened my pulse. I'd guess that's what he's saying...

It makes perfect sense. (Although some things come across as sounding strange when you first read them online.)

Some kids dream about driving the firetruck, other kids want to hold the hose, other kids want to climb the ladder and go into the building...

Most important- lots of grownups end up really digging something that might not be exactly what they dreamed about as a kid.