• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Quarantine Activities

Pags

N/A
pilot
You could bury a lot of bodies in that plot. Nice.

I've gone on a music listening kick. Working my way randomly through the Rolling Stone Top 500 Albums Ever list. They're all on Youtube, pretty much.

I've met my Mt Everest challenge in listening to "Captain Beefheart- Trout Mask Replica (1969)" which ranks 60# on the list of 500. It seems like the right music for a pandemic. From wikipedia...

I can totally get behind this. Been listening while writing emails. Seems to work...but I like working with background noise. Not surprised to see that he is cited as a major influence for music I'm familiar with.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I wish I had cool quarantine activities to tell the wardroom, but I don't really.
  • essential personnel shtuff, 33% in the office and the rest is telework and mindless conf calls
  • loss of childcare + two kids still in diapers + job + working spouse = stress @ home
  • ordered a parenting book that Amazon apparently feels is nonessential; hasn't arrived yet
  • ordered hair clippers that haven't arrived yet; I'm way out of regs
  • lots of hikes and neighborhood bike rides with the dog and kiddos; dog not so good on the bike
  • picking up windstorm-downed limbs and sticks for the firepit
  • fixed some random shtuff around the house/yard that the Mrs was nagging me about
  • fixed some random shtuff around the house that the Mrs wasn't nagging me about but was probably more critical to the structure
  • teledrill weekend (T-DWE), and another upcoming
  • only 5 more business days until daycare reopens, inshallah
  • will be job searching soon for a new job with >75% telework; hopefully we will have successfully trained corporations to tolerate telework more, but what can I say some people are stubborn as sh*t even when the solution hits them in the face
Suggestions appreciated for:
  • any good red wines available by mail order or VA-DC area delivery
  • ditto, any good whiskeys
  • how to install and correctly wire a replacement flood light (exterior)
  • mountain biking trails in VA-DC area
  • refilling the ole give-a-f*ck tank

Last edited:

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
I wish I had cool quarantine activities to tell the wardroom, but I don't really.
  • essential personnel shtuff, 33% in the office and the rest is telework and mindless conf calls
  • loss of childcare + two kids still in diapers + job + working spouse = stress @ home
  • ordered a parenting book that Amazon apparently feels is nonessential; hasn't arrived yet
  • ordered hair clippers that haven't arrived yet; I'm way out of regs
  • lots of hikes and neighborhood bike rides with the dog and kiddos; dog not so good on the bike
  • picking up windstorm-downed limbs and sticks for the firepit
  • fixed some random shtuff around the house/yard that the Mrs was nagging me about
  • fixed some random shtuff around the house that the Mrs wasn't nagging me about but was probably more critical to the structure
  • teledrill weekend (T-DWE), and another upcoming
  • only 5 more business days until daycare reopens, inshallah
  • will be job searching soon for a new job with >75% telework; hopefully we will have successfully trained corporations to tolerate telework more, but what can I say some people are stubborn as sh*t even when the solution hits them in the face
Suggestions appreciated for:
  • any good red wines available by mail order or VA-DC area delivery
  • ditto, any good whiskeys
  • how to install and correctly wire a replacement flood light (exterior)
  • mountain biking trails in VA-DC area
  • refilling the ole give-a-f*ck tank

Mountain Biking
Fountainhead in VA.
There are also trails on Quantico (they host MTB races there, but not sure they are open to public/DoD the rest of the year)
Ft. Belvoir also has trails, but not specifically for biking
C&O Canal tow path, in NoVA

Road/Trail
There is a bike/running path from Old Alexandria to Ft Belvoir, takes you along the Potomac and GW's old crib

ABMD

Mountain Biking
Fountainhead in VA.
There are also trails on Quantico (they host MTB races there, but not sure they are open to public/DoD the rest of the year)
Ft. Belvoir also has trails, but not specifically for biking
C&O Canal tow path, in NoVA

Road/Trail
There is a bike/running path from Old Alexandria to Ft Belvoir, takes you along the Potomac and GW's old crib

If you want some of the best trails in the Mid-Atlantic, head further north to Patapsco State Park in MD. Between DC and Baltimore right off 95. If you have a Garmin GPS I'd download a trail map because you can get lost.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Aware of this website?
Right on. Thanks brother.
spend hours of pleasure figuring out where to ride across the country.
My cousin - who has much more free time than I do - rode his bicycle solo from the Mexico-US border to the Canada-US border (IVO Mountain Time Zone of Longitude) last summer. Took him about a month.

Birdbrain

pilot
So far, very productive. Far more than normal anyway.
  • Getting healthier by reading about proper nutrition
  • Learning to cook and grill
  • Planting cooking herbs
  • Cleaning up my car which has been riddled with bug guts and mud since Christmas
  • Shooting at the range
  • Reading more books for fun again like Flyboys
  • Investing and taking care of finances
  • Playing sports with friends and doing calisthenics in my apartment
  • Studying and chairflying for Advanced for when I class up
  • Improving my apartment with little projects like hanging pictures I've had sitting in my closet for a year
  • Getting in regular contact with family and old friends
  • Netflix
  • Re-learning guitar
And last but not least...
  • DUTY

Notanaviator

Contributor
any good red wines available by mail order or VA-DC area delivery

It’s a plug, not quite a shameless one, but a friend of mine from college lucked into THE sweetest nepotism deal in the world, near as I can tell. His dad has a small wine importer, almost exclusively French wines. His job is to be close friends with a couple dozen very small wine producers and to visit them for a couple weeks a year, and drink their product. There are worse deals out there.

THAT SAID, and back to the question, I’ve ordered cases from him in the past, with good results. Things I like: budget can be accommodated well, descriptions of wine are good and helped me dial in on what I like, lots of package deals, discounts, etc. I’ve never been a big French wine guy, but have liked almost everything I’ve gotten from them.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm late to this party, but it sounds an awful lot like you're growing something else...
Hard to get good light to overwinter the plants up here in the PacNW, so I punted and got this setup. Had one survivor from last year; everything else decided to croak over a drill weekend right after I repotted them, which was maddening. So I'm starting from scratch. If my seedlings survive, I'll have serranos, pepperoncinis, ghost/scorpion hybrids, and chocolate ghosts. I have to replant the two kinds of habaneros that decided to commit seppuku. But I figure this can hold seven potted peppers and some basil and cilantro on the side.

I harvested a ripe jalapeno last night, diced it, and had it on some tacos, though, so I haven't totally hosed up.

ABMD

Right on. Thanks brother.

My cousin - who has much more free time than I do - rode his bicycle solo from the Mexico-US border to the Canada-US border (IVO Mountain Time Zone of Longitude) last summer. Took him about a month.
Sounds like he did the Great Divide race. It starts on Canada/US boarder and ends on the US/Mexico boarder along the continental divide. Had a friend do it a few years ago, fully self supported. Same guy raced across Florida (East to West).

exNavyOffRec

Hard to get good light to overwinter the plants up here in the PacNW, so I punted and got this setup. Had one survivor from last year; everything else decided to croak over a drill weekend right after I repotted them, which was maddening. So I'm starting from scratch. If my seedlings survive, I'll have serranos, pepperoncinis, ghost/scorpion hybrids, and chocolate ghosts. I have to replant the two kinds of habaneros that decided to commit seppuku. But I figure this can hold seven potted peppers and some basil and cilantro on the side.

I harvested a ripe jalapeno last night, diced it, and had it on some tacos, though, so I haven't totally hosed up.

View attachment 25242View attachment 25243View attachment 25244

Have you ordered seeds from pepper joe's? last year I produced ghost, reapers, scorpions and a host of other hot peppers. I am trying to start some from seeds this year which is going eh.... luckily a guy I know grows tons each year and ends up giving me plants, so this year as a thanks I bought a bunch of seeds from him, so I will like usual be getting plants from him.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Have you ordered seeds from pepper joe's? last year I produced ghost, reapers, scorpions and a host of other hot peppers. I am trying to start some from seeds this year which is going eh.... luckily a guy I know grows tons each year and ends up giving me plants, so this year as a thanks I bought a bunch of seeds from him, so I will like usual be getting plants from him.
The chocolate ghosts were from Bohica Pepper Company. The rest were Pepper Joe's. Somewhere in my house is lurking another envelope of Ghor-Pion seeds that I lost. And yeah, my seed-growing efforts this year are "meh." The goal was to keep them inside so they can be perennials, and I can have hot peppers year-round. But I'm not sure if I'm overwatering them or what. Maybe they need to be warmer. They seem to be slow growing and the jalapeno is leggy. Hence the tent and light. My previous setup was a smaller grow light, but it hijacked my ladder and a C-clamp or two.