• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Quarantine Activities

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
A note. All of us did get cooped up earlier this year with the whole quarantine thing. Those of use who had these things called “lives” decided to start this thread to talk about whatever harmless stuff we were doing this year as the world went insane.

Rest assured that if you lack a life, and are reduced to continuously commenting on the Internet about how only your politics or only your epidemiology are correct, you have our sympathies. We hope that one day, you will meet a human being of your preferred gender whose name doesn’t end in “.jpg,” or at least that you find a therapist who you can talk to about your obsessive behavior.

In the interim, please direct potshots about whether or not “quarantine” is still a valid term to the War Zone where all the shit-flinging belongs. This is a harmless thread for talking about home improvement, gardening, skateboarding, fine booze, delicious smoked meats, and other such enjoyable things.

.... Unfortunately there is noting to quote anymore because in the normal display of Mod hypocrisy it was deleted....

Just like I thought would happen....a Mod gets to post an attack on members of this forum he doesn't agree with but when he's called on it, the caller's post is deleted.

Typical lack of integrity continually demonstrated by certain Mods here. Must be nice to be special and not live by the same rules as the rest of us.

Of course this post will probably be deleted too.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I avoided the Egg/Kamodo Joe wave and I'm glad I did. Everyone who spent serious kimchi on them always espoused the virtues, but I never saw any value. It's more of a ceramic oven than grill, and most people just overcooked the shit out of stuff after getting it rocket hot to show off.

I have a Weber Kettle w/ gas assist start and a Weber gas grill. Between both options I can hit the easy button or do something fancier. Also a big sous vide person. Low cost to entry and you can do some seriously cool stuff with cheap cuts of meat.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Speaking of overcooking stuff,

GkNb.gif

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I use my crappy $200 grill from Home Depot and my $120,000 degree in Animal Science from Iowa State to make my steaks.
Spend your money on good meat (grain fed beef, not grass fed...flavor is in the marbling), solid prep work (to your individual flavor) and learn the sweet spot on your grill.

I’m a 1” Grain-fed ribeye, cut slices in the edge fat so it doesn’t curl, light coat of Montreal Steak seasoning, eight minutes total, flip every two minutes, should land just past rare in a cool medium rare, and let it sit for five minutes to allow the muscle fibers relax.

Pick a good wine to accompany, and a cruciferous vegetable to go with. I prefer an Italian Chianti and grilled asparagus.

Heat is heat, you can’t make shit beef better by seasoning your way out.

Pickle

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Spend your money on good meat (grain fed beef, not grass fed...flavor is in the marbling), solid prep work (to your individual flavor) and learn the sweet spot on your grill.
The flavor difference between grain fed and grass fed is probably in the ratio of Omega 3 to Omega 6 fatty acids. Grass fed is probably 1:3 ratio whereas grain fed is more like 1:9. Grass fed tends to taste “fishy” - which, if you consider that fish oil is high in Omega 3’s, makes a lot of sense. The best way to mask the occasionally “fishy” taste of grass fed beef is with the thyme, salt, and pepper.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
The flavor difference between grain fed and grass fed is probably in the ratio of Omega 3 to Omega 6 fatty acids. Grass fed is probably 1:3 ratio whereas grain fed is more like 1:9. Grass fed tends to taste “fishy” - which, if you consider that fish oil is high in Omega 3’s, makes a lot of sense. The best way to mask the occasionally “fishy” taste of grass fed beef is with the thyme, salt, and pepper.
If you have to mask anything, you are eating the wrong meat...but yes, concur.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I avoided the Egg/Kamodo Joe wave and I'm glad I did. Everyone who spent serious kimchi on them always espoused the virtues, but I never saw any value. It's more of a ceramic oven than grill, and most people just overcooked the shit out of stuff after getting it rocket hot to show off.

I have a Weber Kettle w/ gas assist start and a Weber gas grill. Between both options I can hit the easy button or do something fancier. Also a big sous vide person. Low cost to entry and you can do some seriously cool stuff with cheap cuts of meat.

I've had a ton of success on mine as a smoker, pizza oven, normal grill for burgers and the like, steaks on the cast iron griddle, grilled veggies or fruits, etc.

It's actually pretty versatile. The downside is the prep work getting it going, but there are few tricks to get it up to temp fast, like shoving a leaf blower into it and really giving the fire a nice breath of fresh air. There are a bunch of aftermarket things that make maintaining temp a breeze. I have had good luck with the daisy wheel and main vent, but it took a little trial and error to get there.

The taste of grilling over actual charcoal is worth the trouble. Gas sucks.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lumber Jack actually makes pellets that are part hickory and part charcoal, just to try to get that taste. I'm trying some on burgers and sausages.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
I've had a ton of success on mine as a smoker, pizza oven, normal grill for burgers and the like, steaks on the cast iron griddle, grilled veggies or fruits, etc.

It's actually pretty versatile. The downside is the prep work getting it going, but there are few tricks to get it up to temp fast, like shoving a leaf blower into it and really giving the fire a nice breath of fresh air. There are a bunch of aftermarket things that make maintaining temp a breeze. I have had good luck with the daisy wheel and main vent, but it took a little trial and error to get there.

Agreed. Nothing like the flavor of natural lump charcoal.

Fyi, have you tried soaking a paper towel with oil and using that as a firestarter. My wife can't stand that it takes time to get the egg going, but good things come to those who wait.

People who are cranking the heat and overcooking their food would probably do the same thing on a gas grill. To me, I enjoy the patient cook and with a large family I can smoke a shoulder and eat off off of it for days. Or, I can be versatile and cook burgers hot and fast. To me, the egg is versatile in ways others grills can't touch.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Nah, I just buy the little starter squares and put them in the chimney. Light a Whole Foods paper bag on fire (the delicious irony adds to the mesquite flavor) at the bottom of the chimney, drink a beer or four, then get down to the business of turning dead animals into future cancer.