• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Putting down a wild pig/boar

irontri

We have a 150-175 pound pig terrorizing our backyard. Poisoning and trapping are out of the question as we have a dog and there are deer (which aren't causing too much damage). The county will charge us an arm and a leg and take forever to remove.

I have a .22 rifle with hollow points and a .410 shotgun. Will either of these lay him down or do I need something bigger? If so, what's the smallest and cheapest I would need? Sorry, my hunting days are from long ago.

I can only get within about 50yds or so. I sprayed him once with the .410 and he squealed and ran. Probably like 5 bee stings to him. The shot was bird shot (all I had at the time).

Thanks for any help. Free pork to anyone who helps!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Try one of these ... I think they equate to .729 caliber ... that's .... BIG.

Here Piggy ... here pig, here pig .... s-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-e-e-e-e-e-e, pig !!! :)

xrep_banner05.jpg

TruBallBox&Cutaway.jpg
brenneke_r10_f.jpg

jdw006

A well placed .410 slug would do the trick. I've seen a 60ish pound hog taken with a very well placed .22 mag. Fat chance of taking that sucker down with a .22 LR.

Zee916

To kill it with a .22 you'll need to headshot it.

If you can shoot, that is really nothing from 50 yards.

Killed at least 5 this way on my ranch and others with a 1911 Colt .45.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Naaaaaaaaa .... rifled cartridges are not the answer in the described "back yard" scenario ... think over-penetration and blowing away little Johnny-I-never-did-like-that-kid-anyway next door ... :eek:

Some jurisdictions that will not let you "hunt" w/ rifled cartridges will allow buck and/or shotgun slugs.

Hmmmm ... mebbe 3-4 loads of OO in the bacon & sausage. I still like a shotgun slug for take-down ability.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
everyone suggesting gun advice is all wrong on this one. an opportunity for something truly sweet is being missed.

go at this man vs wild style. Tape a big ass kitchen knife to a long stick, hide in a tree wearing nothing but a loin cloth, and rain down piggy death from above.

it will be awesome.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I wish someone could add a .wav file of dueling banjo's when people enter this thread...it would seem fitting.