• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PT Uniform

Pags

N/A
pilot
I will never understand why we didn't just go with black or blue shorts and the brown t shirt. So much for KISS....

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Is the "modesty liner" really that uncomfortable? What is it, like a built in panty type thing - like in track shorts? Why is it there, are the shorts semi-transparent, or for like situps so you don't see someone's stuff?

And agreed with everything S.O.B. said.

The transparency issue arises from the shirt. Personally, I sweat like a mofo down here in the south when I run, and neither of us running looked see through. I could perhaps see an issue with some women being uncomfortable with it, but as a guy I much prefer the lighter new PT shirt over the heavy cotton thing we had to use in OCS (bonus: new shirt won't chaf nipples). The shirts are all a bit big around the shoulders and a bit long (I'm 5'9" and 150 lbs).

The "modesty liner" is a little snug, but not uncomfortably so. Once you start moving you don't even notice it. And both my running partner and I bought a size shorts that was smaller than the ones we'd ordinarilly wear because they were out of mediums, and we thought we had to have the PT gear for this week. Ironically, the waste band is already too big for us as a small. Unless you're too fat, I don't see why the shorts would be an issue.

Overall, I don't care about how the PT uniform looks because you wear it to work out, not look good. I care about the fit, and to me they don't fit so bad that it warrants a sensational Navy Times article and a complete re-do.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Spekkio said:
Overall, I don't care about how the PT uniform looks because you wear it to work out, not look good.

If you're not going to look good, what's the point of the uniform? I thought the goal was to look more professional, more military. I think the AF and Army PT gear looks like crap, and is not very military looking - more like something a high school track team would wear, a crappy track team at that.

I think the whole thing is unnecessary. Very few navy units do group PT (that I've seen in 7 years), and those that do usually wear the current Navy PT gear, which I think looks OK. The only group PT I have done since API has been PRTs, during which you should wear whatever the hell makes you most comfortable. Total waste of time and money.

Can't we just f'ing PT?

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Spekkio, I understand the shirt becoming transparent... but what purpose does the "modesty" liner serve? Is there an issue with the shorts being "immodest" if you will and if so, why didn't they just design the shorts differently? Is the modesty liner like a brief/panty or that mesh stuff in a lot of bathing suits? Just seems odd that a pair of shorts have them.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Is the modesty liner like a brief/panty or that mesh stuff in a lot of bathing suits? Just seems odd that a pair of shorts have them.

If its the same as it was in NROTC, you're on the right track. Not mesh though, its a silky-type material. I guess to help keep your PT-partner's eyeballs functional after holding your feet in curl-ups. :D That, and I'd imagine some peoples nuts swing reeeeeaaaallly low.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Spekkio, I understand the shirt becoming transparent... but what purpose does the "modesty" liner serve? Is there an issue with the shorts being "immodest" if you will and if so, why didn't they just design the shorts differently? Is the modesty liner like a brief/panty or that mesh stuff in a lot of bathing suits? Just seems odd that a pair of shorts have them.
Yes, it's like a bathing suit liner, except it's a weird material and a little more snug around the thighs than a normal bathing suit would be (which I attributed to buying a size smaller than I normally wear, but I could be mistaken).

Why it's there? I have no f'in clue. At OCS, the PT shorts doubled up as a bathing suit, so there might be some other commands that use it as such? The only "immodest" part about the previous PT shorts is how much man thigh was showing on the PT field.

PropStop

pilot
Contributor
I think it's comical that $3M was spent to come up with a pair of shorts and a T-shirt with "NAVY" stenciled on them.

oh come on, quit being so cynical! This is cutting edge technology man. It isn't like there's a company or companies out there who actually make PT gear and have spent millions of dollars in PT gear research. The Navy, once again, is leading the way with technology!

nugget81

pilot
I would have liked to see the Navy contract with UnderArmour or Nike Dri-fit. Each company makes a quality product in the colors that the Navy wants and all it would take is a quick silkscreen to make the clothing a "uniform". But that would have all been too simple....

SkywardET

Contrarian
The modesty liner is there because the shorts are too damn short. The longer version goes to two inches above my knees.

The shirt is a damn sweat towel that collects every drop and keeps it forever, which means for eight+ hours after morning PT until I do laundry it is brewing funk. Duty days during PT days really suck. I am currently experimenting with whole-torso antiperspirant techniques out of necessity.

Why couldn't we have gone with just a cotton shirt and any decent pair of shorts? Or maybe upgrade to what actual athletes use? This "technology demonstrator" uniform is a brainchild of bureaucratic stupidity. Maybe we need more firings, not fewer...

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I think it's comical that $3M was spent to come up with a pair of shorts and a T-shirt with "NAVY" stenciled on them.

Yeah, it a lot of $$. But you're missing the real point: designing a new PT uni gave the guys in TFU something to do for 3 years. And a viable excuse not to PT themselves.

"Sorry, skipper, I can't PT today. Waaaayyy too busy designing the new PT uniform.":icon_wink

Nikki2184

stop crying in your beer...

a uniform is a uniform. get over it. it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea. there are just too many people in the navy to make everyone happy.

as for the idea of a PT uniform in general...coming from a joint command, nothing looks sloppier than having a bunch of mis-matched sailors wearing whatever they rolled out of bed in doing PT on the same field as a bunch of army guys who all have their nice matching shorts. as for a PRT, yea, we should wear whatever we are most comfortable in, but for command PT, it looks better to have everyone matching, trivial as it may sound.

P.S. personally, I'm glad that I won't have to worry about seeing girls whose shorts come just under the cheeks with "juicy" written on their a$$...some people just can't use common sense. Thus, we make even something as simple as PT gear "sailor proof".

PropStop

pilot
Contributor
a uniform is a uniform. get over it. it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea. there are just too many people in the navy to make everyone happy.

wow, I don't know who you are as your bio is scant on details, but I'm thinking (maybe wrongly) that you've not been in too long. It is a sailors purpose in life to bitch about the Navy. I think the whole PT uniform is stupid and I don't mind listing my reasons why. I won't "get over it". I'll comply with the regulations, because that's what I do, but I don't have to be cheery about it!