• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PSA-Toe Nail Removal

Bevo16

pilot
I didn't realize that the "no sick call" stupidity was that wide spread.

This shit needs to be addressed at every CO's call from now until someone comes to their senses.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I can't believe what I'm reading herein .... there's NO SICK CALL ANYMORE ?!?!?!?!?

The end is near ... the country is dying.
:(

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I can't believe what I'm reading herein .... there's NO SICK CALL ANYMORE ?!?!?!?!?

The end is near ... the country is dying.
:(

Settle down everyone one....there's more to the story.

@C420Sailor:

Not sure why Corpus does it that way, but Whiting had an up-chit sick call every morning before appointments. They even had a second one at 1300 for guys who were on the night schedule.

For what it's worth, Mayport is the first BMC I've been to in years that actually has a sick call and guess what, that doesn't work either. There's only one sick call, so if you're on the night schedule you're out of luck. When you do show up, you end up waiting hours due to the man power.

While I'm no fan of Navy medicine on the BMC level, I blame the powers that be for not having enough docs. Whiting was pretty good usually, since you knew your individual doc. K-Bay was okay because we had our own doc. Mayport absolutely sucks because there's 3 docs covering 6 squadrons and usually one doc is TAD or on leave.

My point? While it might all be "bad," things aren't the same bad everywhere.

MasterBates

The E-2 RAG is the first squadron that I have been in where Doc actually has an office, and can be seen in the squadron on a regular basis. If I just need to see doc for something like an upchit or a "does this look infected to you" thing, it's fine.

It's when you have to deal with ANYONE not your doc or squadron HM that it goes to shit here.

I don't expect to get instant service, but just picking up prescription that's in the computer shouldn't take an hour-plus with you having to wait there either. I've never had to wait at a .civ pharmacy like that. There has been stuff they have had to compound and TOOK an hour, but it was a "we will call you when it's ready" sort of deal.

Bevo16

pilot
The E-2 RAG is the first squadron that I have been in where Doc actually has an office, and can be seen in the squadron on a regular basis. If I just need to see doc for something like an upchit or a "does this look infected to you" thing, it's fine.

I really hope that the "thing" that you were asking if it "looked infected" is not related to the story that you were telling earlier in the thread.

We always had a squadron Flight Doc at HS-8, and a dedicated HM-2 aka "baby doc". That was the way to go.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
But today's problem? Getting a prescription filled. I take an antiviral drug off and on that I have been on for years (you've seen the ads on TV). I take a non-standard dose, because it's how I can take it in a manner that actually works and I stay within NOMI's limits for the medicine without going med down.

TMI. :eek:

Brett

Flugelman

Contributor
While I was waiting, one of the retirees took the time (he had plenty) to enlighten me on crap that they have to go through to get their prescriptions.

Not sure why the retired guy has a problem, unless he doesn't want to pay the $4 co-pay (on most meds). I can get most any prescription filled at any civvie pharmacy with just my SSN and ID card on Tricare for Life (before that, Tricare Prime) prescription benefits. The Express Scripts 90-day mail order online pharmacy gets us our meds in less than a week from date of order, at a $9 co-pay.

That's one of the things that scares me about Congress fucking with the health care. I'm afraid they will screw this up beyond FUBAR.

On the toenail, I did that about 50 years ago, the nail fell off by itself a couple of weeks later, and has NEVER grown back normally. Ugly as sin...

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
BTDT on the nail (broken thumb, turned blue and swelled at a visible rate, got the nail plucked out with forceps in the ER with copious painkillers). Watching the gnarly thing grow back was quite fun, too.

Same scenario, better outcome - Dremel tools really do have 1001 uses...

dremel.gif

(Important safety tip: Use one of the drill bits, not an abrasive...)

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
That sucks but glad it worked out in the end. This line made the story though:

The thing is starting to turn silly colors that crayloa will not put in a box because they don't want to scare the kids.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Glad you were able to work this out Bevo. When I had my first hip replacement surgery I suffered some nerve damage, I've since smashed my toe countless times without knowing just how bad it was till the nail turned black. I've just suffered through the redneck method to handle it though.

Bevo16

pilot
I think that the redneck method would have been adequate until I got stepped on at football practice. That took it to a whole 'nother level.

BUDU

God, that sucks.

I had that happen to a fingernail back in March--opened a window really fast and pinched it in the frame. I went to the campus student health service and the "doctor" there told me to take an aspirin. Having never done anything like it before, I figured they knew what they were talking about and wrote it off as nothing serious. A friend finally noticed it a couple days afterward and told me I should do the redneck procedure, but by then the swelling had gone down and the blood had dried, so it seemed to be too late.

Took a few months, but the nail finally just grew out and the discolored part fell off.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
As one who has gotten that shot recently......
I gotta hand it to ya, younger Brother ... in 20 years of NAVY and 30 years of airlines ... in all the gin-joints and all the bars in all the towns in all the world .... I've never seen ANYONE admit to 'it' -- publicly.

Brave new world, or what ... huh???

87183068.jpg

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I gotta hand it to ya, younger Brother ... in 20 years of NAVY and 30 years of airlines ... in all the gin-joints and all the bars in all the towns in all the world .... I've never seen ANYONE admit to 'it' -- publicly.

Brave new world, or what ... huh???

87183068.jpg

I've never heard someone admit it publicly in front of one's girlfriend who'd never met this person....the candidness is aplaudable sometimes....and scary at others.