• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK tommorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Alright, what's the story on NAMI still taking waivers for PRK? One day you hear that it's almost automatic to get it, and then another rumor sparks that they're not taking anymore waivers. Can someone with the facts let us know? Thanks.

perotti17

I know a few guys that are getting PRK still. They dont seem to have a problem with getting waivers. Your doc just has to fill out a sheet of paper and sign it.

OOH RAH KILL

Well if this helps....here's my story:
I went to OCS this summer for PLC Juniors. (India Co. 1st Increment..."IF IT AINT RAININ, WE AINT TRAININ.") (KICK ASS TIME, I CAN NOT WAIT FOR "The Big Show" next summer) Originally I had a NFO contract (20/200 eyes), and was told by my OSO that all I needed to do was get the PRK surgery after OCS and would be good to go to switch to Naval Aviator contract if my new eyes were within the requirements. Well I had PRK in late July after OCS, and during the initial recovery I got a call from my OSO and he told me that there might be a problem. He said that THE MARINE CORPS might not be taking anymore PRK aviator contracts. I had to apply through the whole waiver process and I had to wait 3 months after the surgery to have a final eye examination because supposedly it takes 3 months to completely heal. So, I took those annoying ass eye drops until late October and had a final eye exam with my civilian doctor. My eyes both turned out to be 20/15. I had to have all of my paperworks from the doctor, including detailed pre op and post op exam papers sent to NAMI. I had a letter written by my OSO stating that I didn't know the facts about getting approved before the procedure or anything and I also had some of my OCS stats sent. I graduated second in the company from Juniors, so I am not too sure if that helped my waiver get through, but it still took a while. I just heard about 2 weeks ago that my waiver was approved and I just filled out the official paper work which changes my contract to 7599. Im even more rediculously motivated since I got that news. Well, overall I'm obviously happy that I had the procedure done and with the way that it all worked out. However, my recommendation is to talk very thoroughly with your OSO before the exam and procedure and make sure you've filled out all of the proper paperwork, and just make sure that you realize that the PRK is approved on a CASE BY CASE basis. There are no gaurantees going into the surgery. The Navy and Marine Corps are evaluating Midshipmen and candidates based upon their whole package and the results of their surgery.

Hope this helps.

STAY MOTIVATED. KILL.

reapergm

Bad news for reaper - Left eye has remaining astigmatism. Increased steroid drops. If it doesnt improve, I will need to get a "touch up". That means 2 things. 1 - I have to start the 6 month wait again after that touch up, and 2, I think that might look bad. Im pissed. But I know I had really bad pre-op refraction. What can you do. I will still bust some arse to get in.

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
Damn Reaper, I'm sorry to hear that. Don't worry, they should be able to fix your eyes and then you'll fly!! It might just take a little more time.

Ben

DBLang

PLC Candidate
Thanks for that info OOHRAH KILL. My OSO told me I could go to juniors as an NFO contract, have PRK after, and then switch to SNA. I wasn't sure if it was possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.