• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK tommorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

reapergm

Well, time is up! I have the PRK tommorrow.. so no posting for me for alittle bit. I am a tad nervous. I will let you guys know asap how it went. Just to let you know my pre-op stuff.. I am -6.25 each eye (yeah, that means 6 month wait). I am having both done at the same time. Wish me luck, Im out! -Reaps

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
what ever you do, don't sneeze when your eye lid is being held open, your eyeball will fly out!!!

Ben

reapergm

LOL, thanks ben! Well, I didnt think I would be able to post this fast, but I can. I feel GREAT!!! NO PAIN! Sometimes I feel as if I have a dirty contact on, and my eyes tear a bit, but the drops help. But the severe pain everyone tells me about hasnt hit yet.

The procedure was really fast. Took about 20 minutes pre op. They put me in the chair, laid me back. They taped my left eye open first, then used a metal clamp to keep it open. Used a ton of anesthesia. Then they put this cylindrical thing on my eye to make a well. They used a liquid to burn off the epithelium layer of my cornea, and then scraped it off. Rinsed a few times and then dryed it off with a swab. Then I was staring under this BRIGHT light with a red dot in the middle. When they were ready, the white light went off, and I stared into the red blinking light. 20 seconds, a clicking noise and a slight burning smell and it was over. Did the other eye and I was set. I sat up and was able to see, but it was blurry. NOTHING HURT AT ALL!!! REAL QUICK!

10 hours later - I can now see about 20/60 or so (Im guessing). I can see most things, but its kind of like having a year old prescription contact in my eye. Clear, but not yet perfect. I havent felt pain, but Stevew says it might kick in tommorrow. I did feel some dyness and burning when I woke up from my nap. Anyhow. Keep you guys posted.

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
It will get worse before it gets better. The first day you'll see fine, it'll keep getting worse till they take off the contacts at T+4 days. I'm glad it went well.

Ben

frenchco

Glad to hear everything went so well. I had my PRK on Oct. 7 and I was -7.25 and -6.5 and now I am almost up to 20/20! Just continue with what your doctor says and everything will go fine. But Ill tell you one thing, the steroid drops that you will start in a few days are disgusting! Good luck and keep us posted!

Welcome to the club! I had PRK on halloween day just over a year ago. It's amazing...had a few days of discomfort and a few more of recovering vision...but now I'm 20/10. Couldn't be happier. Glad to hear you're doing well. Have fun with the goggles and the antibacterial goop!

reapergm

OH my lord was neocortex right. I woke up today in HELL!!! My eyes were in PAIN!!! I couldnt really open my eyes, but I got some more anesthetic drop at the eye doc appointment and Ive been ok the rest of the day. Feels allright now, still alittle blurry. I just hope I get 20/20 eventually... (little paranoid that I will be stuck like this). I just have to listen to all you guys who have gotten it done. I wish I had better sleeping goggles. They gave me 2 separate pieces to tape on my eyes. Annoying. But whatever.

Daedalus- I got it done by a place called TLC - Laser Eye Center in Elmwood Park NJ. They have locations all over. http://www.tlcvision.com/ They were awesome, really friendly and quick. They normally charge 5000$ for custom PRK, but I got a deal. I only paid 3800$. They gave me $ off b/c I told them I wanted it to fly for the Marines. They give discounts for military, police and fire dept. GOOD TIMES!

Side note - I was reading about the procedure. I read that some docs remove the epithelium different. Some use laser, some (mine) use manual. They removed mine by putting this "well" in, using a liquid and scraping it off. Did any of you guys have yours laser removed?

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
Good grief boy..stay off the computer and rest your eyes!!!! by the way, just so ya know, I had my 3 month appointment today..and have been a stable 20/15 since mid october!! it feels good....just keep on taking care of your eyes. and as far as those pain relieving drops go, my doctor didn't give me any to take home because if the eyes start hurting more than they should it could mean they're getting infected, or that a contact slipped and this way he would know in time to do something about it. So if I were you I would just grit my teeth and deal with it for a bit instead of using those drops, just as a precaution.

stevew

Reaper, before they do the procedure I don't think they remove the epithelium, they just clean it as to prevent infection. I think that this is the primary difference between LASEK and PRK. PRK they clean the epithelium manually, LASEK they use the laser thing.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Congrats on the 3 month checkup Wildflyin. Let us know how getting the waiver goes. Reaper, good luck with recovery. Keep us updated. Happy Thanksgiving everyone. God Bless.

frenchco

I had LASEK and they removed the epithelium manually. It was a rather uncomfortable procedure. The only difference between PRK and LASEK is in LASEK they put the epithelium back one and in PRK they just discard it. By putting it back on, it reduces the discomfort while the new epithelium is growing. They only used a laser after the epithelium was removed. I was in absolutely no pain when I had it done, during or after.

Status
Not open for further replies.